Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I sat down with the Service Rep brought up a screen with the B12 service and recommended options that came to $1035. Once all of the options were removed, the "base" B12 service was $389.

While I prefer to use a dealer to work on my car, having to deal with this up-selling on service with so many options to choose what to do, it becomes frustrating.

Is this typical of Acura service centers?

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you pay it they will charge it.

B12 is a good DIY starter if you are interested.

$300 + is still absurde for that service.

Oil and Oil Filter Change
Tire Rotation
Engine Air Fliter Change
Cabin Air Filter Change.

The engine air filter and cabin filter requires
No tools but the dealer likes to make people believe this is difficult.

For engine air you open the hood and unlatch the air box with your fingers and remove the filter / align new filter and latch the box back.

For cabin air, your remove the contents of your glove box (2nd hardest part) then pinch open the door in the back pull out the filter frame, remove it and replace with new - just make sure the air flow is the right direction both have indication marks. It’s idiot proof and then align the pleats. And put it back. Then the hardest part is putting back your glove box contents (unless you keep a clean glove box)

If you want the dealer records then do the air filters yourself and let them do the oil change and rotation but that should only be $60. (And I cringe saying that)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That is outrageous. I wouldn't use that dealer.

A B12 is less than an hour work for the dealer, and approximately $90 in parts (using Mobil 1 oil + filter, and OEM engine/cabin filters)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get oil and oil filter change from dealer...may be $50...check oil change specials

Tire rotation at Costco for $25
Cabin and engine filter is $10 a piece at amazon or get drop in filter for $50 each and then just clean and use it for life...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
get drop in filter for $50 each and then just clean and use it for life...
avoid those types of filters. They tend to do an awful job at filtering... Plus cleaning them typically requires letting them dry for 24 hours or more... Better to just use the OEM-style paper filters. Effective filtration, reasonable cost, and you can change them in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
get drop in filter for $50 each and then just clean and use it for life...
avoid those types of filters. They tend to do an awful job at filtering... Plus cleaning them typically requires letting them dry for 24 hours or more... Better to just use the OEM-style paper filters. Effective filtration, reasonable cost, and you can change them in 5 minutes.
Agreed - skip any reusable filters they don’t make sense unless it’s a golf cart.

Go OEM engine air filter and Fram FreshBreeze cabin filter. It’s the only Fram product I’ll buy and it’s good.

If you have the chops do it all yourself.
https://youtu.be/C-vwZGCBt-I

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm amazed that the cabin filter is not charcoal-impregnated. Come on. Acura. $50k plus car and I gotta smell diesel fumes from car in front of me. Is there a charcoal one in the aftermarket that you guys know about?
First of all, why does everyone start EVERY FRIGGIN' GRIPE with "Come on Acura, $50k and ....."??? Sounds rediculous. MOST vehicles do not use charcoal-impregnated filters -- including vehicles that cost WAY more than Acura.

And if you did even a modicum of research, you'd see that the Fram FreshBreeze filter, available for the MDX (and most other Honda/Acura products) is available with charcoal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Lemme explain something, p07r0457, I consider Lexus to be a competitor to Acura, and they use charcoal filters. And I always thought that this forum was a place where members can express their viewpoints and opinions. My opinion is not wrong, it's just that you don't like it. And the "modicum of research" thing, I thought I'd ask members if they knew. Geeezz! So thin-skinned. If you knew of unresolved issues I've had with this car, you'd better understand my disappointment with it. I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat, but do NOT want to take the huge depreciation of a 1-year-old car. So many seem to give Acura a pass on practically everything. I ain't one of those. If I see an issue, I talk about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you're not ready to do fluid changes yourself, you can certainly snap the new filters in in less than 10 minutes.
Do both filters yourself. Engine air filter is under the hood accessed from the top. No tools required.
Cabin filter is inside the glove box, no tools required. It's no different from changing filter in a home air purifier.

If you swap tires twice a year, you definitely don't need rotation done.

Then just pay for an "A-service". "A-service" is usually quite reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Lemme explain something, p07r0457, I consider Lexus to be a competitor to Acura, and they use charcoal filters. And I always thought that this forum was a place where members can express their viewpoints and opinions. My opinion is not wrong, it's just that you don't like it. And the "modicum of research" thing, I thought I'd ask members if they knew. Geeezz! So thin-skinned. If you knew of unresolved issues I've had with this car, you'd better understand my disappointment with it. I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat, but do NOT want to take the huge depreciation of a 1-year-old car. So many seem to give Acura a pass on practically everything. I ain't one of those. If I see an issue, I talk about it.
I did find some aftermarket filters with carbon, but even Lexus doesn't use carbon in their standard/OEM cabin filters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota...-FILTER-87139-YZZ20-87139-YZZ08-/282403047781

This is the OEM filter in the 2017 CT200h, ES350, GX460, LS460, NX200t, RX350, as well as a slew of Toyota models:

·
Registered
417 Posts
My wife had a 2004 RX330 and it was charcoal (black look to it) and she now has a 2009 RX350 and that is also charcoal. Seems Lexus has cut corners of late. Maybe they have to, because they GOTTA be losing sales due to the ugly "corporate front end". Being honest, that's why I bought an MDX instead of the RX350. The 2017 MDX is classy looking, that much I'll give it. I'll be using the Fram replacement when time comes. I'm only at 8k miles. And I do that and engine air filter changes myself, as well as brake jobs when that becomes needed (if I have it that long).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Agreed - skip any reusable filters they don’t make sense unless it’s a golf cart.

Go OEM engine air filter and Fram FreshBreeze cabin filter. It’s the only Fram product I’ll buy and it’s good.

If you have the chops do it all yourself.
https://youtu.be/C-vwZGCBt-I
Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter is the only other Fram product I'll use (and their cabin filter). But ONLY the Ultra. oil filter. Their other oil filters are crap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Time is money, but it ain't worth that much money! Oil change is the only thing I'd pay for in that list.
I generally agree but for me I do it fluids and easy stuff myself to save time. I can change the oil/fluids on my car a whole lot faster then it would take to bring it somewhere, wait and come back. I commute to NYC by train so there are not many options where I can drop off and pick up.

The last time I did (dropped it off in the AM and picked it back up in the PM) it was a huge hassle as I had to make a certain train to get back to the shop in time and then that train got canceled and I had to get my wife to go and settle the bill and get the keys and then she had to meet me at the train station to give me the keys. Then to find out my next oil change they stripped the pan.

So for now own I just do it myself and it saves me a lot of time and money as a bonus (and I use quality oils and parts)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm amazed that the cabin filter is not charcoal-impregnated. Come on. Acura. $50k plus car and I gotta smell diesel fumes from car in front of me. Is there a charcoal one in the aftermarket that you guys know about?
OEM is not but there are several aftermarket options that are good or better than OEM and depending on how you drive you should replace it at least every year. I replace it twice a year because the Aftermarket ones are so cheap. These are not essential engine parts so I am willing to take a risk with non marketed aftermarket cabin filters.

Fram: CF10134 ($18.87 at Walmart / Amazon: http://amzn.to/2F3Kkcj

UCreative: U10134 (3 for $16 or 4 for $20) (price increased on these as I got 2 packages of 3 for $13.50 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2GVpKHA

Fram has 28 pleats
uCreative has 29 pleats

Fram’s top media is darker in color - I don’t know if that actually means anything.

The uCreative feels slightly heavier and has tighter folds.

They are both the same size and have about the same feel (media)

At $4.40 each the uCreative seems like a no brainer to me!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but in other cars, I've taken out the cabin filter and blown it out with compressed air, and used it for another 10k miles. I make sure I keep the air nozzle far enough away from the element to clean it, but not separate the media. But considering the good prices I've seen (and you guys have noted) for the MDX units online, it's better to just buy several and replace every 10k or every year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.