Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2016 MDX transmission/throttle issue?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  regular.bodoh 
#1 ·
My 2016 MDX has 69k miles and on cold start-up and engaging D, the shifting is very sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear. I read that the 2016 model year may have had some throttle issues in low gears due to the change to the push button transmission controls vs. the "old fashion" stick gear shift. Not sure if any of that is true. When I bought the SUV 15 months ago and took it to the dealer they told me they did some kind of firmware update that would help the throttle issue and that they were aware of those issues. Would love to have any insights on this issue from those in the know...Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

#3 · (Edited)
Good day, apologies for the Necro posting. The 2016 MDX, compared to the 2014 and 2015 features a different transmission, a ZF 9 Speed transmission, compared to the older six-speed. The problem you're experiencing should go away after the car warms up. This is generally more pronounced in cold weather. While I don't know the cause of this, I am assuming it has to do with the special ATF fluid our cars use. Hard shifting during cold starts is normal, and rest assured will not be a symptom of transmission failure. However, if you do not like this occurring in your vehicle, I would suggest shifting your vehicle into drive and having your vehicle stopped to warm up for 5 minutes. (Use this time to play some music that your wife or children don't like!).

I hope this post puts you at ease, however, if you're still unsure it would not hurt to ask the dealer to see if there is a hardware issue.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, thanks.

Duncan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.