Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few days I get some warning that my power steering is not working, or my lane departure is not working or my blind spot is not working.

Solutions is to turn the car on an off. Everything works still but these warnings and having to reboot the car is annoying. My dealer says there are no software updates so suck it up.

WTF???????????

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did the car sit on the lot a couple months? If so the battery might not be delivering good voltage causing gremlins.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the car sit on the lot a couple months? If so the battery might not be delivering good voltage causing gremlins.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
No it did not sit on the lot. While driving on the highway I had all the warning lights go on. The computer said all systems had failed. My dashboard was lit up like Tokyo at night. This happened last month. Got around to taking the car in today. The dealer scanned the computer. It said the cause of the failure notice was due to low voltage. I remember my 2011 doing this when the battery needed replacing. The dealer tested the battery. It passed with flying colors.

Loose cable or faulty board????

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Unfortunately one particular system fault can cause a cascade of warning lights. All of which when you get the codes for out of the computer, will all point to the culprit. For example, let's say you have an O2 sensor fault. That of course triggers a failure code in the PCM. The SH-AWD modules sees a failure code in the PCM, and it triggers a code for "powertrain failure" which is something we've seen in the past generation MDX. And the first gen triggered a code in the VTM-4 module if it saw something was wrong in the PCM.

So now in our new MDX, the VSA module along with all the others also gets in the mix. It sees a fault in the PCM and triggers a code that pretty much says there's an abnormality in the system. The EPS module sees that and responds with a VSA control module fault code. The LDW/LKAS also see the fault on the network and say "hey...there's something wrong over there" along with one or two other modules.

It makes "clearing the code real quick" not so quick anymore as we usually have to access at least half a dozen control modules to get all the lights to turn off. A decent tech should know to just do what's called an all DTC check immediately and see just which is the module all the other ones are pointing to in a situation like this.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately one particular system fault can cause a cascade of warning lights. All of which when you get the codes for out of the computer, will all point to the culprit. For example, let's say you have an O2 sensor fault. That of course triggers a failure code in the PCM. The SH-AWD modules sees a failure code in the PCM, and it triggers a code for "powertrain failure" which is something we've seen in the past generation MDX. And the first gen triggered a code in the VTM-4 module if it saw something was wrong in the PCM.

So now in our new MDX, the VSA module along with all the others also gets in the mix. It sees a fault in the PCM and triggers a code that pretty much says there's an abnormality in the system. The EPS module sees that and responds with a VSA control module fault code. The LDW/LKAS also see the fault on the network and say "hey...there's something wrong over there" along with one or two other modules.

It makes "clearing the code real quick" not so quick anymore as we usually have to access at least half a dozen control modules to get all the lights to turn off. A decent tech should know to just do what's called an all DTC check immediately and see just which is the module all the other ones are pointing to in a situation like this.
It looks like the fault code that caused the cascade was:

"B14C0 Lost communication with AT/CVT system detected by Gauge Control Module."

I also got the TLX transmission update. The transmission seems to downshift faster under power but then again I could be hallucinating or imagining things without proper testing equipment.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I also got the TLX transmission update. The transmission seems to downshift faster under power but then again I could be hallucinating or imagining things without proper testing equipment.

I may be confused, but are you saying that you got a TLX transmission update applied to your MDX? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I may be confused, but are you saying that you got a TLX transmission update applied to your MDX? Is that even possible?
Sounds pretty interesting - they are the same unit, makes sense the software might translate. Would be pretty cool if it does.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Do you happen to know which TSB were applied? There were... 2 or 3 TLX ZF9 TSBs, including one that needed to be revised to V2.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Work order says:

"Software Update TLX-M S/B 15-034-38756 WA"
Ah ok. That TSB actually applies to MDX Elites as well, because it's an issue with the start/stop system along with the 9ZF that causes you to shift into neutral while driving and you can't get out of it until you pull over and restart the car.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-034.PDF

There was also B15-038 and then subsequently B15-040 for the TLX 9ZF.

Both 034 and 038 update the PGM-FI software and do an idle relearn, so whatever update you got there is probably the latest MDX software for the PGM-FI and then the 9ZF gets to relearn your driving habits now. 040 was entirely different, and if you got that, then I would be surprised.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Ah ok. That TSB actually applies to MDX Elites as well, because it's an issue with the start/stop system along with the 9ZF that causes you to shift into neutral while driving and you can't get out of it until you pull over and restart the car.

Both 034 and 038 update the PGM-FI software and do an idle relearn, so whatever update you got there is probably the latest MDX software for the PGM-FI and then the 9ZF gets to relearn your driving habits now. 040 was entirely different, and if you got that, then I would be surprised.
I can't believe there is only a tsb for that. It should be a safety recall. I can't imagine going along at 70mph in Chicago traffic and suddenly you are coasting to a stop. That's a real safety issue. That's a crash waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I can't believe there is only a tsb for that. It should be a safety recall. I can't imagine going along at 70mph in Chicago traffic and suddenly you are coasting to a stop. That's a real safety issue. That's a crash waiting to happen.
Amen. I already made my case to the NHTSA and will let them handle it. Written correspondence is there on the safecar.gov site, so if they chose not to force a recall and someone dies, litigants will surely appear. I've also ranted to ACR about their poor choice of dissemination for that fix. They gave me a canned response. I'm sure they don't mind being a defendant.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes, there is an "Idle Learn" uodate on the invoice but with the same TSB number.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I was doing about 75 km an hour and my transmission booted into neutral on single lane traffic. Coasted 600 feet before I could find a place to pull off. And it did this while driving aggressively. I am pretty sure I was accelerating or just finished accelerating. What if I was passing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts