Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:

1. I am coming up on my A-1 Service (Currently at about 4500 miles).

2. From what I have read, the A-1 Service is basically (a) change the oil and filter; (b) rotate the tires.

3. The dealerships in my area seem to advertise the A-1 Service for $150.

I am thinking of doing myself (lots of past history working on VW and Volvo... and even doing a lot on my old BMW X5). I thought I would check to see if anyone has any "beware/caution" about doing the A-1 myself. At this moment in time, I cannot imagine paying $150+/- when I could buy full synth oil and a good filter for $40 and just have an hour of fun in the garage making a mess.

Can anyone think of a good reason to pay the $100 extra to have the dealership do this service? E.g. warranty difficulty, inability to reset the maintenance minder?

Thanks. :D

PS - Thus far, I have been very happy with the vehicle and plan to post some comprehensive fuel-mileage stats later this year.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No reason what so ever. Mark it in the maintenance book and keep the receipts. I bet any synthetic oil you buy will be of a better quality then what you'll get at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I usually purchase my oil from Walmart, balance/rotate my tires at Discount Tires, replace my own cabin/engine filters. I can get the A1 service down to $26 at my dealership + half-ass car wash. My dealership still does a multi-point check similar what you see on a "B" service every time. An "A1" and "B1" are almost the same price. It just takes more time on my part (weekend mostly) compared to a few hours and a lot of $$ with the dealership. Saves me $$ since I have 3 Acura vehicles and something is always due every other month.

I also email my service mgr of any extra or early service I performed someplace else so he can input into the computer before I come in for a service. I don't think that info hit or miss with other repair shops if it is not inputted in the Acura database.

It wouldn't hurt to have the Acura service dept look at the MDX 1-2 times on a "B" service before the 4/50,000 warranty expires.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Doesn't the AWD model require a rear differential oil change at this visit?

·
Registered
305 Posts
$150 for A1 is pretty high. My dealer usually charges $90 for A1 and down to $65 with promo special.

I would just DIY the oil change and have the tires rotated at discount or americas tire for free instead of paying $150.

Call other dealers to get lower prices.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Doesn't the AWD model require a rear differential oil change at this visit?
The "A1" service should only be an oil change, rotate tires, and check PSI. The transmission and awd transfer case would be "A13" and the rear sh-awd differential would be "A16". The "A13" includes the transmission along with the engine oil change; but, Acura includes the transfer case for the awd vehicles at the same time since it used the same type of oil as the transmission (no transfer case for fwd vehicles). You shouldn't see your first "3" or "6" service until around 30,000-60,000 miles depending on how you drive. Don't know if OP has fwd or sh-awd model?

A Replace Engine Oil
B Replace Engine Oil and Filter. Inspect various systems and components

1 Rotate Tires and check tire pressure and condition

2 Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt and replace dust and pollen filter

3 Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)

4 Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect value clearance

5 Replace Engine Coolant

6 Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

·
Registered
366 Posts
The "A1" service should only be an oil change, rotate tires, and check PSI. The transmission and awd transfer case would be "A13" and the rear sh-awd differential would be "A16". The "A13" includes the transmission along with the engine oil change; but, Acura includes the transfer case for the awd vehicles at the same time since it used the same type of oil as the transmission (no transfer case for fwd vehicles). You shouldn't see your first "3" or "6" service until around 30,000-60,000 miles depending on how you drive. Don't know if OP has fwd or sh-awd model?

A Replace Engine Oil
B Replace Engine Oil and Filter. Inspect various systems and components

1 Rotate Tires and check tire pressure and condition

2 Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt and replace dust and pollen filter

3 Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)

4 Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect value clearance

5 Replace Engine Coolant

6 Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)
Thanks, very informative, somehow I thought there was a special initial AWD service that was thrown in there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So my dealer advertises at $39.99 oil change, but claims "Full synthetic may be extra":
David McDavid Acura of Austin | New Acura dealership in Austin, TX 78750

What is the standard/recommended oil we should be putting in these. All my past German cars have used Castrol Edge European Super Synthetic which is quite expensive, but the oil changes only happen every 15K miles. Just wondering what the norm here is? I've got a hook up at a local shop where the guy will do the labor for $10 on his lift if I bring the parts. Discount will rotate my tires for free, so might go that route as there's nothing "special" about this first service.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Typical Honda specs: GENUINE ACURA 0W-20/API Premium-grade 0W-20. So basically go with your choice of synthetic 0W-20 or pay the marked up premium on ConocoPhillips motor oil or something (last I checked it was ConocoPhillips). 5.7 qts including filter, 5.4 qts without.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I called a few (Orange County CA area) and the lowest I found was at Tustin Acura (for $100) The nice lady on the phone at the service desk explained the "A" part was the oil change - $69.95. And that the "1" part was the tire rotation - 26.95. They are running a service special which would have saved me $10... so after tax, i would be a little shy of $100.

If I have to drive over, wait an hour and a half, and then pay $100 and then drive home... or just pick up 7 quarts of 0w-20 Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus synthetic and a good filter for $40 (and yes, a new crush washer)... drive nowhere, and do it myself in 60 minutes at home. Save time and money, and have the best oil out there!

There is a great you-tube oil change video on a 2016 MDX... but the guy didn't appear to replace the crush washer!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I called a few (Orange County CA area) and the lowest I found was at Tustin Acura (for $100) The nice lady on the phone at the service desk explained the "A" part was the oil change - $69.95. And that the "1" part was the tire rotation - 26.95. They are running a service special which would have saved me $10... so after tax, i would be a little shy of $100.

If I have to drive over, wait an hour and a half, and then pay $100 and then drive home... or just pick up 7 quarts of 0w-20 Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus synthetic and a good filter for $40 (and yes, a new crush washer)... drive nowhere, and do it myself in 60 minutes at home. Save time and money, and have the best oil out there!

There is a great you-tube oil change video on a 2016 MDX... but the guy didn't appear to replace the crush washer!
And America's Tire does free rotations. ;)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The oil change is very straightforward and easy - just make sure you do it safely with jackstands if you place your body under a raised vehicle. The oil filter location makes for some mess but it sounds as if you don't mind that.

Also note - I raised the front end of the vehicle a bit to make it possible for me to turn my long handled torque wrench to put the oil pan bolt back on. This was no big deal really since I was going to rotate the tires next anyway.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My local Honda dealer has an oil and filter special with 5 quarts of 0W-20 oil for 39.95. I have to check what they will charge for the additional quart (this is a dealership). If it's reasonable, I may just take it to them. Since the 2016 Pilot has the same engine, hopefully they will have special price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the first service of my 2016 MDX done at my local dealer today. They had some specials going on. The total cost of service (engine oil + filter change, tire rotation, fluid top-ups, multi-point inspection, and car wash) was $60. Got my car back in around 2 hours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, my A-1 service is all done. Taking my time, and addressing two unexpected issues, it still only took me 90 minutes and a total cost of $41. The lowest dealership cost near me was in the $90-100 range. I even saw ads for $150! Crazy.

I've inserted some pictures so you can see some of the action! As you can see, I went with a good quality synthetic 0W-20. Although I did remove the engine cover - it is not really necessary. I only partially raised the car - just to add a few inches of clearance - and yes, that is a hockey puck buffering between my service jack and the jack-point. Finally, don't forget to replace the crush washer - it should really only be used once.

As for "unexpected issues." First - wow did the oil ever drain horizontally at high pressure. Make sure your oil pan has the back-lip far from (the direction) the oil drains out... or you will be cleaning your garage floor in a rush. Second, removing the factory installed oil filter was a longer process than usual. It seemed to have been installed with far more torque than needed. Usually if you have good forearm strength, you should be able to remove using both hands.

Anyway, good fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a few more pictures.... don't forget to use "new" oil to lubricate the rubber washer on the new filter... (and in my opinion) wearing some nitrile goes to make clean up easy.... also, and you will need a torque wrench to properly do the tire rotation... my book said 80lbs for lugs...

And most importantly, I am no expert. I am not a certified mechanic, nor have I ever worked as a mechanic. I am just a guy that learned (by trial and error) to work on cars as a high school kid... and I still have fun doing it decades later. My result (a successful oil change) may not be typical - consult a certified mechanic, the dealership, your doctor, and your spouse before you engage in fiddling around with your vehicle. The use of a hockey puck is not generally advised for vehicle jacks. Use at your own peril.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took our 2015 MDX in for its first service. I had called ahead to ask how much and they said $38. Pretty impressed it was only $38. When I went to the cashier, they said that it would be $68.
I asked to talked to the service manager and he gave me a 10 minute discourse on why it is important to rotate your tires, which they charge $30 for. I asked him why, if it was so important, was it not part of the first service. It was also a service I didn't request and shamed him for tacking it on. He apologized and took it off the bill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$38 for an oil change could be a good deal - but do you know what type of oil the used? I am specifically wondering if they used synthetic. Also the type of filter. Those are the reasons I had $41 in parts. Good that you held on the tire rotation fluff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts