Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2016 Acura MDX uncomfortable driver seats?

16K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  mdxstang 
#1 ·
I have new 2016 Acura MDX and love the car in general.

However, after driving now for a few months I still haven't found the driver's seat very comfortable. I'm 6 feet tall, and have tried every adjustable position possible but still unable to get a nice comfortable feel. Would love to hear if anyone else is having this issue, and /or any suggestions...

#3 ·
I find the seats VERY comfortable. I have an Advance model which I think has different seats or at least leather.

#4 ·
That I completely agree with, but I am talking about the size of the seat itself. It could extend for a little bit longer. I am 185 cm tall not sure it's considered overly tall or not. Some Cadillacs and BMWs I have seen, had extended platform to support your knees, that would come VERY handy in the MDX.

#5 ·
This usually comes up with every new model. It is usually because a person may not have a typical body type like longer legs/arms, shorter torso, longer torso, back problems, etc... I have really long arms and requires me to put the seat as far back/down as it can go. I'm almost looking out the back driverside window when I look to the left. The wife is 4'11" and sits right up on the air bag. I wish Acura had adjustable gas/brake pedals for a tiny bit more leg room and move the wifey back from the airbag.

It can also be something as simple as foot wear. At 6'3" and size 14 shoe, thinner soles can give me an extra 1-2 inches of leg room (which can feel like going to a lazy boy at my size). One issue I had in my TSX was my wallet was too thick and the extra few inches was moving my hips out of place and causing a little pain in my right leg on +2hr trips. Getting the junk out of my wallet solve that problem.

I now leave the wallet in the center console and wear thin sole shoe when traveling long distances.

#6 ·
I'm 6'0" and my Audi has the extendable leg cushion, I don't use it though. I guess it doesn't bother me, but I could see someone with longer legs looking for that feature.

#10 ·
Here's what's a bit weird about the seats (2014 Tech) for me. At first I had the same opinion about the 'not as comfortably positioned as it seems it s/b' and the 'bottom cushion seeming short'.

However, after driving it for a while it seems that it's become more comfortable to me. This may just be me subconsciously getting more used to it or it may be due to conformation of the seat cushion and leather to my dimensions (5'10" and average weight).

I had a vehicle in the past (Ford Exploder) that had an extendable thigh support cushion and it really helped make it more comfortable.

I think it'd help if Acura had an adjustable thigh support as well as some rotation in the seat adjustment - i.e. ability to tilt the whole seat (bottom and back) towards the rear. My Durango has that which helps comfort but the MDX does not.

For some reason I find the MDX more comfortable now than at the beginning and that includes driving it coast to coast and back. Hopefully others who find it not quite as comfortable as they'd like will find it better as it's used more and perhaps conforms more to them. Also - hopefully Acura will improve the seats in a future MDX version.

#11 ·
Its weird, when I test drove a 2015 I loved the seats. Then when I went back to look at a 2016 I didnt think they were nearly as comfortable. Then when they readied the one I chose from inventory for the one I wanted to take home, the seats were just as good as I remembered the 2015's. I think there is a inconsistency in the cushioning, leading to some having much better seats than others.

#20 ·
Long Distance Drive

We just got our 2017 Acura MDX with the top of the line package and seats. Driving around town is very comfortable but not so much on long distances. With the steering wheel all the way down and the seat with any adjustments nothing works. Arm and hand positions at 3 and 9 on a long drive (2 hrs) results in sore arms and shoulders. Any thoughts on how that can be adjusted to make this more comfortable? Overall, LOVE the vehicle !!

#21 ·
This thread is a little old, but I'm hoping an MDX'er will find this quickly and reply. Same problem. I'm 5'9", 220lb, 57 yrs old. Just picked up a 2015 MDX base model. CANNOT stand the seat after about 30 minutes!!! My thighs are riding on top of the thigh bolstering, which happens with any car, but because of the tough padding, it is KILLING my thighs after about 30 minutes!!! This is SO difficult!! I love this car and want to keep it. What is going on???!! Is someone aware of a different seat option on the SH-AWD Advance??? I am unfortunately working on a deal to return this car after only 3 days because I will not be able to bear a semi-long distance trip in my own car. So if ANYONE can reply with ANY padding solution or something they came up with to relieve this, I would really appreciate. I love everything else about this MDX!

thx

#24 ·
Ahhh. I hadn't done enough research about the MDX to know there is a difference in seats in Advance model. We were shopping for a Lexus RX 350 and came across an MDX, which I have always loved. I ended-up returning my 2015 FWD base model (and I was lucky the dealership took it back) and got a 2015 CPO Lexus RX 350. Yeah, I know...a mom car, but can't argue with the reliability numbers. The MDX actually is a smoother ride than the Lexus AWD I got. Less body roll and somehow smooths-out the bumps and stays better-behaved on the road. I will miss the sportier MDX for sure. Also going to miss no LEDs. But that darn base model seat....

#26 ·
I just returned yesterday from a coast to coast and back (5500 miles) trip in my 2014 Tech and was comfortable the entire time. I'm 5'10". I recall it taking awhile for me to adjust the seat 'just right' in the beginning but once set it's stored in the seat memory and I haven't had to adjust it since. It seemed to take me more time to adjust just right than prior vehicles and I was left wishing for more fine adjustments and better thigh support although somehow I have it such that I can drive more than 10 hours in a day okay.

If nothing else, keep playing with the seat adjustments to see if you can tweak it to be comfortable.

The fit of the seat, including the armrests, is one of the more important attributes of a vehicle and shouldn't be skipped when evaluating a vehicle and one size doesn't fit all so what one may find as quite comfortable another might find non-livable to the point of needing to skip purchasing the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.