Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since new my 2016 MDX has a cluck noise when shifting from 4 th to 5 th. The dealer has done several updates and basically told me they don't know how to fix it and have to wait for Acura to figure it out. Has anyone experienced this issue?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Do you have the "towing" accessory ATF cooler installed? There are reports of this issue in Honda Pilots with the 9-speed trans and the accessory ATF cooler. AFAIK there is no resolution from Honda, aside from offering the option to remove the cooler ( and downgrade the towing capability ).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just wondering. Looking at the cooler installation directions, it looks like the cooler is running in parallel to the original warmer circuit. If this is true, you should be able to put a shut-off valve in one of the new lines and keep the fluid from circulating through the cooler. In effect, it would be like reverting to the original warmer-only design. If it cures the shift quality problem, you could simply open the valve when towing and leave it closed at other times.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have this issue on my 2017. Yes, I have the tranny cooler. Yes, they say there is no fix. No, I no longer view Acura as a "luxury" brand. Ruins an otherwise decent vehicle.

ZF is to blame here.. So never buy a Mercedes, BMW or any other ZF equipped german luxury brands then?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I no longer view Acura as a "luxury" brand
I don't see what 'luxury', however one defines that term, has to do with this. An incorrectly operating transmission in any vehicle would be annoying and unacceptable in my mind and is such a basic item on a vehicle, like an engine and wheels, that it 'should' work reasonably well. It doesn't matter whether it's in an Acura, Honda, Mercedes, Dodge, etc. - it needs to work acceptably.

I don't have the ZF (I have a 2014 with the 6 speed) so I have no experience with it. Hopefully any issues with it will be sorted out soon.

·
Registered
870 Posts
ZF is to blame here.. So never buy a Mercedes, BMW or any other ZF equipped german luxury brands then?
Everyone has a bad day now and then. But it's gonna take more than an asprin and a glass of OJ to get over this hangover. ZF made a "creative" engineering choice to meet packaging goals with the 9HP, and it had unintended consequences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, it's been two years and I've worked with Acura and they have done testing and everything the dealer has thought of. One customer service person from Acura Canada tech group even told me that is how the transmission works and it's not doing any damage. Basically, I was told to live with the noise. It has the tranny cooler and consistently clunks in 4 th to 5 th. It is unfortunate as I really liked the car but this treatment from Acura has me looking for a new non Acura vehicle and I will be loosing a significant amount of money. It's frustrating that you can buy a new vehicle and have no recourse when that vehicle does not perform the way it should.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't see what 'luxury', however one defines that term, has to do with this. An incorrectly operating transmission in any vehicle would be annoying and unacceptable in my mind and is such a basic item on a vehicle, like an engine and wheels, that it 'should' work reasonably well. It doesn't matter whether it's in an Acura, Honda, Mercedes, Dodge, etc. - it needs to work acceptably.

I don't have the ZF (I have a 2014 with the 6 speed) so I have no experience with it. Hopefully any issues with it will be sorted out soon.
I expected that a "luxury" brand would have better command of a smooth, quiet transmission more so than say a Kia or Ford. Not so.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

Yeah, if it functions like my Acura.
But you won't risk it right? Now that you know how cars with ZF transmissions work you cannot possibly imagine an scenario where you buy another ZF equipped car, Right?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Unfortunately, it's been two years and I've worked with Acura and they have done testing and everything the dealer has thought of. One customer service person from Acura Canada tech group even told me that is how the transmission works and it's not doing any damage. Basically, I was told to live with the noise. It has the tranny cooler and consistently clunks in 4 th to 5 th. It is unfortunate as I really liked the car but this treatment from Acura has me looking for a new non Acura vehicle and I will be loosing a significant amount of money. It's frustrating that you can buy a new vehicle and have no recourse when that vehicle does not perform the way it should.
Don't they have a lemon law in Canada? If it's not doing any damage,perhaps they should extend the warranty? If the trans failed,you would certainly have recourse.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Well since I do not own a 3rd gen I would not known if there is any more info available compared to you guys that own it :rolleyes: so might as well ask the interested party don´t you think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do anybody know why it clunks just by adding a trans Cooler? Makes little sense to me...
I'll share what my service manager said the Regional Acura Rep told him. The transmission cooler essentially "opens" what would otherwise be a closed system where the outside cooler hoses attach. The effect is that the sound of normal functioning of the transmission is now transmitted in the engine compartment much like a megaphone works. I am told they are sure that no damage is being done, but logic suggests that a clunk and normal function seem like awkward neighbors. Then there is the fact that you are reminded of a poor driving/ownership experience every time you accelerate from a stop.

If it were me, I would avoid this vehicle until it arrives with a different transmission. Here is an interesting note from my test drive. unlike my prior test drive experiences we were forced to wait while they prepared a unit for the drive. Then the dealer insisted that the salesperson drive for the first 5 or so miles then letting me get behind the wheel. Hindsight I feel pretty confident it was to ensure I did not drive the MDX with a cold ZF where it is noticeable more grabby and balky. I don't hate this car; it is otherwise nice. It is just not what I expected from an Acura. I liked the drive of my Ford Flex Ecoboost much MUCH better.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
So the problem is that is just normal sound that will be otherwise muffled inside the transmission casing now is being heard a lot because of the added transmission cooler?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Well since I do not own a 3rd gen I would not known if there is any more info available compared to you guys that own it :rolleyes: so might as well ask the interested party don´t you think?
I do blame Honda. Obviously they never properly tested the transmission. Esp. With the trans cooler. They are probably going to extend the warranty. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lemon law.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts