Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on October 25 I took my MDX I'm for the dreaded transmission chirp. I explained what I thought it was and what could be done to replicate it. After the first week, they tell me it's not the transmission, rather a control arm in the rear. I politely informed them that I doubt that is the issue and they need to focus on the transmission. Long story short, the replace all the bits in the back, service says it's fixed... But it's not, my service rep was able to get the transmission to make the noise again.

Week 2 I never heard back from anyone.

Week 3 I get a call from the rep telling me that the foreman of the shop needs me to come in and drive it to replicate the noise even though the rep can do it. They claim the rep is driving car "too hard" when it makes the noise. I am not very happy but I drive back there and replicate the noise for them.

Week 4 don't hear anything.

Week 5 they finally notify me IT IS the transmission. tell me it will be a couple more days. The day I am supposed to get car, they call to inform me it has developed a vibration at highway speeds. Now the front axles / half shafts need to be replaced. That's where we are now about to be on week 6.

So is there any chance I can claim lemon law on this vehicle? I really don't want it back after all this garbage it's been through. I will get to find out more tomorrow from them. :frown2:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Ouch.. Sadly unless they cant "fix" it you are not legible for lemon law. They are after all replacing the stuff and providing the warranty you paid for.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm going through something similar, except they just can't replicate the chirp on their own. I admit I have some difficulty doing it consistently too, but I can make it appear once every few tries. I also got the "oh it's something else, like the intake" deal, so I went to another dealership. Now they want me to come back on Wednesday because they didn't actually do a pressure test last time to see if it really is the warmer issue or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Happy with my replacement 9 speed

I've posted before about my first rate experience with my 9 speed. In short, once the noise was easily repeatable, I shot a video of the instruments/sound and took in to the dealer. This was in September and it was the second one they had seen.

They gave me a loaner MDX, kept mine, and found coolant in the transmission. It took 3 weeks for Acura to release the replacement transmission and about a week to install it. The new 2017 build trans is far smoother than the original one ever was.

At least for me, Acura did exactly what they should have, and the car drives better than when new. You may want to give the dealer a chance to complete the repair. It's good that they identified the vibration and are fixing it rather than having you return later with the vibration. It sounds like they are doing the right thing.

FWIW, my transmision warmer/intercooler was not one of the recalled ones. A new one was installed along with the transmission.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 6.5 weeks I have my car back. Decided not to get an 18 because they wanted too much. I have to admit, the transmission feels better than the 17 loaner I had with only 4k miles on it.

Hopefully this new transmission holds up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.