Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm having a bit of a love fest over the last few days with this new MKX, am I crazy??? In another 6mos or so, I will be looking to replace my 2014 MDX and while it's been an excellent car, and my local dealer has been very nice to deal with, there's just no way I will move to a 2017 with the identical interior. While I appreciate some of the small exterior changes on the new one, my view is from the driver's seat 90% of the time and I feel like a change of scenery. It's a lease, and I will likely do the same with the next wheels, so long term reliability and resale are not huge priorities, although I realize resale impact residuals, which makes for a solid lease and value in the MDX. I have not driven the MKX, only seem i the flesh first time last week, and I have to say, it's growing on me very fast. The grill was the only questionable part, but I'm starting to warm up, all other angles are actually really nice IMO, much better than MDX in my eyes. Losing the 3rd row is a bummer.....I don't *need* it, but admittedly, the extra cargo room and "what if" is nice to have in my back pocket. Buddy of mine just got a brand new Edge Sport, fully loaded and it's a nice drive, the Lincoln is nicer and much less "Edge-y" than it used to be. The 22-way seats with massage are pretty cool, the tech with Sync-3 is eons ahead of the Acura, and well.......thoughts? opinions?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Jesus get the Audi Q7 and don´t look back, its the best car to lease in this segment.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus get the Audi Q7 and don´t look back, its the best car to lease in this segment.
Damn near twice the payments of the MDX here in Canada :(

Oh yeah, should have mentioned.....CANADA, game changer for some deals.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DAMN Canada, I feel you man.. So sorry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new MKX is very nice. Some good friends of ours have one, it's very comfortable, drives well, and you're right that the tech is way, way better than Acura's. The MKX is great looking in the flesh, I could do with fewer lines on the hood but other than that I think it looks fantastic. Very muscular. If it was a touch larger and had a third row it would be near the top of my shopping list.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take an extended drive and then report back. If you don't need the 3rd row, there are so many options out there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take an extended drive and then report back. If you don't need the 3rd row, there are so many options out there.
If I can get out in one today I will....although not sure how extended of a test ride it will be.

I'm not in a position to pull the trigger on one immediately, so I'm not so serious to request taking one for a few hours, likely just the standard 20min spin to get a solid impression.

It's funny.....on the outside, it appears there are many options, but when I narrow it right down, there are actually very few that meet a host of criteria.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For me - since there's no 3rd row seat, which I still want even though I don't have kids at home, this wouldn't be in the running.

Outside of that, for me it'd be largely about the driving experience - handling, acceleration, feel. The MDX is great in these aspects - I don't know how the Lincoln would be.

It's a crowded field for 2 row SUVs with lots of competition. If I was in the market for one of those there's be a lot I'd check out before settling on one.

My last experience with a Ford (Exploder) wasn't a good one - it was a very unreliable vehicle. I'd have to get over that before even considering something like a Lincoln.

The thing to do is to actually do a lengthy test drive in this as well as at least a few competitor vehicles and see what you think after doing that. It sounds like you're mostly just looking at the 'look' so far.

But I'd really just keep driving the MDX since a 2014 isn't that old unless you drive tons of miles/year. My 2014 has just under 30K miles on it so it's good to go for a long time. I also don't lease vehicles - it's generally the most expensive way to have a vehicle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outside of that, for me it'd be largely about the driving experience - handling, acceleration, feel. The MDX is great in these aspects - I don't know how the Lincoln would be.
Of course, driving experience is extremely important to me as well, and the MDX has and continues to provide me with a very good one.

It's a crowded field for 2 row SUVs with lots of competition. If I was in the market for one of those there's be a lot I'd check out before settling on one.
I have checked out most of not all that would be a serious contender that meet my criteria, not many serious contenders, MKX is the only one based on what I see today.

My last experience with a Ford (Exploder) wasn't a good one - it was a very unreliable vehicle. I'd have to get over that before even considering something like a Lincoln.
Not sure how long ago that was, but some of the Ford product avail today is world's ahead and apart from the older stuff. Again, as per my original post, long term is not all that important......if I was buying, Lincoln would not be a brand I would consider.

The thing to do is to actually do a lengthy test drive in this as well as at least a few competitor vehicles and see what you think after doing that. It sounds like you're mostly just looking at the 'look' so far.
Agree with drive of course, as mentioned above. Of course looks are important, it's the very first criteria that has to be met my most.....then all the rest of the boxes have to checked after that. Every vehicle is a compromise, just depends where each of us prioritizes different parts.

But I'd really just keep driving the MDX since a 2014 isn't that old unless you drive tons of miles/year. My 2014 has just under 30K miles on it so it's good to go for a long time. I also don't lease vehicles - it's generally the most expensive way to have a vehicle.
Not a thread to debate merits of buying vs leasing, I'm a person who rarely keeps a vehicle for 3 years, so it is what it is. A change is in my future, not a factor here and no advice or opinion required on that topic. If Acura had done a refresh of the interior, and I liked it, then I would probably be excited to get another MDX. I see absolutely no value in changing to a 2017 model, as it's the same damn car inside and that's my daily view that I want refreshed/changed. If I didn't get the itch for change, I too would happily hold on to my 2014 for longer, it's been an excellent vehicle so far, enjoy it every single day.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
...Not sure how long ago that was
To be fair, it was a long time ago - 1991 to be exact. I'm still carrying a grudge but hopefully Ford has improved since then. I don't know whether they have or not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The whale fluke front end on Lincoln kills the look for me. No 3rd row is a deal breaker for me as well. But how it feels on the road is the a huge deal to me and it seems unlikely its going to drive as sporty as the MDX (but I really have no idea). Is the XC90 not an option? I chose MDX over the 2016 XC90 (I have a 2008 XC90 still and love it) but it would provide you with a change of scenery and everyone seems to love them (lots of MDX defectors on here anyway).

May be the same issue as the Q7 in terms of payments though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course looks are important, it's the very first criteria that has to be met my most . . .
MKXs have replaced the Lincoln Town Car in and around New York City as the car-service workhorse. They are everywhere, and always black. Not as bad as when police cars and taxis were all Crown Vics, but MKXs aren't rare. No idea if it's the same in Vancouver.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whale fluke front end on Lincoln kills the look for me. No 3rd row is a deal breaker for me as well. But how it feels on the road is the a huge deal to me and it seems unlikely its going to drive as sporty as the MDX (but I really have no idea). Is the XC90 not an option? I chose MDX over the 2016 XC90 (I have a 2008 XC90 still and love it) but it would provide you with a change of scenery and everyone seems to love them (lots of MDX defectors on here anyway).

May be the same issue as the Q7 in terms of payments though.
XC90 is a lotta $$$ around here, average MDX much less. And as mentioned, 3rd row is a nice bonus, but not a must have for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MKXs have replaced the Lincoln Town Car in and around New York City as the car-service workhorse. They are everywhere, and always black. Not as bad as when police cars and taxis were all Crown Vics, but MKXs aren't rare. No idea if it's the same in Vancouver.
Really, the brand new 2016's, restyled versions....that's actually surprising.

I have only seen 2 of them on the road since looking pretty rare around here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So went to check one out today to re-look up close and drive......overall, pretty impressive.

The "cockpit" is really nice, a bit tighter, or perhaps *fitted* feeling, not as open. Not a bad thing, just different. The console stretches from the dash to between both driver/passenger, quite cool.

I would say one thing to get used to, I felt I was sitting more in the seat and cockpit as apposed to being "on" it in the MDX and as such, sight lines were perhaps a bit more obscured, reat window smaller (lower profile) and side windows and arm rest on door sill was higher. I could easily get used to it, but it's different.

All switch-gear seems to be well placed, easy to access and well laid out.....cooled seats are sure a nice treat and the upgraded sound system in my tester was actually pretty great.

The seats........simply fantastic! This is a real important one for me, and I must say, the 22-way upgraded models are really amazing. Took about 5mins to fine tune them to my liking and was really amazed at the support and fit that can be achieved......worth every penny of the upgrade imo.

The drive.....really nice, was quite impressed. Very quiet, very smooth, and still connected. Perhaps not quite as much road feel at the MDX, but I personally do not have an issue with that, as said, still connected, not floaty, just a bit more refined.

The motor has plenty of balls when you step on it, but considering it has a solid 10% more HP and 100 ft/lbs more torque, it didn't feel like it. Did not leave me wanting more....again, just different. Quite smooth in delivery and I did try all modes, normal, comfort and sport. When I used the paddle shifters it was more aggressive.

I did not go through too many turns, but did take it through a few twists on a backroad while turning around and was very composed, steering feel was quite nice.....those big 21" low profile wheels definitely add to the feel.

Only spent maybe 5mins on the highway at about 60mph and it was very nice, could see doing an effortless long road trip in that thing.

On the tech side, car has newer Sync-3 and that system is super snappy and fast, requires the lightest of touch to operate and has so much more than the MDX, very impressive look and feel.

The cargo capacity is obviously less.....that 3rd row folded down makes for a pretty healthy space back there, would be a compromise in the MKX is you need it all.

Second row seats were plenty comfy for adults, had my large 6' kid along with, and he fit just fine. Leg room with seats back in MDX is hard to beat.

I looked at and considered all other smaller details too, but foer the sake of not writing a small novel, will save the typing unless anyone has a question.

So, I will say that this is a car I will definitely consider when the time comes, met and exceeded expectations in most areas, will see what incentives they have when it comes time to do a deal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uh.....1 small gripe.....mirrors do NOT auto tilt when in reverse, something I have really really gotten used to and love, dang!

And, as for push button electric shifters, I'm no fan of any, miss a traditional console shift, BUT I will say, having the buttons
located where they are is actually quite intuitive and well designed. They are very clean, take up no console space and the
ergos of having them in plain sight, at eye level when looking forward with your hands on the wheel is very natural and easy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny thing I saw the other night on YouTube. The brand new 1956 Dodge, the car of the future with push button transmission. We've come a long way baby!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The brand new 1956 Dodge, the car of the future with push button transmission.
My family had a 1957 Chrysler - it had a push button automatic trans. The buttons were on the dash. I still remember it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts