Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
With most ZF trannies, you heat it up to operating temp, crawl under the car and open the fill plug, stick a finger in to see if it's right at the bottom of the fill port. If not, add a bit until it is there and then close it up.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Pretty much like a Manual Transmission.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are actually three plugs: fill, drain, and adjustment (for want of a better word). They are all flush to the tranny exterior, with a socket for removal. The idea is to slightly overfill, run to warm to correct temperature, then shut off and open the adjustment plug on the side and let the excess flow out. Chrysler has a more flexible solution involving an aftermarket dipstick with numerical markings, a table of dipstick settings versus temperature, and uses the built-in temperature sensor that displays on the dash. It could probably be used with the MDX tranny, but no guarantee - Chrysler makes the 9-sp ZF in their own factories under license so it may be different and/or the fluid used could be different. And apparently the MDX does not have the tranny temp sensor so some way to measure temp is needed. (For a vehicle that can tow 5000lbs it seems a glaring omission.)

Yes, a crazy situation...

Greg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hard to believe that my 2007 BMW had an electronic dipstick that gave you oil levels when the car was running and the car did not have to be on level ground. An algorithm with sensors at each corner adjusted for the unevenness of the ground. All it is is math and engineering. 9 years later Acura is still in the horse and buggy era. WTF?????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hard to believe that my 2007 BMW had an electronic dipstick that gave you oil levels when the car was running and the car did not have to be on level ground. An algorithm with sensors at each corner adjusted for the unevenness of the ground. All it is is math and engineering. 9 years later Acura is still in the horse and buggy era. WTF?????
That's the oil level in the BMW, not transmission fluid level, as far as I know. There is no way to tell the transmission fluid level in our 2008 528 from iDrive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts