Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can program the heated steering wheel to go on when I start the car remotely.

I have the Acura factory remote start and steering wheel - both dealer installed but they said there is no way to get the heated steering wheel to go on at the same time of it being remote started, they said they introduced that in later model?

Anyone have any hacks for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If it was dealer installed,how is it factory? Some times when options are dealer installed,they are not integrated like a factory system.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup Dealer Installed - I meant Genuine Acura Parts. Not factory installed. Both were added to the vehicle they already had on the lot.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yup Dealer Installed - I meant Genuine Acura Parts. Not factory installed. Both were added to the vehicle they already had on the lot.
I repeat. Dealer installed parts don’t always intregrate well. It may not be possible.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think you'll see a hack for this as the main computer has to have software to support that. My 17 Advance turns on steering wheel heat with the remote start when the temps are below, I think, 40 degrees. When I initialize the car with the button after getting in, I have to push in the wheel heat paddle to continue to get heat. It seems to work at a somewhat reduced heat level versus actually turning it on with the paddle. I would say that this system began with MY2016, but I'm not sure. It likely was when they started putting the heated wheel in AT THE FACTORY instead of having to have it dealer installed. It's only on Advanced packages.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My 2014 Elite has this feature, but it's a Canadian model and I know the specs between CDN and USA were different back then. And, yes, my heated steering wheel, rear defrost / heated mirros, front defrost and heated wiper zone all come on with the remote start when it's cold out. Weirdly, though, the front defrost, rear defrost and heated steering wheel shut off when I push the 'start' button and I have to manually turn them back on if I still want them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
And here's another weirdness. If the seat heat/cool is set to "Automatic", the seats will heat with the remote start, the level of heat based on outside/inside temp. If you get in, initialize the car, and then override the seat heat/cool settings, it goes off the "Automatic" setting and unless you remember to put it back on Auto, it will not heat/cool next remote start. It should default to auto when you shut off the car, but it doesn't. Weird programming.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Right. I haven't really noticed if the heated seats come on with remote start. I know (in Auto mode anyway), the heated seats won't come on if no one is sitting in the seat, so I just assumed they didn't come on with remote start. I'll have to check next time I remote start. I rarely use remote start and the few times I have, the vehicle only ran for 2 or 3 minutes - not really enough time to heat up the seats.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can program the heated steering wheel to go on when I start the car remotely.

I have the Acura factory remote start and steering wheel - both dealer installed but they said there is no way to get the heated steering wheel to go on at the same time of it being remote started, they said they introduced that in later model?

Anyone have any hacks for this?
I know this is not the answer to your question, but is this really worth spending time on?

The heated steering wheel heats up very quickly to a comfortable temperature - I never wear gloves when driving and have never found it uncomfortably cold, at least after a minute or two - not long enough to worry about. (And I never use my remote start so the cabin is still cold).

And I'm in a cold climate - minus 10c today, car had been sitting for days, and I've used the car right down to minus 30c.

So I'd find any hack to deal with this a waste of time, effort, and possibly money. Get in the car, hit the steering wheel heat button, adjust seatbelt, radio, etc., and should be warm enough in short order.

Just an opinion of course.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this is not the answer to your question, but is this really worth spending time on?

The heated steering wheel heats up very quickly to a comfortable temperature - I never wear gloves when driving and have never found it uncomfortably cold, at least after a minute or two - not long enough to worry about. (And I never use my remote start so the cabin is still cold).

And I'm in a cold climate - minus 10c today, car had been sitting for days, and I've used the car right down to minus 30c.

So I'd find any hack to deal with this a waste of time, effort, and possibly money. Get in the car, hit the steering wheel heat button, adjust seatbelt, radio, etc., and should be warm enough in short order.

Just an opinion of course.
You are absolutely correct - the wheel does heat up very quickly and hitting the paddle is super easy.

some days after skiing I just want it all to be warm and if there’s a way I’d like to do it but it seems only 2016 and up can do this and even so with quarks to it.

The heated steering wheel is best add on to any car if you live / drive in cold climates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts