Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Pretty decent review. It took a little getting used to the dual screen infotainment, but once used to it, and once you've configured the car to your liking, I find myself almost never going in there and doing anything. She's also wrong about the HVAC stuff, there is redundant control for temp and sync/etc. She was showing the cooled/heated seats which initially seemed annoying to me, but unlike ANY car I've ever owned, the heated/cooled seats are linked to the Automatic Climate Control and turn on/off/up/down automatically, and honestly, it seems to work fantastically. So since they had the thoughtfulness to do that, I leave the seats in Auto and I never fart around with those settings.

The steering wheel controls easily handle my audio needs for switching stations/songs and volume. Short of inputting nav directions or making a quick call, I don't really use the bottom screen much. I also like the speed-dial shortcuts, etc.

Anyways, I initially thought this would be a frustrating system, but once you configure your car and get settled in, it works great. After utilizing my parent's 2015 Lexus RX with a single screen and the lame mouse, the MDX touchscreen and dual-screen is VERY refreshing.

If I were to improve the system, I would make it so you can utilize more of the system while driving so passengers can configure NAV settings while driving, and I'd consider bumping up the resolution a little. The Nav display itself should include more street names as well, but other than that, the functional design is pretty intuitive, but for a brand new driver it's worth spending a few minutes to customize it so you're not always searching for what you need, etc.

Finally, she put the adaptive cruise control in the most aggressive (closest) mode, so it does break with more aggressiveness.

·
Registered
314 Posts
She mirrors what most people on here say. The ADC sucks, as does the nav and interface. Otherwise, great value and competitive with cars that cost 20k more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pretty decent review. It took a little getting used to the dual screen infotainment, but once used to it, and once you've configured the car to your liking, I find myself almost never going in there and doing anything. She's also wrong about the HVAC stuff, there is redundant control for temp and sync/etc. She was showing the cooled/heated seats which initially seemed annoying to me, but unlike ANY car I've ever owned, the heated/cooled seats are linked to the Automatic Climate Control and turn on/off/up/down automatically, and honestly, it seems to work fantastically. So since they had the thoughtfulness to do that, I leave the seats in Auto and I never fart around with those settings.

The steering wheel controls easily handle my audio needs for switching stations/songs and volume. Short of inputting nav directions or making a quick call, I don't really use the bottom screen much. I also like the speed-dial shortcuts, etc.

Anyways, I initially thought this would be a frustrating system, but once you configure your car and get settled in, it works great. After utilizing my parent's 2015 Lexus RX with a single screen and the lame mouse, the MDX touchscreen and dual-screen is VERY refreshing.

If I were to improve the system, I would make it so you can utilize more of the system while driving so passengers can configure NAV settings while driving, and I'd consider bumping up the resolution a little. The Nav display itself should include more street names as well, but other than that, the functional design is pretty intuitive, but for a brand new driver it's worth spending a few minutes to customize it so you're not always searching for what you need, etc.

Finally, she put the adaptive cruise control in the most aggressive (closest) mode, so it does break with more aggressiveness.
I second every word of this reply. Touch screen is the way most cars will go in the upcoming years so MDX is already ahead of many players out there. I am also leaving ventilated / heated seats at "Auto" and never worry about it. Controls on the steering wheel duplicate many functions of the touch screen. You just can't have as many buttons as many options cars can offer these days so touch screens are imminent. Plus don't forget about voice controls - simply saying "ventilated seats auto" or 1,2,3 will do it for you, no need to get distracted from driving.
People doing the reviews just need to read the manual and drive the car for at least few days before making any conclusions. Once you get used to everything that car has to offer (and it really doesn't take that long), it feels fantastic.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I second every word of this reply. Touch screen is the way most cars will go in the upcoming years so MDX is already ahead of many players out there. I am also leaving ventilated / heated seats at "Auto" and never worry about it. Controls on the steering wheel duplicate many functions of the touch screen. You just can't have as many buttons as many options cars can offer these days so touch screens are imminent. Plus don't forget about voice controls - simply saying "ventilated seats auto" or 1,2,3 will do it for you, no need to get distracted from driving.
People doing the reviews just need to read the manual and drive the car for at least few days before making any conclusions. Once you get used to everything that car has to offer (and it really doesn't take that long), it feels fantastic.
Yes, but I do understand that most reviewers see thousands of cars and walking into the MDX isn't quite as easy to get used to as BMW/Audi. It's just a bit different since other cars don't have dual screens. However, after literally 2-3 days, you've made your adjustments and you're pretty much used to it and it becomes really intuitive. The physical buttons controlling the top screen is also weird at first, but once you adjust to that, it makes perfect sense. However, test drives, rental car drivers and reviewers probably struggle at first, and you wonder how much that costs Acura in sales/reviews.

It'd be a little unfortunate if Acura revised that to a single display in 2017, I'd wonder how they'd pull that off.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think that 2 screens is good because I want to move my eyes to get info not keep changing menus. My Audi has one screen and I am always changing screens with the mouse. I cannot see radio and nav or systems, it uses a button push then mouse movement like the previous gens of RL and MDX.
I do, however prefer a mouse or rotator knob, I will never ever by a touch screen in a car. Yes a lot of cars have them because they are cheap not because they are good. Hitting a soft button at arms length while driving over bumps is impossible, heck I even hit the wrong keys on an iPad in my lap.
Audis newer models are using the knob system but the screen is configurable like most control GUIs. It's a great idea, requires a bigger screen and if Acura go that route I think it will be the way the one screen will do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It'd be a little unfortunate if Acura revised that to a single display in 2017, I'd wonder how they'd pull that off.[/QUOTE]

hopefully it will be one big a** screen like in Tesla or the infotainment tablet style/function of the Volvo cx90.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It'd be a little unfortunate if Acura revised that to a single display in 2017, I'd wonder how they'd pull that off.
hopefully it will be one big a** screen like in Tesla or the infotainment tablet style/function of the Volvo cx90.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if they went that route, I'd be ok...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not that much bothered/confused by the dual screens at all.

On the other hand, the new Benz, Mazda, BMW i3, all having the display right on top of the dash, making it driving with a chopping board in front which is not my taste at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not that much bothered/confused by the dual screens at all.

On the other hand, the new Benz, Mazda, BMW i3, all having the display right on top of the dash, making it driving with a chopping board in front which is not my taste at all.
Exactly! I think 2 screens is an excellent idea and I very much hope that Acura will continue this trend. One screen is a touch-buttons hub while another one nicely expands above the dash and can uninterruptedly show you navigation, trip info, parking cams etc.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I got the solution guys:

lol

and im sure in traffic you'll wish that target lock meant lane making ordinance would deploy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts