Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i recently purchased a 2015 acura mdx from a private seller and there are two areas with chipped paint. the previous owner covered them up with touch up paint but since this feels like a new car to us, i'd like to investigate getting the 2 areas fixed up prior to getting a ceramic coating put on the exterior.

one area is on the rear right corner of the bumper and is about the size of a nickel and the other is on the right side mirror casing about the size of a dime.

do you recommend i go to the dealer for their options to touch it up or should i go to an independent to get those areas touched up?

also, can paint shops just fix these small areas or do they have to paint the entire component it's part of (mainly concerned about the bumper one because i don't want to repaint the entire bumper and have it look off from the rest of the paint). any advice or info is appreciated!

i'll put up pictures tonight

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
546 Posts
For something that small area, I would order matching spray paint + clear coat from automotivetouch-up.com and do it myself. It's not worth spending hundreds at a body shop.
And don't forget to watch youtube videos before attempting any such tasks

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The dealership will just sell you touch-up paint or tell you which body shop they use. It wouldn't hurt to find out which body shops they use/recommend to get an estimate for repair. It might be reasonable and they might warranty their work.

The most time consuming part of ceramic coating is the paint correction. The two areas will need to be repaired and cured before applying ceramic coating over them. You still have to do the same paint correction for PPF. PPF is more expensive; but, way more durable, last longer, provides UV protection, and requires less maintenance than ceramic coating. PPF can have ceramic coating properties along with self healing properties and spiderweb scratches close up just sitting in the sun. You have to buff out the same scratch with clear coat or ceramic coating.

Ceramic coating won't protect you against scratches or debris strikes like PPF. I have to use a foam cannon, two bucket wash, and only touch with mircrofiber to keep the ceramic coating scratch free (harder to do in winter).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This thread is over 4 years old and the OP has not been on the site for nearly a year. Pretty sure he made a decision and moved on.

Reactions: K657
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.