Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the 106k mark on the 2015 MDX (SHAWD) and we are noticing the ride is getting a bit rough as in we can feel and hear some suspension hitting. Not sure if the roads are getting worse or the suspension is starting to wear.

It’s 106k of mostly highway miles but a considerable amount driven around NYC.

If I do the normal suspension test (pushing down on the front and rear end) it seems normal. There’s some give but no bounce. It’s only felt / heard when hitting rough road.

I saw there was a service bulletin for 2014-2016’s rear suspension. I didn’t get any notice about it - do they normally notify you if your vehicle may be affected or is it one of those where you have to go through the game.

Has anyone here had the service bulletin performed?

Anyone here had to replace their suspension on a 2014+?

Looks like OEM parts are the only option.

Thanks all

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had my front shocks replaced two weeks ago at 91,000 miles. It passed push-down test and drive wasn't too bad, actually. Since I noticed oil leak from front right shock, I went ahead and replaced both front shocks(you know you have to replace shocks in pairs, right?). Here's photo of old shocks, right one took about 20 minutes to return to its normal shape when pushed in. Left wasn't as bad, but didn't feel much resistance pushing ion. It drives much better now, $400 for OEM parts are well worth the money. I wish I had enough money for rears as well, on my short list.
BTW, Shocks are made by Sack's, but aftermarket are not available

Remove front tires and look for oil leak.

old.jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There could be an issue with the shocks but it could also be the shock mounting bushings. I haven't checked the MDX shock mounting design specifically but shocks typically have mounting bushings and these can compress and get loose, crack, and sometimes be in very bad shape even if the actual shock itself is still working okay. Regardless, over 100K on the shocks is a reasonable life for them.

Sorry - I haven't replaced them on my MDX so I don't have any install details for you.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
To answer your question about notification: The bulletin was not a recall, so no, they do not inform you. Such bulletins are only used when a customer brings up the issue and then it acts as a guide for the tech to follow to cure the issue.

Our struts seem to be prone to failure at around that mark (or before, as we've seen some reports as low as 50-60k).

I'm actually tempted to try to retrofit the adaptive suspension to mine when I need them one day, and either attempt to leave them in one setting I like or use a universal damper controller. Need to look more into the parts list though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There could be an issue with the shocks but it could also be the shock mounting bushings. I haven't checked the MDX shock mounting design specifically but shocks typically have mounting bushings and these can compress and get loose, crack, and sometimes be in very bad shape even if the actual shock itself is still working okay. Regardless, over 100K on the shocks is a reasonable life for them.

Sorry - I haven't replaced them on my MDX so I don't have any install details for you.
If you're referring two donut-like rubber bushings on very top of the struts(right below mounting nut) plus a long rubber piece, mine were still in great 95% of new condition. Other than those, no other bushings.

100,000 miles on the struts are not too bad, IMO. I also replaced all 4 struts on my 2006TL (110,000 miles) a week ago, all 4 shocks are worn but not shot at all, they were not providing needed support they are designed for. In my case, the shocks got worn gradually over 13 years of time, ride wasn't the same even though they passed the bounce test. Shocks do wear out, periodic maintenance item.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also just had the right front shock replaced on our 2015 because it was leaking. I noticed the leak but didn’t have any driveability issues. We’re at 60k miles.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered the suspension parts for all 4 wheels from my local Acura. Not sure if I’ll DIY or let my mechanic do it. It’s way to hot out here these days. I never had to replace an OEM suspension before 150k but I never owned a vehicle as heavy as this one.

Now should I add an alignment - sounds like I should. It would be dumb not to right?

I’ll report back on how it changes the ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you don't have Ingersol-Rand (AKA heavy duty) impact gun, it's better left for your mechanic. Axle, tie-rod ends, sway bar links and ball joints needed to be undone. You'll also need spring compressor.

Alignment is not needed unless has not been aligned for a while.

01.jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Now should I add an alignment - sounds like I should. It would be dumb not to right?
An alignment shouldn't be needed unless the tie rod ends, etc. are replaced or unscrewed (adjustment lengthened or shortened) or there's damage. The only reason to need to re-align is if the steering geometry/dimensions changed for some reason.

From reading forums I think many people routinely align more than needed. An alignment should only be needed if there's significant damage to a steering component to the point where that component needs to be replaced, or if the alignment is 'undone', meaning a steering component like a tie rod end is unscrewed for some reason, usually for replacement, and thus needs to be adjusted on assembly for alignment. Routine pothole hits, curb hits, normal usage, etc. don't affect the alignment - only if damage is done to where the component needs to be replaced, like something getting bent or bushings replaced and the like.

My 2014 MDX with over 60K miles on it that's been driven coast to coast and back multiple times has the original alignment on it and tracks true and has even tire wear and tire life.

If an alignment is done, keep in mind they're often not done properly or well and you may end up with a worse alignment than you started with, or an off center steering wheel.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help / Advice Needed!

For the 2014’s and up the Suspension is all ala cart. You cannot buy a completed assembly. When I went to Acura they told me I just need the struts, everything else can be reused.

When I dropped off the car and parts with my mechanic he said I need all the other parts. After 107k miles and in the east coast you need to change out everything. Maybe he could reuse the spring but if it was his car he would change them.

Everything else adds hundreds of dollars to the bill.

I do agree with everything but I am hesitant about the springs.

What should I do. Take the mechanics advice and do it all including springs or just get everything but the springs.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was regret not changing out spring when I replace strut, I am still not sure if that's the spring problem or what, the car seems have excessive wobbie at the end of turning, like left and right

·
Registered
200 Posts
Strut comes with 2 small rubber bushings, 1 metal ring, 1 lock nut(use new ones), 2 metal spacers(not needed). Protective dust cover and #4 hilited should be reused. Spring replacement is NOT needed unless it's broken(yes, springs do break, rarely). You can replace springs but you're not going to gain anything.

Shock Parts.JPG

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nobody recommend change item 9? That's strut mount. A big piece of rubber which generate all sorts of noise when dried out.

Yes, updating suspension parts is expensive. That's why I do it myself. Get a lifetime alignment as well. You will appreciate it and you can break even typically after two alignments

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For spring, use your eyes. Can you spot rust? If yes, change. Otherwise, keep it. Your car is relatively new. Don't think the spring will sag now. My 2nd gen after 13 years and 110k miles are still doing great. I am actually surprised so many guys have replaced 3rd gen struts.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
BTW, you should buy a pair of roll bar end links. The old one is likely worn now. And when your mechanic removes the old one, they're very likely to get damaged. Heck, he could saw them off by instinct. Then you have to pay a lot more to get them from your indy shop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My sway bar links were still in great condition at 91,000 miles . . . but my 15 MDX had spent most of her life in mostly warmer south, YMMV. Zero rust, not damaged.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Op is at NYC. Not as lucky. Since he hire others to do the job, the cost and benefit calculation is different from DIY. Lots of mechanics will saw off the links without thinking. Nobody will pay them the extra time to use penetrating oil to soak the bolts, to use brake clean to clean, and to use a pick to clean the threads carefully. By destroying the links directly, they also make money from parts. It's a no brainer for them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Total Cost to replace the suspension

$2410 total for all 4 with total replacement of all suspension parts.

$1500 parts
$910 labor

I could have saved a few hundred by buying the parts online instead of direct with the dealer.

My though there was it’s only a couple hundred and I could get the parts the next day.

That turned out to be a week long ordeal so no time savings. And because Acura sent 1 wrong part it cost me a bit more in labor - they had to put back on the right front to get it off the lift while they waited for the right part.

After all said and done - it rides like it’s brand new! So it definitely needed a new suspension.

What I would have done differently is change the struts only at 70kish and then a full replacement at 150ish.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You could have saved more than $200, but your peace of mind is more important than saving a few hundred. I only got new front shocks, but the difference I felt was absolutely great, although it's all gone by now. LOL. I'm planning to get new struts for rear soon, but it's not leaking. Shocks do get weak and need to be replaced with age and mileage even though they do not show any signs of damage.

You should feel like you're driving a brand new MDX again, congrats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts