Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 MDX has 32K miles, mostly local, around town driving. I am very gentle on the brakes and recently have begun to notice a very minor pulsation. However, during a recent road trip the pulsation was very pronounced while braking at highway speeds. I am very upset that that is happening with so few miles on the car. (My other car is a BMW with 65K, driven aggressively, original rotors and has never had a pulsation issue!!). The MDX is still under warranty and I want the dealer to correct the problem. I had a similar issue year ago on a new 2004 TSX which was under warranty and the dealer replaced the rotors and pads. I am reading a great deal that the MDX rotors are not very robust and just don't last, and are prone to warping. Has anyone had a similar experience with MDX? How did the Acura dealer address the situation?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 34k on my 2016 advanced AWD, and it is doing the same thing.

Took to the dealer and he said my tires are worn and those are causing it (wouldn’t even talk further until I replace the tires which still have a good 10k like left on them). Well I replaced the tires this month and still that pulsating/shuddering while braking is happening. It is more pronounced at highway speeds.

I believe this is a feature in Honda/Acura about warped rotors (my previous accords and pilot had that issue as well). The Honda dealers were just nicer and admitted the issues and fixed it. Acura dealers are in denial mode for anything I point out to them until I keep bothering them consistently.

I will be going back again next week and see what they can do. Meanwhile if anyone else has any suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can't believe the dealer was too daft to realize that pulsating when braking would almost certainly be warped rotors and not worn tires. Ridiculous. My suggestion - go to a different dealer, or the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You may be able to get the dealer to service it under warranty.

It could be the tires, rotors or the caliper.

In my experience the rear rotor “warps” before the front. In my case I had a frozen caliper pin which created some odd braking sensation. I replaced the rotors, pads and cleaned up and lubed the caliper slide pins.

While I needed to do the front I expected the highway brake shudder to be better but it wasn’t.

Later that week I replaced the rear rotors, pads and cleaned up and lubed up the pins and it’s like new.

I used Raybestos Rotors.
Raybestos 981063R Professional Grade Brake Rotor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N63D8CF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hD62AbSBEMNGR

·
Registered
740 Posts
best guess is warped front rotors.You'd feel tires whether braking or not. Very common on MDX. Acura has changed the part number it is so frequent. Normally they don't cover it under warranty because it is considered a wear item. Ours was done under warranty but only because the dealer certified it as a CPO 250 miles before and missed the warped rotors.

IMHO - the only way that Acura will start covering it under warranty and make some refunds is if everyone contacts NHTSA and files a complaint about how they did, or could have lost control in a hard braking situation and that someone could have been seriously injured. Once enough owners file complaints at low miles then NHTSA and Acura will discuss making a recall. As of today for example only 35 owners of 2015 Acura MDX's have made complaints to NHTSA out of all the 2015 MDXs sold. Read thru them and one will see that very few are about brakes. They are just the normal type complaints - sunroof problems, loose bolt, lane departure warning error or sudden activation of CMBS system etc. 2014 has 97 complaints. Y'all need to speak up on the brakes when they warp for no reason with light driving. Both my 2014 and 2015 had warped rotors by the time I bought them at 20,000 - 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the car scheduled to go into the shop on Wednesday and will report on Acura's response to the problem. Every thread I am reading clearly shows that the brake design is less than robust. Frankly, if they give me any grief I will be taking it up with American Honda customer service.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My 2016 MDX has 32K miles, mostly local, around town driving. I am very gentle on the brakes and recently have begun to notice a very minor pulsation. However, during a recent road trip the pulsation was very pronounced while braking at highway speeds. I am very upset that that is happening with so few miles on the car. (My other car is a BMW with 65K, driven aggressively, original rotors and has never had a pulsation issue!!). The MDX is still under warranty and I want the dealer to correct the problem. I had a similar issue year ago on a new 2004 TSX which was under warranty and the dealer replaced the rotors and pads. I am reading a great deal that the MDX rotors are not very robust and just don't last, and are prone to warping. Has anyone had a similar experience with MDX? How did the Acura dealer address the situation?
I had this same problem. Warped rotors. The dealer replace my front rotors and pads for free. I had this done at 18,000 miles or 32,000 km.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Acura dealer is replacing the rotors and pads no charge. They indicated that the rotors are a new part number that they must order. I can only assume, and hope, that this new part number is an improved version of the prior rotor design.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
553 Posts
The Acura dealer is replacing the rotors and pads no charge. They indicated that the rotors are a new part number that they must order. I can only assume, and hope, that this new part number is an improved version of the prior rotor design.
Lucky you. I recently took my 2014 with 54K miles with same issue, dealer tech says ALL rotors are SEVERELY WARPED and wants $1200+ to replace all. I declined the service and walked out.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Hi there. Since your car is about the same mileage and same age as mine, is it possible for you to post a pic of the work order after you get it back? I am hoping to show it to my dealer here to try to convince them to replace under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
rotors

I started to experience brake pedal pulsation at 7k miles on my 2017. I'm a brake pumper and not hard on brakes. I never had a car warp rotors as fast as this one. The dealer replaced the front rotors, under warranty of course, and the pulsations stopped. Service manager told me that the normal fix is to cut the rotors, but after a bit of pressure from me, replaced them. Turning them down only makes them thinner and even more prone to warp. But after 12k miles, rotors are no longer warrantied, so I'm a bit worried about "life after 12k".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our 2012 MDX has never had this problem (now with 250,000 miles and still going strong - it's just so dang irreplaceable). However, our '87 Prelude did - when new, it was constantly warping rotors. At that time, we were told that it was because my wife was TOO gentle on the brakes. Their explanation was that because she would brake lightly, she had to brake for a longer period of time. This allows more heat to build up over a longer time and contribute to the warping.

Now I think there is some logic to the response. Certainly the worst thing someone can do on a clutch is to be too long during the friction stage. However I don't know if it is accurate for brakes. But, if it is accurate, when I hear people claim that they "brake lightly" - like it's a good thing - I think that may very well not be a fair defense - but actually the cause.

I am definitely not particularly soft on my cars (Porsches and S2000) - and have never had this problem either.

I should add that when I have had a particularly hot run, and I know my brakes are hot and I come to a stoplight, once I stop, I will lift my foot off the brake and roll a little so that the heat is not trapped under the pads in one localized spot. That is also a quick way to warp rotors.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So one can car to the Honda Dealer for Warrenty work . I wasn’t aware of that ..
Nope. Only Acura dealers can perform warranty service on Acura vehicles.

You can take your Acura to a Honda dealer for customer-paid services... The Honda techs will be familiar with most of the mechanical systems and they should carry all the right fluids... But you'll be paying for those services out-of-pocket.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
The feeling of warped OEM rotors/pads has been a common complaint on every Acura forum I've been on since 2006. The final conclusion seems to be the uneven distribution of high/low spots of brake pad material on the rotors over time causing the feeling of warped rotors. Brakes would only last around 30,000 miles in the good old days and replacing pads and turning rotors happened on a regular basis. Now since modern pads can last +100,000 miles, it is much harder to have them work flawlessly over that much time. It happens at different rates for different drivers because driving environments and how you drive your vehicle. I usually feel the "warp" around 70,000 miles with OEM rotors/pads (400,000 miles between all three vehicles). Turning your OEM rotors with the same pads will correct the "warp"; but, it just going to re-start the issue in about the same amount of time all over again.

The only fixes that seems to work for most are to change to non-OEM pads, upgrade the rotors, or do both. I upgraded my rotors/pads to Racing brake slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines and Carbotech 1521 pads at 30,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv. I've haven't had a hint of warp with +110,000 miles on the odo now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.