Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2016 Highlander Ltd vs MDX Navi

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mdxstang 
#1 ·
Posted this on the Toyota forum as well.

In a big dilemma over this. The pricing difference between 2016 Ltd Highlander and 2016 MDX Navi is about $4000 in Canada for all cash purchase.
Here are the pros and cons
Highlander
1. Reliability
2. Captain seats
3. Panoramic Roof
4. Price Advantage
5. Regular Gas
6. Rear Parking Sensors.
7. Cheaper Service/Overall cost to own.
8. Comfortable front and rear seats.
9. Tri zone climate control with real vents in Third rows.
10. Heated second row seats.

Cons
1. Only Basic Safety Tech like blind Spot. No adaptive cruise, FCW, CBMS etc.
2. Not exciting to drive.
3. No HID/LED Lights.

MDX
Pros
1. More engaging to drive. This is the biggest plus.
2. Lots of safety tech, including Adaptive Cruise. This is another big plus.
3. LED Lights.
4. Different drive modes. The MDX in comfort mode has steering just like Regular Highlander.
5. More upscale fit/finish and materials.
6. Better warranty-4 years and 100,000 kms.
7. Loaner cars from dealers.
8. Overall lots of more features like Headlight washers, Better Audio system etc.

Cons
1. 9 speed transmission with questionable reliability.
2. 9 speed transmission with jerky shifts at slow speeds.
3. Front seats aren't very comfortable. The cushion length at the bottom is shorter than that of Highlander seats, without considering the thigh extender.
4. Overall reliability of Acura has fallen a bit.
5. Poor infotainment system with strange double screens.
6. Lots of basic things handled via infotainment system with poor response.
7.Premium Gas, though it gets better overall fuel economy than Highlander.
8. Overall higher cost of maintenance. ($150 oil changes?).

I want a vehicle that's more engaging to drive, but I'm not totally happy with either of these. Pilot has been ruled out by DW.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you need to buy now?

Capt seats showing up in 2017 MDX. Reveal is NYAS in 2 months. Infotainment is also changing. Maintenance costs seems all wrong on the MDX. The MDX is as easy and cheap as an Odyssey to maintain, especially if you DIY. Rear parking sensors is an option on the MDX as well. 9 Speed transmission just got a software update that smoothed it out more.

I think when it was down to Highlander LTD vs the MDX, it was just the driving characteristics that did it for me and my wife. She felt that the Highlander was underpowered and so did I. Also it's quite floaty compared to the MDX.

#3 ·
I, too, was considering the Highlander initially, but it just lacked the premium look and feel of the MDX. Looks wise, to me the MDX was much nicer and sleek to look at.

The 4 year warranty was a big selling point as well. There have been no reliability issues with the 9 speed - there have been driveability issues, which are very different. Those driveability issues have been mostly (if not completely) fixed with the 22 Dec 2015 TSB transmission update.

Honda makes better V6's, IMO. Smoother power delivery and nicer sound (we had a Venza with the 3.5 V6 before and it did not inspire confidence).

I find the front seats very comfortable but your mileage will vary - very subjective. Overall, very happy with the vehicle and I love the way it handles and looks. Headlights are amazing.

The MDX is far from perfect - like others, Acura has cut some costs in recent generations of their vehicles. Some things feel cheaper than in previous generations, but it's still a premium vehicle. Infotainment is mediocre, but very useable still. I had some rattles from the rear suspension, but a recent visit to the dealer may have fixed it - still need to drive more to be 100% sure. That noise was the only thing I did not like about the MDX. If it's really gone, I will fall in love with it again.

#4 ·
Cons
2. Not exciting to drive.
For me this would be a major and decisive point but some people are looking only for practicality and don't care so much about this aspect.

At the end of the day it's a personal decision. You're on an MDX forum where almost all of us decided on the MDX even though a significant number of us evaluated the Highlander (and others) when deciding on what to purchase. On the Highlander forum you're likely to find support for the Highlander although they're not always cross-shopped with each other - I think the Highlander would tend to be more cross-shopped with the Pilot - the MDX tends to be considered a bit more premium - whatever that's supposed to mean. Objectively, the warranty length, free loaner cars when being serviced, etc. are something to consider.

Consider what 'neoshi' said above - the 2017 is said to have some changes in the area of the seats, maybe the Nav, and elsewhere. The changes may be better or may be worse than the current model - we won't know until it's out.

I have a 2014 MDX (owned since July 2013) and have been very happy with it. I haven't had the issues some people report on here. I really enjoy driving it - handling, acceleration, smoothness, quietness, overall size and package. I tend to drive it as if it's a sports car even though I know it isn't one.

#7 ·
Think you should look at the Pilot. Plenty of Highlander v Pilot threads on the Piloteers forum. It even comes with Captains chairs!

As for the 9 speed, its not the reliability that's causing issues, rather every car company using it is having integration into the power train issues.

#8 ·
We got a 2015 Pathfinder Platinum instead of rolling our 2014 MDX into a 2016 model.

More features, lower price, and I actually prefer the "butch" look of the Nissan better than the "station wagon" look of the MDX (without running boards/roof rails, which are both optional...).

#9 ·
Cleanlude - "Those driveability issues have been mostly (if not completely) fixed with the 22 Dec 2015 TSB transmission update."

Does this apply to the 2010 MDX? I have an advanced that I picked up last May and there were two TSB updates that I needed in Sept/Oct. Calling the dealer they indicated there were no new one's for my vehicle.

Thanks in advanced.

#11 ·
I traded a Highlander Limited in when I bought my MDX. Want my advice? Get the Highlander. I will trading in my MDX as soon as my job situation stabilizes. The Highlander I had NEVER gave me any troubles. Never used the warranty. I got those silly Toyota recalls for mats, and stickers, but other than oil and tires it needed NOTHING, unlike the MDX.

#12 ·
I traded a Highlander Limited in when I bought my MDX. Want my advice? Get the Highlander. I will trading in my MDX as soon as my job situation stabilizes. The Highlander I had NEVER gave me any troubles. Never used the warranty. I got those silly Toyota recalls for mats, and stickers, but other than oil and tires it needed NOTHING, unlike the MDX.
That's fine since the OP was looking for advice and anecdotes but what you posted is just that - an anecdote - just like the anecdote I posted about having 'no' problems with my 2014 MDX (30K miles on it now). If the OP asks enough people there'll be anecdotes on both sides - for any vehicle of interest.

The OP really needs to evaluate both vehicles, preferably by doing long test drives in varying conditions, and really understanding what they'll end up with regarding fit, including longer term seat comfort, Nav, safety tech, etc., and how suitable each is to their driving style, particular use cases (weekend hauler, grocery getter, cross country trips, etc.), and make a personal decision.

#13 ·
There are better cars for less money which don't nickel and dime like Acura does (roof rails come to mind). The *materials* quality on the current-gen MDX is nowhere near my 3G (2011) - that is a fact (I'm happy to show back-to-back photos but a simple search will yield ample results of headliner, panel gaps, etc.). In my opinion, Lincoln (Alabama) has been a failure. If they can't affix an emblem straight - and if QA/QC can't catch something as simple and obvious - there are deeper-rooted issues.

And, so, after seven Acuras, we gone.

And love our Nissan Pathfinder with 9-year old navigation technology (the 2017 Pathfinder will get the new navi as found on the Maxima, Murano, 2016 Altima, etc.).

#14 ·
For me the driving experience, upscale make and model, and availability of loaners would seal the deal for the MDX if everything else evens out.

I hate having to take my van in for service at the Honda dealer because I know it's time wasted since they don't have loaners.

#15 ·
There are better cars for less money which don't nickel and dime like Acura does (roof rails come to mind). The *materials* quality on the current-gen MDX is nowhere near my 3G (2011)
Again - anecdotes. I know you and Flame Red haven't had great experiences with your 3rd gen MDXs but I and some others have. The OP should take what we all say with a grain of salt.

I checked out the 2nd gen MDX but didn't like it as well as the third gen on styling, acceleration, third row access, mileage, ride, the overall package. I liked the 2nd gen better than most of the similar vehicles available but I like the 3rd gen better. I actually held off buying a new vehicle expecting a major design change and it came in the 2014.

I once felt like you do about a vehicle, a Ford Exploder, the least reliable vehicle I've ever had. Some other people had few problems with theirs but I was glad to be rid of it once I sold it. I didn't even consider the new Exploder on this last buying decision despite every component in the Exploder design being different than the one I had.

I have an advantage over some people in that I have no brand loyalty (maybe some dis-loyalty as mentioned above). The next time I'm ready for a new vehicle I'll check out what the market has which will likely include Acura as well as a number of other brands - but probably not whatever the latest Exploder is.

I'm glad you like the Pathfinder. I hope it doesn't disappoint over the course of the next few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.