Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded a Toyota Highlander on a 2016 MDX with the transmission cooler. I notice small noises and slight pauses but probably because I read all these forums and this issue comes up a lot so I pay attention to it. I am happy with it so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
is the 2016mdx 9 speed transmission good or bad?
I think its terrible. I drop 400 ft from my garage to the street in a mile. Won"t allow me to coast. Have to tap the accelerator or pull on the paddle constantly to get it out of third gear, but it goes back to third again when I touch the brake. Rough shifting too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think its terrible. I drop 400 ft from my garage to the street in a mile. Won"t allow me to coast. Have to tap the accelerator or pull on the paddle constantly to get it out of third gear, but it goes back to third again when I touch the brake. Rough shifting too.
Like most modern automatics these days, the transmission is programmed to hold a gear on an incline to prevent the vehicle from gaining speed without the driver's input.

Ex. I have steep hill leaving my neighborhood too. I'll accelerate to 20 mph, vehicle holds 3rd gear so my speed never goes over 25 with my foot off the gas. I love it because that hill is in a school zone with a not-so-friendly motorcycle cop that likes to wait at the bottom.
My previous Audi Q7 did the same, so did my Subaru Outback with it's CVT, and so does my partner's CX-5.

The rough shifting can be addressed by the Acura dealer with a software update. If you don't want to go to the dealer, you can reset the ECU yourself and your Acura will relearn your driving behavior and adjust the shift points accordingly.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My 2016's transmission was replaced last month. @ approx 40k miles on the odo. Atf contamination from the warmer. If you open up the hood and look down at the tranny ID plate, if it's black it's the original tranny. If it's green, it's a reman tranny. Actually the date code on that plate would be the real tell tale sign. Personally I think I would feel better with a reman than an original 2016 zf9.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts