Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, I interrupted the power tailgate closing or opening and now it seems to be broken. The tailgate raises all the way to the top by itself, but once it reaches the top, it "hiccups" and beeps as though it has hit an obstruction and then closes automatically. If I override the power feature and open the tailgate manually, it will not raise and stay all the way at the top, like the struts don't have enough strength to hold it up there. I'm having a really hard time finding a solid solution to this, but after finally coming across a youtube video, it seems like the strut actuator may be bad (this is exactly what my car is doing):

The problem is that I'm having a hard time believing both sides are bad. It appears that the driver side strut is responsible for the electronic raising/lowering of the hatch since it is the only one with a wiring harness (Acura Part No. 74981-TZ5-325). I assume the passenger side is a simply a spring assist (Acura Part No. 74981-TZ5-315)?

Has anyone had experience with this? It almost seems that since the tailgate opens and closes fine electronically that maybe the passenger side is actually at fault since it can't hold it in the top position? I can replace both if I have to, but these are not cheap. I can only assume people replacing the 2007-2013 model struts with $20 aftermarket ones is because the tailgate had a separate motor for the 2nd gen MDX that is not integrated into the strut assembly?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts