Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we just purchased a 2016 MDX and have had it for like 3 weeks and everything has been great, till Friday afternoon. The wife was leaving work and went to start the car and it starting freaking out... clicking sounds ( like from a bad battery or starter) , flashing lights and all kinds of error messages. This went on for like 10 minutes so she quit trying and went inside. Came back out after another 10 minutes to show a mechanic what was going on and it started right up, then she took it up to the Honda dealership and they checked the battery and said it was fine that it may be a bad starter. She drove it all day on Saturday with no issues then again this morning it did the same thing again..... same identical scenario, tried staring and it freaked out, then after about 5 to 10 min it stared fine. So I was originally thinking a bad battery, but if it was why would it start at all if it was bad, why would waiting make a difference. I am going to call the dealership in the morning but im sure i will get the run around and the typical answer , we have now idea.

I posted a video of what it was doing on you tube, just highlight the link and select go to site, or paste into you tube search.
youtu.be/hogfnxig4V4
I have been searching the forums for a related issue but haven't found any yet, if someone has any idea what may be going on please let me know..thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
It’s still under warranty? Go to an Acura dealer. Sounds like it could be a bad starter.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If it's under warranty have the dealer fix it but prepared to not accept the 'we can't find a problem' response since clearly the problem has occurred multiple times and isn't likely to just go away.

I doubt it's the starter. The non-starting, lights flashing, relays clicking, etc. all point to inadequate voltage for the system which points to the battery system. I said 'system' because it could be the battery or a battery cable (pos or neg or some improper other ground) or anything else in the pathway although it's usually the battery. While it's likely not the starter, it's always possible that it 'is' the starter if it has some bad spots on it such that it's drawing too much current at some positions, but I've never actually seen a starter fail that way.

A battery could possibly fail intermittently and can fail prematurely. If you take it to the dealer and they can't figure anything else out try to talk them into replacing the battery (under warranty). They'll likely do it if you plead enough and possibly raise the issue to a higher level that the first string service advisor.

Any check of the battery needs to be done under load so if they didn't hook up a load to it then they didn't do a proper test but regardless, see if they'll replace the battery - and double check the cable connections at the same time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's the starter solenoid clicking back and forth. Either bad starter or not enough current going to it, which is a bad battery. Check battery cables, otherwise go to the dealer. You have a video, which is the best defense against "we can't find the problem".

I always take a video each time something is wrong with the car. My dealer actually likes it because it helps in diagnosing the sort of issues that aren't consistently repeatable.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree it sounds like a battery. My 2014 battery failed after 3 years. The MDX charging system by design does not keep the battery fully charged, and this shortens the life of the battery.

I keep mine connected to a battery maintainer when parked at home now.

Use a digital multimeter to check the battery when you are having problems. You can buy one for around ten bucks on Amazon, Walmart, auto parts stores. Very easy to use. If the voltage goes below 9.6 volts while starting, your battery is undercharged or defective. Always test at the battery, not with a monitor that plugs into the inside power socket because that is a switched circuit.

Short video here:

https://youtu.be/bCFX7z1id88

1 - 5 of 5 Posts