Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a hitch for my 2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package but I am wondering whether I should go ahead and get the dealer installed one or an after market one. I was told that the after market ones aren't as flush with the car, but I didn't know if that was true. This is going to be for a bike rack. I would like something that is flush with the car and doesn't mess with the look too much. I don't really want anything hanging down from the bumper. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I debated the same thing and went with the OEM hitch which I had the selling dealer install as part of the deal, so I got a real good deal and free installation. I also will only use this for a bike rack, so I didn't have the wiring harness installed.

After looking at countless pictures, the OEM design is well integrated into the bumper and looks much cleaner. It was worth the extra to get it I think.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
wondering whether I should go ahead and get the dealer installed one or an after market one
You have a third option - buy an OEM hitch via a discount Acura parts seller (they advertise on this website) and install it yourself. You save money and still have an OEM hitch. There are threads on here outlining the DIY install.

There's also a thread on here with pics of an aftermarket hitch - one by 'Curt'.

You s/b able to find these threads by searching.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a hidden hitch like that on my 2009 X5, and I have three comments about that design.

1) It does hide all but the receiver part, which is nicer than having a huge bar underneath.

However, two gripes:
2) From the side angle, it sort of looks strange as if it's just floating there. More of a subjective thing there.

3) It significantly lowers the rear exit angle of your vehicle. I found myself scraping that against driveways, etc. The MDX is similarly low if not lower than the X5, and especially when the car is loaded down, it reduces rear exit angle clearance by almost 2 inches which is fairly significant since it is in the far back.

The OEM hitch is part of the original bumper and doesn't hang down below so it doesn't have that issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a hidden hitch like that on my 2009 X5, and I have three comments about that design.

1) It does hide all but the receiver part, which is nicer than having a huge bar underneath.

However, two gripes:
2) From the side angle, it sort of looks strange as if it's just floating there. More of a subjective thing there.

3) It significantly lowers the rear exit angle of your vehicle. I found myself scraping that against driveways, etc. The MDX is similarly low if not lower than the X5, and especially when the car is loaded down, it reduces rear exit angle clearance by almost 2 inches which is fairly significant since it is in the far back.

The OEM hitch is part of the original bumper and doesn't hang down below so it doesn't have that issue.
Wow, you must have one steep driveway. There is at least 11"-12" of clearance between the bottom part of the hitch and the ground.
I usually go with the OEM parts but for what I'll be using this hitch I couldn't justify spending 3 times the amount plus I'd have to remove the bumper. In fact I like it to be slightly lower, it makes loading/unloading bikes easier.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wow, you must have one steep driveway. There is at least 11"-12" of clearance between the bottom part of the hitch and the ground.
I usually go with the OEM parts but for what I'll be using this hitch I couldn't justify spending 3 times the amount plus I'd have to remove the bumper. In fact I like it to be slightly lower, it makes loading/unloading bikes easier.
My driveway isn't that steep. That was my experience at least. It wasn't just my driveway either, and it was especially bad when the car was loaded which happens a lot when you're trailing a bike rack (camping, full passengers, etc).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would recommend the OEM hitch. I ordered mine from Tim at oemacuraparts and installed it myself. Once you lower the spare it's a simple bolt-on design. I really like how it's integrated into the new lower rear trim. The finished look is very clean.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
A big issue the earlier 07-13 MDX had with certain aftermarket hitches was some didn't fit a full size spare. Not sure if that is still a problem for the +14 MDX+aftermarket hitches? The last couple of flats on my SUVs, I needed a spare tire. Goo, plugs, donut spare or a compressor would not have helped me when towing or loaded down to the max.

Nice to have a full size spare option if needed down the road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
OEM hitch - order it on amazon (or a seller here on the boards) and DIY install. It's 6 bolts and some simple harness plug and play.

it rides higher, looks cleaner with the trim and the wiring is a plus

If you're handy with a wrench, this is the best looking and performance is, well, as designed by Acura.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have experience with both the OEM and Aftermarket hitches (specifically Curt).

I installed the Curt hitch and it worked like a charm, it towed my 3 bikes without any problem.

The day came when I got a flat tire. I didn't have spare so I had to get towed. The next day I decided to purchase a full sized wheel and tire to use as my spare. I've confirmed that using a full tire and wheel as a spare is perfectly fine instead of a donut.

To my dismay, a full sized wheel and tire (19 inch tech wheel) will not fit under the car with the Curt Hitch!

I bent over and took a loss on the Curt Hitch and sold it for half the price I paid. I purchased the OEM hitch from the online website everyone here raves about and installed it myself (saved 350 or so from doing it on my own).

So now I have the OEM hitch with a full sized spare under the car.

FYI, a donut will fit under the car with the Curt Hitch... but when you replace your blown wheel with the donut... where are you going to put the blown full size wheel? You would have to stick it in the trunk in the meantime.

Just some information to take with you on your quest to hitch heaven.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have experience with both the OEM and Aftermarket hitches (specifically Curt).

I installed the Curt hitch and it worked like a charm, it towed my 3 bikes without any problem.

The day came when I got a flat tire. I didn't have spare so I had to get towed. The next day I decided to purchase a full sized wheel and tire to use as my spare. I've confirmed that using a full tire and wheel as a spare is perfectly fine instead of a donut.

To my dismay, a full sized wheel and tire (19 inch tech wheel) will not fit under the car with the Curt Hitch!

I bent over and took a loss on the Curt Hitch and sold it for half the price I paid. I purchased the OEM hitch from the online website everyone here raves about and installed it myself (saved 350 or so from doing it on my own).

So now I have the OEM hitch with a full sized spare under the car.

FYI, a donut will fit under the car with the Curt Hitch... but when you replace your blown wheel with the donut... where are you going to put the blown full size wheel? You would have to stick it in the trunk in the meantime.

Just some information to take with you on your quest to hitch heaven.

Same experience here. I'm not sure if I posted this but I couldn't fit a full size wheel/tire under the car with a Curt Hitch. Not only does it suck changing a tire unexpectedly it's worse when I have to unload all the stuff in the trunk and hope that I can fit the damaged tire/wheel into the car with all of the stuff I originally had in there. Of course a flat always happens when you're on a road trip with a full load, luckily, I didn't have to do this the side of an interstate.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a hitch for my 2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package but I am wondering whether I should go ahead and get the dealer installed one or an after market one. I was told that the after market ones aren't as flush with the car, but I didn't know if that was true. This is going to be for a bike rack. I would like something that is flush with the car and doesn't mess with the look too much. I don't really want anything hanging down from the bumper. What do you guys recommend?
Go OEM. It sits higher for better clearance. The aftermarket sits below the bumper trim.

Also, the OEM is comparable in price to an aftermarket if you don't want the ball, the ball tray, the hitch rubber cap and wire harness. The OEM comes with these items whereas the aftermarket doesn't.

I have owned both. OEM is better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Go OEM. It sits higher for better clearance. The aftermarket sits below the bumper trim.

Also, the OEM is comparable in price to an aftermarket if you don't want the ball, the ball tray, the hitch rubber cap and wire harness. The OEM comes with these items whereas the aftermarket doesn't.

I have owned both. OEM is better.
Can you please post a link. The lowest I found was $373.00 including shipping and tax.

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I ordered my hitch, it did not come with wiring harness. That is a separate item if you plan on towing a trailer. Your price is not bad. Hitch is around $300, shipping is probably a good charge since its heavy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Acura OE Hitch is the way to go

I had the Acura OE hitch installed as an option when I picked up my '16MDX. It fully integrates into the design of the car, and does not look like an afterthought as most aftermarket hitches do. It comes fully wired as well for a trailer/lights.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, it comes with the trim. That's why it looks better than the after though one. Its all individual taste and budget. Its ez to install self.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts