Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy 2016 certified pre owned mdx but read about the issues with the 9 speed transmission and how rough it is when driving less than 40mph. If you won 2016 mdx what is your experience? Would you recommend buying it ? Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I personally have a 2015 but currently using a 2018 as a loaner. Everyone has their own opinion but I recommend you get a good test drive on the 16 before committing. To me 1st to 3rd gears are shorter and sluggish. I primarily drove in sport and manual mode as I do mine but found stop and go a bit frustrating. It takes some getting used to and the others gears are much smoother. I've also driven an ILX with the 8 speed and surprisingly the shifts were smoother in the lower gears compared to the 9 speed in the MDX.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I find the 9-speed pretty smooth in normal Drive mode. Sport mode is useful for stop-and-go driving as it minimizes the gear changes, but the high revs and gear shifts are more noticeable. It is good for winding roads as well. Prior to the MDX I drove a manual for 45 years, and I find the manual shifting to often result in rough shifts and I almost never use it. Also, the large number of gears makes it more challenging to find the right one. First gear is a very short gear which results in a quick upshift, and is useful for quick starts and heavy loads and towing. Personally I am pleased with the 9-speed overall, but I should note that I did get a warranty replacement. Acura has been very good about the extended warranty support so I wouldn't let that be an issue. Just take note of any chirping sounds during your test drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts