Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But the MID hasn't said anything about my rear differential fluid needing to be changed.

Actually, given the low miles I put on my car, my MID has never even come up. I take it to the dealer once a year for an oil change and do rotations/alignments as needed.

Should I wait for my MID to tell me to do the fluid or should I just take it in? The wording on the maintenance schedule alludes to not waiting for the MID if I drive mountainous roads, but I don't.

Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
But the MID hasn't said anything about my rear differential fluid needing to be changed.

Actually, given the low miles I put on my car, my MID has never even come up. I take it to the dealer once a year for an oil change and do rotations/alignments as needed.

Should I wait for my MID to tell me to do the fluid or should I just take it in? The wording on the maintenance schedule alludes to not waiting for the MID if I drive mountainous roads, but I don't.

Thanks.
If I were you, I won't wait for the MID tho, even thought you don't drive that often, fluid will still get contaminated over time, I will stick to the schedule.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were you, I won't wait for the MID tho, even thought you don't drive that often, fluid will still get contaminated over time, I will stick to the schedule.
That's just it though, the wording is vague.

This is from Acura's site for my year/model regarding the fluid:

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

There's no set miles for it, it basically says to go off the MID unless I drive mountainous roads.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There's no set miles for it, it basically says to go off the MID unless I drive mountainous roads.
Since you took your MDX to dealer for oil change yearly, dealer most likely reset the OIL life each time, which could impacted the MID reminder. I am not expert, but I could ask dealer about it and possible change it while you are doing next oil change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. 15k miles on a nearly 5 year old car.
2 mile commute to work :D Barely drive it on weekends, only trips where we need the storage. In any case, I decided to take it in for the fluid change. I'll stick to 30k intervals from now on since my MID never tells me to go in anyway. Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts