Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 model

Greetings - anyone had problem with rear AC blowing warm/hot air with front blowing cold air. both are set to same temp. Dealer thought they fixed it, but after driving for 5 minutes and testing it - still doing the same thing!

Also, when starting to move, below 5 mph, hearing small clicking sound when steering wheel is turned. Once again, dealer said replaced parts to fix problem but still hearing it.

Let me know if anyone experienced same issues, and if you know of solutions.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ,

I have a 2016 AWD+Tech, I have exactly the same issue with the AC blowing warm air in the rear and front is cold when the temp. set the same.
Last time I told the dealer and he was like it takes time to cool in the rear. I was kind of in as hurry and since being winter I did not bother much. Now looks like I am not the only one. Will go to dealer.

Thanks for posting the issue.

·
Registered
870 Posts
As I understand it, the Gen 3 MDX no longer has a separate A/C evaporator for the rear, but sends cool air from the front A/C system via a duct. This would mean that rear cooling is probably delayed compared to Gen 1 & 2 systems, since the ductwork has to cool down.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This is a known issue. Though this is the first I've heard of on a 2016. Unfortunately it involves removing the entire dashboard in order to replace the heater core.

·
Registered
837 Posts
2016 model

Greetings - anyone had problem with rear AC blowing warm/hot air with front blowing cold air. both are set to same temp. Dealer thought they fixed it, but after driving for 5 minutes and testing it - still doing the same thing!

Also, when starting to move, below 5 mph, hearing small clicking sound when steering wheel is turned. Once again, dealer said replaced parts to fix problem but still hearing it.

Let me know if anyone experienced same issues, and if you know of solutions.

thanks
My MDX blows slightly warmer air in the back as compared to the front.

The 3rd gen MDX uses the same evaporator for the front and back vents. 2nd gen MDX had two evaporator coils, one for the front and one for the back.

Since the rear air is coming from the front evaporator, I believe the ducting is picking up heat from the floor boards, heating the cool air as it travels to the back.

Here is how the system works:

One HVAC system covers three zones on 2014 Acura MDX - SAE International

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. With no AC on my rear is blowing hot air, when on i have to turn it very cold (LO/16). Winter was fine - now warmer months it is unbearable for the kids.

Dealer was absolutely no help - they cranked it so the cold was blowing - it works! But what if we don't want the AC on? when off its blowing hot air..aarrgh

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a known issue. Though this is the first I've heard of on a 2016. Unfortunately it involves removing the entire dashboard in order to replace the heater core.
I had this issue on my 2014 recently. In your opinion will it go back together righti, i.e. rattles or creaks, etc. Dealer said it will take about a week to complete. I am nervous they will damage the seats dash etc. anything I should look at specifically before I take it back. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
SuperTech has not returned in a while. Just check everything for damage before you leave. Hope you took condition photos before to prove you didn't have an existing condition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2016 Model too, and just noticed after they replaced the AC Compressor due to the noise. Got the car back and AC was very cold for 1 or 2 days and temp was set around 65-68 and was very cold. But now even i set it to LOW and crank it all the way up but only blow cool air. Not really COLD. I can tell it's not COLD like before.

Can anyone show me where to locate the AC Compressor? maybe it leak?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I have a 2016 Model too, and just noticed after they replaced the AC Compressor due to the noise. Got the car back and AC was very cold for 1 or 2 days and temp was set around 65-68 and was very cold. But now even i set it to LOW and crank it all the way up but only blow cool air. Not really COLD. I can tell it's not COLD like before.

Can anyone show me where to locate the AC Compressor? maybe it leak?
The compressor is driven by the belt of the engine and has hoses coming off of it, but I don't think there's anything for you to do with it personally. Since the dealer did the work of replacing it and there's now a related problem simply take it back and have them check on it and fix any problems there might be - most likely related to the work they did.

I agree that the 'not as cool' air is likely caused by a leak - likely caused by the dealer not doing an adequate job when they replaced the compressor. Take it back so they can fix it correctly - on their dime.

·
Registered
695 Posts
As I understand it, the Gen 3 MDX no longer has a separate A/C evaporator for the rear, but sends cool air from the front A/C system via a duct. This would mean that rear cooling is probably delayed compared to Gen 1 & 2 systems, since the ductwork has to cool down.
Definitely a cost cutting measure..not good...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Checked mine:

Yup the rear is warmer than the front... my remedy was to set the rear air to 4-5 degrees cooler than the front and now they all match tactile temp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Won't get the car back for at least another 10 days....will let you all know how successful the repair is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just noticed this about 2 weeks ago, the rear vents when completely off, were blowing VERY WARM air, almost 85-90 degrees, while the front AC was on. I have a 2014. Made an appointment to bring it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update - dealer had my car for about 2 weeks and pulled the seats, console, steering column, and dash to replace the HVAC system. It was a blend door that was stuck. Issue has been ok, but has returned....really depressed with Acura...this is our second and last. The first was bullet proof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue of hot air blowing in the rear even when it was off and my 2016 MDX had 66K miles (out of warranty), but the dealer replaced the heater core at no charge as a warranty claim (I didn't even have to ask). If this happens to you take it to the dealer and argue that since it is a known design defect it should be covered, and that others are having it covered.

The "seal" that comes loose is actually a cheap foam gasket like the one you use to put around your window in the winter. It's not very sticky and so it comes off. Here are two pictures - one with the gasket where it's supposed to be and another with it loose. It's very poor engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have the exact same problem with my 2014 - since I bought it.
Never really brought up the issue until recently - (after hearing the 1 millionth complain from my wife). Thankfully, it will be covered under the extended warranty.
As the Acura supervisor explained, they will have to remove the entire dash to get into the AC blower ducts/fan. He is saying that probably the duct is closed, or something stuck, causing hot air to be blown.

To explain this better - When I turn on the AC and sync for the front and back, everything is fine. However, if the passenger at the back finds it's too cold and turn off the ventilation at the back, the rear unit then blows HOT air - even though it is OFF.
I am taking my X next Thursday for them to fix this issue. hopefully, it will be done right.

Good luck with yours and hopefully, it gets fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue where warm air blows from rear vents when off but I'm having a hard time understanding how replacing the heater core would have any affect on this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
20 Participants
sgkent
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing