Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thinking of adding an aftermarket hitch to my MDX. When talking to the salesman, he mentioned that I cannot do this - yet i see so many people do.

Im in Canada and im looking at $1000+ for acura to install vs ~$170 for the Curt which i'll install myself. I also dont plan on ever towing anything. The only reason I want this is so I can add 3 bikes to the back with a bike rack.

Any other leasers in my situation? Looking for advice before I make a decision.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Your lease contract should go over what is allowed. You need to read the agreement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Limitation would be what is and is not allowed by the lease contract. Installing an aftermarket hitch is easy but if your lease contract won't allow it, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Put it on, take it off at the end, or not....but seriously, why would they care? I wouldn’t buy an MDX without a hitch/roof rack installed myself..both very usable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Put it in. I just turned in my 2016 not too long ago that had my Curt hitch and wiring harness on it (I leased a new 2018). I completely forgot when i turned it in that i still had my hitch/wiring harness in there. I called my salesman and asked him if i could stop by to remove it and he told me not to worry about it. He had one of the techs in the shop take the hitch/harness off for me. Two days later he calls me and told me to stop by to grab them.

Moral of the story, the dealer doesn't really care.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Agreed - I've always put a Curt hitch on my leased vehicles (Acura and others) and since they typically bolt on/off, it's an easy removal at lease end. The only possible issue would be if you need to modify the vehicle in some way to accept the hitch (like drilling extra holes in the frame, or modify a bumper panel) - but that's not the case on an MDX. And given the MDX is rated for 3500 towing w/o the tranny cooler, there aren't any warranty issues in that regard either.

Just do it.. ;-)
andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.