Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 mdx that has twice now not started and just had crazy dash lights and warnings flickering. The first time, about a week ago, I had run a quick errand on my lunch break and when I got back into my car (about 30 minutes) it had this episode. By the time the tow truck driver got there (20 or so minutes) it started right up. He said I must have a bad cell in my battery. I took it down the street to a shop and they said that the tested it on two different machines and even over tested it and the battery, connectors, etc all seemed perfect. Then today after driving 10 minutes to my daughters school and running in for about 10 minutes it did the same thing. I actually had to walk to my dr appointment from her school because of it. I called the tow truck again and had it towed to the dealership. This time it was still doing this when the tow truck driver got it to the dealership, but by the time the tech got to it it started right up. They said they tested the battery, alternator, connectors, grounding, etc and everything tested perfect and they have no idea what’s wrong with it, but they haven’t seen this before. I don’t know if this is significant, but both times this has happened my drivers door was open when initially trying to start. Please help!! I’ve attached a video bc I wanted to show the service department in case it was back to normal by the time the tow truck driver got there. I bought this car for its “reliability”, but now I’m scared to death it’s going to strand me every time I get in it and it’s only 3 years old!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This exact thing just happened to my 2016 MDX today. Drove my daughter to daycare, was inside for maybe 4 minutes, went to start the car and the same dash light flickering including a rapid clicking noise from the engine which resembled a dead battery (which shouldn't be the case, just had car serviced and no warning indicators). I jump started the car. Curious when the next episode will be....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was 1 and a 1/2 weeks later...still in the shop. They have had it repeat once, but by the time the tech got to it it was fine. Seriously about to sell it, cut my losses & move on. My ford lasted longer than this Acura!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you never changed your battery before it may be time especially if you bought your MDX in 2015. If you did replace your battery then you are dealing with what I am dealing with.

I have been dealing with this issue for about over a year now on my 2015 and it’s progressively getting worse. I am well out of warranty and I self maintain so getting favor from Acura is not possible. I can only hope they recall or offer an extended warranty otherwise I am too vested in the MDX to now sell it. Take it from me - this issue does not go away. It only gets worse. Before you spend any real bucks on maintenance items (timing belt / suspension) trade it in for something else or sell it.

Here is my theory and what I do to get it started again.

Frist, as you are all experiencing this is impossible to troubleshoot because when it happens you have to get it towed to a shop and then miraculously it starts so there’s nothing wrong. And the battery tests strong.

I know with 100% certainly that it’s not the battery. I had a year old battery when this started to happen. Since I bought it at Costco I returned the battery for a new one since it acted like it died.

With the new battery it happened again 3 weeks later. I did the same and got a new battery. It happened again a few weeks later and now it happens about every two weeks.

When this originally happened I pulled the code and the code didn’t make sense (air flow or something) I checked and cleaned out the Port (which didn’t need cleaning) no dice. Same ****.

I decided to try and jump it using the ground bolt. No dice.

I then tried direct to the negative terminal and it started right up. Hmmmm. If it was an air flow issue then I shouldn’t have been able to jump it.

The next time it happened I was on the road and had to get the help of another vehicle to jump it. I did the same direct to the negative terminal and it started right up.

Now At a loss, I brought it to my mechanic and he said 🤷🏻‍♂️ “It’s got to happen with him and for each stage of troubleshooting” which will never happen because it does eventually start. Sometimes 20 minutes later sometimes the next day.

He suggested I go out and buy a portable car jumper and keep it charged in my car a all time. I already did that.

Being that this is my wife’s vehicle and she is by no means interested in anything under the hood - here I am training her and now all the kids on how to jump the car with the portable battery Incase it happens when I am not around. Of course it happened when I am not around and of course my wife couldn’t remember what to do. Glad I trained the kids because my 10 yr old Daughter remember and was able to jump it.

I called my mechanic back and said dude how do I fix this. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Again. He reminded me that he told me not to buy the MDX.

He believes is some module (computer) that went into deep sleep and when I jump it I am surging the modules and it wakes.

He suggested the next time this happens to disconnect both batttery leads off the battery and connect then together to close the loop and keep it that way for 15-30min That will spend any parasitic energy that the modules may be throwing off.

It happened again and I did what he suggested and when I went to start it - it was a no start. Then the 2nd time i tried to start it it started right up and the problem hasn’t occurred again since. Going on about 4 weeks but now that I wrote this I am sure it will not start up in the next few cycles.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that this car has this problem and we have to worry about a car not starting when it’s really needed to.

Now I have to remember to keep a portable charger fully charged at all time.

I loved this car. Now I am hating on it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had something similar happen on my 2014. I put new batteries in my remote (the exact ones needed, not ones that just look the same size (like CR 2032 or 2030 or whatever because they're cheaper) - I used the exact battery mentioned in the owner's manual) and no more problem. Just a suggestion - sometimes it's the smallest things).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
rcy
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing