Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer found transmission leaks on first oil change to my 2016 MDX, saying it was a faulty end-cover sealing gasket. This is, however, not what I am asking about here. Dealer called me today saying that Acura hasn't sent dealers the proper tool to replace the gasket yet, so instead they will need to replace the whole transmission. Insane, right? To be honest, I don't know how to think about this. It will be at their cost and apparently it will be a new transmission. On the other hand, my MDX only has 4k miles on it and it runs great. There is potential risk with such repair, and I don't even know what kind of impact to the car's resell value (it will show up as a major repair on record). Should I push hard to not have the transmission replaced, or do you guys think this is not a big deal?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
IMO, not a big deal. If people are really curious, you can show them this post lol. It's really stupid how unprepared Honda has been for this ZF transmission. They didn't have the ATF in stock for quite some time too. They STILL don't have the new rear diff fluid, and now they're not even prepared to deal with a TSB they issued LAST YEAR!

Holy cow Honda...

Oh but I guess one thing that may be an issue is that people have complained about jerkiness from even some of the newer ZF9s, but I would have expected they were all updated to the latest and greatest. It would suck if you happened to receive a bad one, but owner reports of jerky ones don't seem to happen often after the revisions. I chalk some of them up to new owners who haven't adapted yet or the transmission hasn't learned their style yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would let them fix it, you dont want to be driving around with a leaking transmission. Since they cant fix it, they will not let you go driving it, unless you really dont want it fix, then maybe sign a disclaimer but no warranty if anything happens to transmission after that. I dont think its a big deal to have to fix and resale shouldnt really take a hit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What to check or how do you tell if the transmission leaks? fluid on the floor or under the hood? i'm just curious.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it - if they want to replace the whole tranny then fine. You're probably better off with them doing this anyway since now you don't have to worry about them somewhat tearing into the tranny to replace the seal or any damage that might have already happened internally due to the leak. A tranny is a fairly self-contained unit and it's often easier to replace the whole unit than trying to fix any part of it.

There's also the flip side blingman mentioned - if you don't allow them to fix it according to whatever way they have to fix it (replace the whole thing) and further damage occurred as a result, they'd have a leg to stand on when it comes to denying warranty coverage of the unmitigated damage.

I doubt that any potential buyer would even know the tranny was replaced. Most wouldn't know and most wouldn't care and none s/b concerned. I don't see this as impacting the value of the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts