Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2016 Honda Pilot Elite to give Acura MDX a run for the money

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kaie 
#1 ·
It seems that the 2016 Honda Pilot Elite will be the vehicle most likely cross-shopped against the 2016 MDX, as opined by 2016 Honda Pilot Elite to give Acura MDX a run for the money. From this Honda PR, Beauty, Brawn and Brains: The 2016 Honda Pilot is the Triple Threat Poised to Top the Three-Row SUV Segment, here are the trim level details:

Model Trim Summary

Pilot LX Prominent Features
Direct-injected 3.5-liter SOHC i-VTEC engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Hill Start Assist
Intelligent Variable Torque Management™ (i-VTM4™) AWD System (available)
18-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Brake Assist
Multi-Angle Rearview Camera9 with guidelines
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)10 with Tire Fill Assist and Location and Pressure Indicators
Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure
LED Brake Lights
Remote Entry
Push Button Start
5-Inch Color LCD Screen
200-Watt Audio System with 7 Speakers, including Subwoofer
Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®11
Bluetooth® Streaming Audio11
MP3/Windows Media®12 Audio (WMA) Playback Capability
USB Audio Interface13 [Center Console w/High-Speed Charging (1 Port)]

Pilot EX Prominent Features - Changed or added from LX
Intelligent Traction Management, Normal/Snow (2WD), Normal/Mud/Sand/Snow (AWD)
Remote Engine Start
Multi-Angle Rearview Camera9 (HS) with dynamic guidelines
LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Honda Sensing™ (available)
Honda LaneWatch™14
Programmable Remote Entry
Smart Entry
Fog Lights
HomeLink® Remote System15
Driver's Seat with 10-Way Power Adjustment, including Power Lumbar Support
USB HondaLink/Audio Interface13 [Front w/Charging (1 Port) and Center Console w/High-Speed Charging (2 Ports)]
225-Watt Audio System with 7 Speakers, including Subwoofer
8-Inch Display Audio with High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Electrostatic Touch-Screen and Customizable Feature Settings
HondaLink® Next Generation16
SMS Text Message Function17
SiriusXM® Radio18
Pandora®19 Compatibility
Song By Voice® (SBV)

Pilot EX-L Prominent Features - Changed or added from EX
Acoustic Windshield Glass
One-Touch Power Moonroof with Tilt Feature
Power Tailgate
Rear Entertainment System with HDMI interface20 and 115V power outlet (RES) (available)
Automatic-Dimming Rearview Mirror
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
One-Touch 2nd-Row Seats
Front Passenger's Seat with 4-Way Power Adjustment
Leather-Trimmed Interior
Heated Front Seats
Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition21 and Honda HD Digital Traffic (available)

Pilot Touring Prominent Features - Changed or added from EX-L
9-Speed Automatic Transmission with Shift-By-Wire (SBW) with Paddle Shifters
20-inch Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Honda Sensing™
Acoustic Windshield and Front Door Glass
Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors. Heated (AWD) with Memory and Integrated LED Turn Indicators
Driver's Seat with 10-Way Power Adjustment, including Power Lumbar Support with Two-Position Memory
Idle-Stop
Roof Rails
Blu-Ray Rear Entertainment System
Blue Ambient LED Lighting
Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition21 and Honda HD Digital Traffic
540-Watt Premium Audio System with 10 Speakers, including Subwoofer
USB Ports [Additional 2nd-Row w/2.5-Amp Ports] (5 Ports Total)

Pilot Elite Prominent Features - Changed or added from Touring
Auto High-Beam Headlights
Blind Spot Information System (BSI) with Rear Cross Traffic Monitor22
Rain Sensing Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Panoramic Roof
LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off
Heated Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Front and 2nd-Row Illuminated Beverage Holders
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Heated 2nd-Row Captain's Chairs
HD Radio™23

EarthDreams™ Technology Powertrain
The 2016 Pilot delivers more refined, powerful and fuel-efficient performance than ever before courtesy of its new 3.5-liter, direct-injected i-VTEC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) cylinder deactivation technology. The engine's peak output of 280 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft. of torque is up 30 hp and 9 lb.-ft. over the previous model. The engine is matched to a choice of two new advanced transmissions – a Pilot-first 6-speed automatic transmission or, on upper trims, a Honda-first 9-speed automatic transmission – both delivering more refined, responsive and fuel-efficient performance.

Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4) AWD System
The Pilot's available new Intelligent VTM4 (i-VTM4) is the most sophisticated and technologically advanced all-wheel-drive system offered in a mainstream, three-row SUV. This entirely more capable system progressively distributes optimum torque between the front and rear axles and, for the first time ever in a Honda vehicle, dynamically distributes engine torque between the left and right rear wheels using the new, lightweight rear drive unit. Benefits include superior all-weather handling and neutral, accurate steering under power that is unmatched by front-drive, rear-drive or conventional all-wheel-drive systems.

Intelligent Traction Management
This new Pilot features a new button-operated Intelligent Traction Management System that offers different operating modes, for the AWD: Normal, Mud, Sand and Snow; and for the FWD: Normal and Snow. Reflecting Pilot's role as a key U.S. export model, this system was developed, tuned and tested at various locations in the U.S. and around the world – including Imperial Dunes “Glamis”, California; Moscow, Russia; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The Intelligent Traction Management system allows the driver to select the operating mode that best suits the driving conditions by simply pushing a button on the vehicle's center console. Based on the setting selected, the system adjusts the drive-by-wire map, transmission shift map, Vehicle Stability Assist™ and i-VTM4 torque distribution for AWD equipped models for optimal performance in varying road or surface conditions.

Display Audio and Navigation
Honda's latest thinking for advanced, family-friendly technology is embodied in the new Pilot. New features include the available 8-inch capacitive touchscreen Display Audio telematics interface with Android operating system and all-new Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ developed in cooperation with the experts at Garmin®24.

Exterior Colors
All 2016 Pilot trims are available in eight exterior colors including three metallic and five pearl colors. All colors have a strong character, offering expressive contrasts that complement the Pilot's body-panel curves and angles, while also exhibiting a smart luxury appearance. The colors are:

Modern Steel Metallic*
White Diamond Pearl
Lunar Silver Metallic*
Crystal Black Pearl
Steel Sapphire Metallic*
Obsidian Blue Pearl
Black Forest Pearl*
Dark Cherry Pearl

* denotes new colors for the 2016 Honda Pilot.

The exterior colors are keyed to the 2016 Pilot's three new available interior colors: Black, Gray, Beige.

It does seem like the 2016 Honda Pilot Elite is quite the bang for the buck, compared to the 2016 Acura MDX. I can't wait to test drive both, back to back.

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought the 3rd gen MDX was too minivan like...this new Pilot is an unattractive vehicle, IMHO.

#4 ·
I think Honda could of sold a lot more minivans if they had awd version. Maybe the 3rd row seat storage and gas tank location made it hard to install the awd parts?

I wish Acura would give us more engine/power choices across the entire brand. Add a diesel, hybrid, high output, supercharger or sport hybrid sh-awd as an option for TLX and MDX. I just don't like having the same engine as the accord/Odyssey/pilot with only 10-15 extra hp. I could use 25hp-50hp every day; but, I've never had a need for lane departure warning.

#9 ·
I agree the new Pilot is hideous.

The Odyssey is a pretty sharp looking minivan with some great features. The lack of AWD immediately ruled it out for me. Also it's interior is fairly cheap looking in comparison to Toyota's Sienna.

I'm not too sold on the 2016 MDX interior, but I still bought one....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.