Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
About 36,000 miles.

No problems after the transmission software update.

It does shift a bit abruptly when it's not up to operating temperature though. But then is quite smooth.

It seems that guys are having noise problems with the transmission coolers installed. I don't have one in mine.

That's it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Will let you know. I'm having a chirp/whistle around 20-25 mph range on the 2-3 shift. Dealer thinks it's the intake vacuum rather than the tranny but i don't buy it because my way of replicating it matches so well with some 2016+ pilots with the issue. But no milky coolant so far so that's a good sign. Like nhmort, it drives great at temp. It usually only takes me a minute to reach smooth operation. I like it but will let you know more when i get more info on my tranny (it has more to do with the tranny warmer which is a separate components from the actually tranny but is necessary for operation).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Will let you know. I'm having a chirp/whistle around 20-25 mph range on the 2-3 shift. Dealer thinks it's the intake vacuum rather than the tranny but i don't buy it because my way of replicating it matches so well with some 2016+ pilots with the issue. But no milky coolant so far so that's a good sign. Like nhmort, it drives great at temp. It usually only takes me a minute to reach smooth operation. I like it but will let you know more when i get more info on my tranny (it has more to do with the tranny warmer which is a separate components from the actually tranny but is necessary for operation).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I think it is a vacuum chirp coming from the air filter box. The air filter box is some kind of funky design with two intakes. Probably for noise suppression. The noise comes right from the air filter box area. Try replicating the noise with the air filter removed. I bet it is either much louder or disappears if you remove the filter.

There is no way that noise is coming from the tranny because the clutch packs are covered in oil and either are slipping or are locked.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I'm trying to visualize how you would determine that the noise is coming from the air filter box, when it only happens at about 25 mph. Please post video. :grin:
Noise comes from the left wheel well which is the location of the air filter box. To get the chirp you have to be off throttle creating a vacuum. No way no how it is the transmission. I know noises and I know transmissions.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
33,000 km on mine. I love this transmission. Would buy it again and may buy a 2018 with a 9 speed. Hey, it comes with a warranty. Relax.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There is no way that noise is coming from the tranny because the clutch packs are covered in oil and either are slipping or are locked.
This is an assumption, not a fact.

It is a fact is that my 9-speed Pilot transmission was making a "chirp" sound that was rectified by replacing the transmission, and there is now a recall of some 3rd-gen Honda Pilots because of this issue. The chirp is a symptom, but the pathology goes deeper. Whether Honda has isolated all of the associated transmission "ATF warmers" that are potentially defective is subject to debate. Exactly the same unit is used in 2016+ MDXs with the 9-speed trans. Sadly, it seems that relatively minor levels of contamination are enough to upset this princess transmission.

Whether this is the issue with your MDXs is unknown, but the assertion that a chirping sound can't possibly be coming from the transmission is demonstrably false.

Sadly, an audio recording of the transmission "chirp" is no longer available. But in mine, it was subtle but reproducible. And always about the same pitch, interestingly enough. With a quality I would associate with a poorly played clarinet.

Is anyone aware of a TSB about vacuum chirps/squeaks/honks/grunts? Some of my aging vehicles start to sound like a middle school orchestra. :wink:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This is an assumption, not a fact.

It is a fact is that my 9-speed Pilot transmission was making a "chirp" sound that was rectified by replacing the transmission, and there is now a recall of some 3rd-gen Honda Pilots because of this issue. The chirp is a symptom, but the pathology goes deeper. Whether Honda has isolated all of the associated transmission "ATF warmers" that are potentially defective is subject to debate. Exactly the same unit is used in 2016+ MDXs with the 9-speed trans. Sadly, it seems that relatively minor levels of contamination are enough to upset this princess transmission.

Whether this is the issue with your MDXs is unknown, but the assertion that a chirping sound can't possibly be coming from the transmission is demonstrably false.

Sadly, an audio recording of the transmission "chirp" is no longer available. But in mine, it was subtle but reproducible. And always about the same pitch, interestingly enough. With a quality I would associate with a poorly played clarinet.

Is anyone aware of a TSB about vacuum chirps/squeaks/honks/grunts? Some of my aging vehicles start to sound like a middle school orchestra. :wink:
I don't have any transmission fluid contamination in my radiator so my tranny warmer is fine. The association of the chirp and the bad transmission could be incorrect. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts