Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leased 2016 MDX Advance since Aug 2015. And I have this issue happen for the 5th or 6th time yesterday. The first time, they said the battery was bad and they replaced it, next couple of times we were able to jump start (didn't bother going to the dealer), the next time it was towed to the dealer and they said the Acura Link passive drain was more than acceptable and then they replaced that module. And again yesterday it didn't start, it couldn't be jump started either and was towed to the dealership. Again they say its a bad battery and have replaced it. I am little skeptical this time, how can a battery go bad twice within a year. Anyone had a similar issue or any suggestions what to do if it happens again. I was going to buy it at the end of the lease, now decided not to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have you checked to see what kind of current the car is drawing when it's sitting there, no key? How about the alternator? I know that it seems highly unlikely for an alternator to go so early but you never know... Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have experience with any of those and don't have any tools to do it. I just wonder why the dealership is not able to diagnose it. They also said, they have opened a case with Acura and they also don't have any info on this issue, but said the case is still open just in case. Wondering if I this qualifies for a lemon in Minnesota. we have already missed work and kid missed school because of this. Chose Acura for reliability reasons :(.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't have experience with any of those and don't have any tools to do it. I just wonder why the dealership is not able to diagnose it. They also said, they have opened a case with Acura and they also don't have any info on this issue, but said the case is still open just in case. Wondering if I this qualifies for a lemon in Minnesota. we have already missed work and kid missed school because of this. Chose Acura for reliability reasons :(.
Something is obviously amiss, is there another dealer that could take a look? Loose battery cable, bad alternator, bad starter connection (wiring).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't checked with another dealer. This is the same dealer that I got the MDX from. All of these are still done under warranty. It's just annoying that it keeps happening and they blame the battery. Do you think the dealer would not even check those basic things you are saying? Everything else about the dealership seems good, they are nice, the facility is good and I got a loaner every time. It's just a waste of time for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG, I am going through the same thing right now. Literally waiting for the tow truck. Unfortunately here in California Acura dealerships are spread out so I just can't take it to another dealer. Mine is leased as well but I'm over mileage so who knows what they're going to stick me with. When I've presented other concerns I feel like they just blow it off. I was seriously considering buying the car at the end of lease but not now.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I hate to have to say it, but the abundance of electronic loads in the Advance model combined with the auto stop feature are a recipe for regular battery failure. My 2014 Tech keeps the battery constantly undercharged due to a badly implemented charging strategy designed to slightly increase MPG. When I park the MDX in my garage, I attach a battery maintainer to fully charge the battery overnight. It takes only 10 seconds to attach it to the battery, so it is only a minor inconvenience. I keep the hood open as a reminder to disconnect it before driving.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-U...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=noco+genius+g3500&psc=1

Until Acura addresses these issues, we just have to do what we have to do to make the vehicle usable. For anyone who has been stuck with a dead battery, it would probably be smart to carry a decent jumper pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Mine has been in the shop for two days for the same issue and they said the battery, alternator, connections and grounding are all testing okay and they don’t know what to do. It suddenly started up & acted fine for them about an hour after it was towed there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was at the stealership today trying to get my car fix, they had a brand new car with no plates and about 6 miles on it that could not start.. techs were baffled..

yup not even sold yet, brand new in the lot, can't start. Seems to be common. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.