Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think $600 for 5 yr rims protection on the 2016 MDX Advance is worthy ?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've never had 'rim protection' on any vehicle I've had and have never had a problem with my rims. What exactly is this rim protection and why do you think you need it? That's a lot of money for something that sounds unnecessary.

·
Registered
462 Posts
WHell & Tire Warranty?

When I bought my 2014 Advance MDX, the dealer wanted to sell me that and said it covered road damage for the tires also. I do what I have done on all five of my MDX cars and went to "Discount Tire" and paid about $150 for tire road hazard insurance for the 4 tires. This has helped me since I seem to get nails in my tires that need the inside patch and sometimes in the sidewall and need a complete new tire. The also balance and rotate the tires at no extra cost and usually can do it in les than 1/2 hour. Only once on one my older MDX cars did I back up into a curb and scratch the wheel. Not sure if the $600 plan would cover that type of scratch to the wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought my 2014 Advance MDX, the dealer wanted to sell me that and said it covered road damage for the tires also. I do what I have done on all five of my MDX cars and went to "Discount Tire" and paid about $150 for tire road hazard insurance for the 4 tires. This has helped me since I seem to get nails in my tires that need the inside patch and sometimes in the sidewall and need a complete new tire. The also balance and rotate the tires at no extra cost and usually can do it in les than 1/2 hour. Only once on one my older MDX cars did I back up into a curb and scratch the wheel. Not sure if the $600 plan would cover that type of scratch to the wheel.
Yes, the $600 plan covers scratch to the wheel and any damages.....

I've just bought the hazard ins from Discount Tire for the tires, it'll cover tire rotation and balance.

I had my 04 MDX and never had anything happened to the wheels that's why I'm not sure if it's worth to pay $600 for it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had my 04 MDX and never had anything happened to the wheels that's why I'm not sure if it's worth to pay $600 for it.
What prompted you to even consider this? Is it something the dealer is pushing?

Note - I don't buy -
- Extended warranties
- Tire road hazard insurance
- Wheel rim insurance
- Pre-purchased service packages
- Lo-jack and other add-on alarm systems
- Paint 'seals'
- etc.

I think all of the above lean very much in favor of the seller of the product and not the consumer. Some people will always have anecdotes about how getting one or the other coverage/plan worked out in their favor but by and large for most people it doesn't or else these companies would be out of business or at least wouldn't offer the product. No company knowingly offers a money-losing product.

Also keep in mind many of the items result in a significant commission for the salesperson hence why so many of them push it - usually with that (fake) sincere look in their eyes and the line "I don't usually recommend this but for this particular vehicle (or electronic item, or appliance, or ...) I do because...'. If a salesperson is pushing it you should automatically assume it's a poor value and decline it.

If nothing else consider that you don't really know how long you'll have your vehicle. It could be stolen, totaled, repossessed if you have a loan on it, you might want to get rid of it earlier than expected for a variety of reasons including simply because you like some newer vehicle better, etc. Pre-buying something for years down the road when you end up not really keeping the vehicle as long as you planned can result in anywhere from a 100% loss on your investment (ex: extended warranties) or at least a significant loss because of the coverage covering less time than you expected up front.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dealers sell all kinds of protection pkgs for rims, door dings, and other things. I never buy that stuff. But, if you curb rash wheels all the time, then that is great to have. Alloy wheel repair is around $160 per repair. Take about 4 repairs to be even.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long Commute

I do 95 miles round trip to work. Mostly highway, but some how managed to go through 3 tires in 6 months. I have the plan it more that paid for itself. For my past 3 cars it has paid for itself.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Mostly highway, but some how managed to go through 3 tires in 6 months. I have the plan it more that paid for itself. For my past 3 cars it has paid for itself.

Just sayin'
I mentioned there will always be some people with anecdotes of how some coverage plan worked in their favor but that's not the norm.

It's 'really' unusual to go through 3 tires in 6 months on a highway. This is especially true if the tires are getting destroyed with sidewall damage or something. 99% of the vehicles on the road won't go through even one tire in 6 months of highway driving unless they're driving on bald tires in which case the tire insurance doesn't cover it anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Or they are severely over-inflated. That is the only way I have seen highway's chew up tires.
Besides, the original poster was talking about rim insurance. I believe he already purchased some tire insurance.

I just saw he was in Chicago. He could just pay me to rotate his tires!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts