Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2016 MDX Tech. This is my 5th MDX. The brakes engage very low, and do not grab until the bottom. Dealer says this is normal, but this is dramatically different than my previous cars. Anyone with the same problem, or any solutions?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Just picked up my 2016 MDX Tech. This is my 5th MDX. The brakes engage very low, and do not grab until the bottom. Dealer says this is normal, but this is dramatically different than my previous cars. Anyone with the same problem, or any solutions?
I don't think I have heard any complaints about the brakes. Who at the dealer says its normal? Test drive another car. Have you checked the brake fluid?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Brake pad break in has nothing to do with brake travel.. In any case new pads should make the pedal engages faster.

To OP
I think you might have air in the system.. How much travel you have to use for the brakes to feel normal? 1/2? 3/4ths?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't think Acura has ever been known for their "outstanding" brakes. I think we all just learn to adjust and lower our expectations. My daughter's Mazda 3 5dr hatch brakes engage faster with less pedal travel compared to all three of my Acuras. I upgraded the pads/rotors on my 11 MDX and it helped a little in normal driving (zero warped feeling when braking after +45K). I really feel the difference with the upgrade with increased bite and a lot less fade in emergency braking, braking when hauling a heavy load and/or towing, and mountain switchback driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I have heard any complaints about the brakes. Who at the dealer says its normal? Test drive another car. Have you checked the brake fluid?
Service manager says its normal. He drove another car to compare, I didnt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service manager says its normal. He drove another car to compare, I didnt.
Service dept checked out all the brake components.
Acura customer service spoke with the dealership, and it is their position, it is within exceptable limits.

Meanwhile the brakes are very hard to modulate in stop and go traffic, because they are not progressive, and come on at the bottom of travel.
I just stepped out of owning a 2014 MDX, and was happywith that car.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
2014 brakes shouldn't be any different from the 2016. My 2016 doesn't engage low in the travel, so I'd agree there is either air in the lines or there is some issue with the brake booster. You could always pose as a buyer and test drive another 2016 if need be. And there's always the option of going to yet another dealer. ACR is useless and just relies on the word of THAT dealer. Another dealer might be more willing to help.

I REALLY want a big brake kit for the MDX. I so wish Acura kept the 4 pot Brembos that they had on the prototype in 2013.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Service dept checked out all the brake components.
Acura customer service spoke with the dealership, and it is their position, it is within exceptable limits.

Meanwhile the brakes are very hard to modulate in stop and go traffic, because they are not progressive, and come on at the bottom of travel.
I just stepped out of owning a 2014 MDX, and was happywith that car.
If you had a 14 and they're different, there is definitely a problem (prolly would have been good to include in OP, actually).

·
Registered
391 Posts
yea...excessive brake travel (when you press all the way to the floor) on new brake pads or squishiness, usually indicates air in the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I'm a 09 TL owner of over seven years. I was looking to upgrade to an SUV.

Last week I test drove a 2016 MDX Technology with just over 21,000 miles on it. I test drove the MDX during on a 50 mph road with stop and go traffic during busy rush hour. What the OP described, i.e. the brakes not grabbing until near the bottom was exactly what I experienced on my test drive. I couldn't accurately stop the MDX even once. A light tap of the brakes did practically nothing, while pressing down the brakes all the way stopped the vehicle almost immediately. I couldn't find any happy medium between those 2 options.

I owned a 04 Volvo XC90, so I have some experience braking a large SUV. But the MDX was a nightmare to brake. It's a shame because I really wanted to buy it. Instead I couldn't wait to get out of the MDX. The MDX is a big vehicle and needs better brake control, in my opinion.

I ended up purchasing a 2015 Lexus RX350. I hate leaving Acura, but the TLX is too small. Used RLX's are rare, RDX is too small, and apparently the MDX doesn't have the most precise brakes. Brakes on the RX350 were better than my TL and the RX350 drove and handled like a TL. MDX seemed to accelerate fine, but I was too frightened to drive the thing. I'm kind of bummed I had that reaction. But I looked on another forum and there are were some 2014 MDX owner's complaining about the brakes too with the same description as OP.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ The brakes on the 3rd gen MDX are fine - they work very well in fact.

You drove a used MDX where that particular one you drove may have had a brake problem but it's nothing endemic in the MDX. It's very easy to cause those same symptoms in the brakes of any vehicle including a Lexus - just improperly bleed the brakes. That's all it takes to cause a low/soft pedal. It's also a simple fix - just properly bleed the brakes - something any mechanic s/b able to do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mechanical problems aside, either the system needs a good bleed or the pads were swapped withe some (likely cheap) aftermarket pads.

As soon as you foot touches the brake pedal, you should at least feel some response from the system. If you get through 40% of pedal travel with zero response, something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Never had a problem with the 14. No problems with the hybrid.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just opposite to my experience: my brakes are too sensitive for my taste, although at 22k they are better than when new. The demo I drove was the same. This was just a problem of one, or possibly a few, vehicles, and easy to correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts