Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help/advice. We have a 2016 MDX FWD (45k miles). The vehicle has had a lot of problems, including a warranty replacement of the transmission, a recent fix for the ATF/Coolant problem, a defective starter (also replaced).

Most recently, we took it in because it repeatedly wouldn't start (defective starter). This took two visits, they diagnosed dead battery in August and replaced it. Problem continued and we took it in mid November. During this visit, they diagnosed the ATF/Coolant problem related to my new (replaced) transmission. It took about a week to get the parts to fix this problem. The factory left off an 'oil ring,' which took another week to get. After that fix was completed, they game me the truck back. As I got in at the dealership, the "Emission System Problem" warning was in the display. The tech came out and said the computer claimed it was running lean (too much air?). The error cleared, I took the truck to drive, but the error returned a coupe days later. I returned the truck to the shop. They called me to say they found ~1/2 a cup of water in the fuel tank and that I have to get the gas station to pay for repairs. I never use sketchy gas stations.

I know there is a recall for the 2016 for fuel tanks with insufficient welds (16V417000). Unsure what to make of all this, but feeling as though we probably got a lemon. Anyone have any thoughts regarding how that water could have gotten in the tank apart from being pumped in from solid quality fuel stations?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe water leak in while raining? check to see if the gas cap is secure or see if there is water leak in there? i can't think of anything else why water mixed in the fuel.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I'd question how they concluded there was a 1/2 cup of water in the tank - i.e. I wouldn't take them at face value on that unless they can describe how they determined it.

You sure have had lots of issues with yours. I've had no issues on my 2014 that's now 4.5 years old. You might want to at least figure out what the requirements are for the lemon law in your state so you can be armed with that knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Issues/Lemon Law

We have had a lot of issues. We bought this as an up-end/luxury SUV for my wife, but its turned in to something of a nightmare and now she just wants to trade it away.

When they called to tell me they found water in the tank, they said I needed to call the gas station where I gassed it up and get a form that would be submitted to the gas station company with a sample of what they took out of the tank and that the gas station company would then cover the repair cost. Seems more than a little fishy to me. When I talk with them this morning, my plan is to bring up the recall, to point out that in two years we haven't had this problem (though the truck sleeps in my garage, never outside), but between 11/18 and 12/5 they had the vehicle waiting on the transmission/ATF fluid parts and the starter replacement and during that time it sat outside in their lot. We had like a week of solid rain during that period. Moreover, there is a gas tank recall in place for ineffective welds. Now, I wasn't notified of the recall, so likely my VIN isn't part of the known problem, but the 2016 tanks have a known seal problem. Seems way more likely as a culprit than the notion that a very reputable gas station company is watering their gas.

Regarding the lemon law idea, I think we may qualify, but I have to spend some quality time with the detailed provisions this evening to be absolutely certain. I contacted the service director with this latest problem and ask for a sit down meeting with him so that my wife, he, and I can talk about "what we're going to do about this vehicle." Didn't suggest LL at this stage, but I used the language "series of problems that significantly affect the safety and drivability of the vehicle" and that "though they have all been covered by warranty up to now, we've had to bring the truck in to the shop for multiple visits related to the same problems" etc etc. He said he would review the service history on the vehicle and discuss with Acura Tech and try to figure out a way forward for us.

Trying to afford them the opportunity to do the right thing. Think we may have just drawn the short straw with this particular truck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I don't think even the sketchy gas stations deliberately "water their gas". But water can accumulate over time, probably from condensation out of humid air somewhere along the pathway between refinery and your car's gas tank. Ethanol will absorb water from the air, so ethanol containing fuel may be more susceptible to this. I suppose sloppy technique filling the station tanks during a monsoon could also be a source of water entry. It's certainly true that well-maintained high-throughput gas stations are a less likely source of bad fuel than remote stations with grass growing out of the pavement cracks in front of the pumps. But contaminated gasoline can, and does, happen. It's good practice not to fill your tank while the truck is filling the station tanks, because that can stir up whatever is lurking in the bottom of the tanks.

Have you smelled gasoline vapors in the vehicle between gas fills, as might be expected if there is a leak in the fuel system?

Why not just file a claim with the gas station, as suggested, and take it from there? Sucks about the other issues you have had with the vehicle. I hope it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.