Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to do the first rear diff fluid change on my 2016 MDX. I watched a bunch of videos on it and it looked reasonably easy. So I dropped the spare and prepared to do the job but for the life of me, I can't identify the drain plug. I am looking for something that looks like the fill plug which I have identified. A plug which will accept a 3/8" extension. One other thing, can someone confirm that the correct fluid is Acura All Wheel Drive Fluid(DPSF)? That is what the dealer parts guy recommended. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Drain plus is in the bottom, Fill plug on top. I have a 2016 Model too and already done twice. Only DPSF available at the moment and will take 2qts.
Good Luck,

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Drain plug is on drivers side of the diff closest to the drive shaft end. The fill plug is direct rear face about level with the hole in the center of the subframe (you can stick the hose of a fluid pump through there to the fill hole). Get 3 qts in case bc mine took 2.4 qts. Dpsf for now, as no dpsf ii is available in the states despite what our manuals say.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm ready to do the first rear diff fluid change on my 2016 MDX. I watched a bunch of videos on it and it looked reasonably easy. So I dropped the spare and prepared to do the job but for the life of me, I can't identify the drain plug. I am looking for something that looks like the fill plug which I have identified. A plug which will accept a 3/8" extension. One other thing, can someone confirm that the correct fluid is Acura All Wheel Drive Fluid(DPSF)? That is what the dealer parts guy recommended. Thanks in advance.
I've attached 2 photos for your reference.
Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Open gill plug first...if you can't get that open, don't open drain lug...

Reactions: NGK87

·
Registered
870 Posts
First two rear diff changes are at 15k and 30k miles, then every 30k miles thereafter, for "normal service" schedule. If you tow frequently, drive in extreme conditions of heat or cold, or drive frequently in the mountains, those are considered "severe conditions" and these maintenance intervals are halved to 7.5k, 15k, and every 15k miles thereafter.

This is based upon schedules published in old MDX service manuals. Maintenance minder ( MM ) tracks the intervals electronically in recent vehicles. But the core schedules don't seem to have changed much.

AFAIK the MM doesn't know about "severe conditions" for this item, it only adjusts for oil changes based upon conditions.

BTW, nice markup, Irobot2090.

It's worth mentioning that the SH-AWD "rear diff" is nothing like a conventional rear differential, so don't compare service schedule to an old truck. SH-AWD has clutches and they wear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow I'm shocked it requires so much maintenance. Thanks for answering my question. I tow a bit and I also drive like it's a race car. I'm surprised it will require more attention than my 2016 X5 xDrive35i.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Wow I'm shocked it requires so much maintenance. Thanks for answering my question. I tow a bit and I also drive like it's a race car. I'm surprised it will require more attention than my 2016 X5 xDrive35i.
You will be shocked once you have to do maintenance on your X5 as BMW makes sure almost all of their maintenance is so complicated that you can't DIY.. Is that the same X5 that doesn't even have an oil dipstick?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Most of the bmw services are advertised as lifetime (lifetime being the short 3 year lease) and then the dealers do an extensive service to change everything once you turn it back in. Drivers don't want to worry about such service on a lease. If you decided to buy one though and keep it longer than 4 years, you will see that some forum members add in their own intermediate services on said fluids to prevent issues from occurring. You have to wonder why second hand post lease vehicles are so problematic sometimes...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will be shocked once you have to do maintenance on your X5 as BMW makes sure almost all of their maintenance is so complicated that you can't DIY.. Is that the same X5 that doesn't even have an oil dipstick?
Nailed it, it's a lease. So for 36 months I don't spend I dime except insurance, lease payment and tires. $700/mo on an almost $80k car. It's a sweet deal. Then I write off because I have a small business. But I still wont be shocked, my wife has a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with just as complex of a 4x4 system and it doesn't require such maintanance either. I just found that really interesting, usually the Japanese (Honda) are very reliable and low maintanance. That seems like a German vehicle to need so much. Anyways, sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your X5 rear differential/AWD system doesn't have the capability of the MDX unit. And BMW is notorious for claiming fluids are "lifetime". When in fact, that is a fallacy, and will lead to failure down the road.

This coming from the owner of a 2003 Z4.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nailed it, it's a lease. So for 36 months I don't spend I dime except insurance, lease payment and tires. $700/mo on an almost $80k car. It's a sweet deal. Then I write off because I have a small business. But I still wont be shocked, my wife has a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with just as complex of a 4x4 system and it doesn't require such maintanance either. I just found that really interesting, usually the Japanese (Honda) are very reliable and low maintanance. That seems like a German vehicle to need so much. Anyways, sorry for the thread hijack.

Thoughts and prayers to the 2nd and subsequent owner of said rides.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.