Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video of the problem.

After I pushed the start button with the break pressed, the car wouldn't start. I only heard a lot of clicking sounds and all lights were blinking. But there was no cranking sound. I can still go to the accessory mode if the brake is not pressed when I push the start button.

I tried to jump start the car with another car and still had the same problem. Any idea what caused the problem?

The car just went out of warranty last month. Really sad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Take the battery and have it checked. My guess a bad battery. BTW, a shorted battery can prevent even a jump start.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also am betting on a bad battery. Today’s electronics go crazy if not fed the proper power.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This the exactly the same happened to my 15 when my battery is failing, but it didn't blink as long as you. First 2 times I was getting help from a jumper, didn't need to wait, once they are connected, it started, the third time I was getting jump start from my friend's car, I waited like around 8 mins then start the car.

·
Registered
713 Posts
battery. You need heavy duty cables to be able to consistently jump start a car. Be very careful not to reverse the polarity or $$$$$$ damage to other things will result.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Hmm curious why the jumpstart didn't work...

But yes this is what happens when the battery is dead. I didn't even bother testing and just got a replacement, but i was able to jump and go to Costco to get the replacement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
I highly recommend buying a portable lithium jump-start battery and keep it charged and in the car. I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBYCFZC/ref=dp_cerb_1 I have started several cars and a van with V-8 engines, and they turned faster and started in less time than with the car's own battery under normal conditions. Unfortunately a jump only works if the battery is dead, not if it is shorted. I tried to help one van and it pulled the voltage down and wouldn't budge. A boat with a pair of big Rotax engines was also very difficult due to some un-diagnosed problem. If a battery is just old and dead that is easy to start and then replace the battery, but sometimes the battery is dead due to some fault in the wiring or is internally shorted; that requires a battery transplant in situ. Most of the time this jump just works. BTW for these systems it is a bad idea to leave them connected for any time - just connect them and start, don't try to charge the car battery. They have more than enough current capacity to turn the engine over but not the power to charge the battery in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Video of the problem.

After I pushed the start button with the break pressed, the car wouldn't start. I only heard a lot of clicking sounds and all lights were blinking. But there was no cranking sound. I can still go to the accessory mode if the brake is not pressed when I push the start button.

I tried to jump start the car with another car and still had the same problem. Any idea what caused the problem?

Thanks!
I experienced the similar problem today with my MDX. So what was the problem that you found out for your car? Was that really battery problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
But Everything was normal when I left my house, stopped by a gas station for gas, then stopped by Safeway, then stopped by a Community Center for about 20 minutes, then the problem happened when I am ready to go home. If it were the battery, why I could drive around with no problem? The headlight was bright as normal then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
But Everything was normal when I left my house, stopped by a gas station for gas, then stopped by Safeway, then stopped by a Community Center for about 20 minutes, then the problem happened when I am ready to go home. If it were the battery, why I could drive around with no problem? The headlight was bright as normal then.
I just realized its 3 times this happen to me:

1. I accidentally left the passenger door half-close.
2.My wife left the visor/mirror light on.
3. my dashcam drain the battery.

Overall dumb little things, what I for sure can tell you is that Honda batteries SUCK! If anything, go get it tested, but i will just buy a new one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
how old is your battery? did it start for a second and then die? And then these clicks?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had no issues with my battery but multiple threads of this nature scared me into buying a portable jump starter. As someone who takes the X far from civilization while camping, it's cheap insurance to get me going again if it dies while I'm stranded, and it just might be a convenience if the battery decides to die in my driveway too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Video of the problem.

Thanks!
I have same problem. Has happened at least 3 times. Jumps off with jumper box ok. I’m told the battery is fully charged. So far, my mechanic has not found the problem. Frustrating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts