Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Advance w/RES. About 15K miles on it, and I just recently noticed that the drivers side floorboard, has a huge bump in the middle of it. It goes from the front to the back, noticeable hump. I initially thought it was the Acura brand all weather mat, but lifting it up, it appears to be the floorboard. It is not just the carpeting either as I can't push it down, it is hard, feels like the sheet metal warped up.

Taking it to the dealership soon, but wanted to find out if anyone else had this problem. I can't imagine it will be an easy fix, and I don't want them to just "bang it" down.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think i recall only one case of this before and i don't recall what the resolution was.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2016 Advance w/RES. About 15K miles on it, and I just recently noticed that the drivers side floorboard, has a huge bump in the middle of it. It goes from the front to the back, noticeable hump. I initially thought it was the Acura brand all weather mat, but lifting it up, it appears to be the floorboard. It is not just the carpeting either as I can't push it down, it is hard, feels like the sheet metal warped up.

Taking it to the dealership soon, but wanted to find out if anyone else had this problem. I can't imagine it will be an easy fix, and I don't want them to just "bang it" down.

Thanks

Can u post a picture of the bump? I have a 2016 adv+res and will compare. Although, mine has had every issue that ever came up with these models :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine is also a 2016 Tech and haven't seen anything like that, post pics if you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures. I put in the piece of trim to show the bump as it is pretty hard to see from regular pictures.

The only thing I had done was about 2 weeks ago where they had to replace the steering column due to it making grinding noises, which I assume they had a bulletin for.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here are some pictures. I put in the piece of trim to show the bump as it is pretty hard to see from regular pictures.

The only thing I had done was about 2 weeks ago where they had to replace the steering column due to it making grinding noises, which I assume they had a bulletin for.
That's not looking good. Mine is flat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not looking good. Mine is flat.
Especially since it was never like that until a few days ago. Just curious as to what the heck is going on. I looked underneath and there is nothing damaged by that area, and it seems like there are a lot of stuff in between that floorboard and the ground. It would be hard to reach just that area.

I am taking it in tomorrow, lets see what they say.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If I had to guess? They bent the floor by missaligning the lift in the floor side instead of the jacking point... That happened to a friend TL that got jacked up badly in a Pepboys many years ago, They had to hammer the **** out of the bump to make it flat again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took it in and they said it is suppose to be there as a cable runs underneath. He showed me another one that had the bump but not as bad as mine.
I still find it weird cause I am certain it wasn't there before, and my friend who has a 2015 Advance doesn't have it.
I wonder what the best way to find out if it is "normal".
Now I find it so irritating cause every time I rest my left foot I can feel it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I took it in and they said it is suppose to be there as a cable runs underneath. He showed me another one that had the bump but not as bad as mine.
I still find it weird cause I am certain it wasn't there before, and my friend who has a 2015 Advance doesn't have it.
I wonder what the best way to find out if it is "normal".
Now I find it so irritating cause every time I rest my left foot I can feel it.

My 2016 awd adv/res has the same bump. I thought it was normal, but I have had the steering column replaced as well. I’ll post pictures soon and bring it up to my dealer on Monday. I am also going to check out a few other 2016 adv/res awd as well and let u know.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My 2016 awd adv/res has the same bump. I thought it was normal, but I have had the steering column replaced as well. I’ll post pictures soon and bring it up to my dealer on Monday. I am also going to check out a few other 2016 adv/res awd as well and let u know.
interesting.

there has to be more members here with the 2016 version to confirm both findings. Either it was there from the get; was never there, but only turned up after applying said TSB?

All we can do now is wait for all the results to come pouring in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone else?

About a month or so ago, I cleaned and detailed my whole car. I remember vacuuming the floors and absolutely don't remember a bump there. I would have noticed it with the flat vacuum attachment.

Anyone with a 2016 that have a flat floorboard out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess, what is the next step here? Do I contact Acura and start something with them? Or follow up with dealership and ask to see other cars? Before they looked at it, it was hard as a rock, now it is softer on the sides, they said there is a cable that runs below it.

·
Registered
2017 MDX
195 Posts
Sounds like the cable run under the carpet was dislodged or moved during the steering column replacement. (Not indicating I have any idea if that's possible or the case)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They said they did, and it is a cable that runs to the underneath of the seat.

I find it really odd, that I would have never noticed that bump. and why would they ever design it that way?

Does anyone know what it involves to replace the steering column?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts