Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Tech/Entertainment that I dropped off for service. I asked for a 2018 MDX and was given that (tech) as a loaner. After having it for one day, I can say I am glad I did not pay $16k on top of my payments for a new base package.

Pros:
Lane keep assist
Apple Car Play
Fast screen response
Brake hold- this is a great feature, step on the brake a little harder at a red light and it will hold your car so you can stretch your foot

Cons:
TRANSMISSION!- The 9 speed is horrible compared to my 6 speed. When I step on the gas, it does take a second or two to decide which gear to downshift to. My 6 speed, the moment I step on the gas, it downshifts to the right gear and accelerates instantly. Sometimes on the 9 speed when I step on the gas the pause is annoying but when I start to accelerate it shifts 2 to 3 gears instantly, there's just too many gears and I assume this constant shifting will have more wear and tear on the gearbox.

No shifter, there is no place to rest my hand.

Not much else has changed

With that being said, would you spend 16k to give up your rear entertainment/tech for a base 2018 awd? Thoughts and opinions on the above mentioned? I'm considering getting a 2015 advance just for the lane keep assist.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Short answer: NO

Not even if it were a no cost swap.

I do like the LDW on my '14 Tech when I tow my camper. I would not want LKA in any vehicle.

If you are shopping, have you compared with the '18 Pilot? Still has the 6 speed except in the highest trim, and regular gas version of the J35 GDI engine.

The EXL with Honda Sensing is under $39K MSRP

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
would you spend 16k to give up your rear entertainment/tech for a base 2018 awd?
No way. Your vehicle is still practically new. You just rode down the steepest part of the depreciation curve and it still has a lot of life left in it. It makes no financial sense to change vehicles at this time to jump back to the top of the steep curve again. On top of that, the 2018 doesn't really have much to offer that you don't already have. Sure, there's a bit of additional tech in it fwiw but there'll likely be minor improvements in this area every year and it's not worth swapping out every year. I wouldn't pay $16K just to get the couple of nicer tech items. Picture yourself peeling off 160 $100 bills just to end up with those couple of tech items. No way.

If you don't care about towing the hybrid MDX is at least more 'different' than what you have now. It's still not worth an early switchout IMO.

It sounds as if you're reasonably satisfied with the vehicle you have. I say keep the $16K and continue to enjoy driving what you have.

Switching out vehicles frequently, especially expensive vehicles, is how a lot of people stay relatively broke or in debt.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Obviously this is a personal choice. I traded my 14 for a 17. My other car was a 12 it’s now a 16. You drove the 18. You didn’t like it. Problem solved. On one ever said buying cars often makes financial sense. That’s not why we do it.
By the way. The cruise control with low speed follow is cool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would if money was not the issue. Better looks (IMO) and I actually like some of the safety features. I dont use all of them but its very convenient on road trips. Since you dont like the 9 speed transmission then no point. I personally like it and I also got use to not having a shifter (missed it for a month but then liked having the space).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sixteen grand and you roll the loan over.

I had a 2015 Tech. I bought a 2017 hybrid Advance in December. I paid $9K cash and rolled the loan over with slightly lower payments than I had on the 2015.

You would love the difference. It drives and performs like a different car. It has a 7-speed tranny that is rock-solid, smooth and knows when to shift. It has a list of safety and parking features that won't quit. There are all sorts of subtle little improvements over the 2015, such as a better rear view mirror, a garage door opener that actually has sufficient range, an infotainment center that is less glitchy. There are all sorts of nice features that come with the Advance package, plus nicer trim. And while I don't pay much attention to style I have to say that the new one is more pleasing and up to date. And I am getting 28 mpg in my normal mix of big city driving!

If you tow, this model is not for you. If you don't, this MDX will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner, grin.

·
Registered
357 Posts
What about the infotainment/navi system, is still the same slow system we have in 14-17 MY or they finally went with Garmin based for 18 MY?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Obviously this is a personal choice...On one ever said buying cars often makes financial sense. That’s not why we do it.
Agreed but the OP asked for opinions so I provided mine. For a lot of people (most) the financial aspect is important and should be considered. If it wasn't then one may as well just get a new vehicle every year since there's almost always something added, often trivial, each year. So many people get themselves in a bind by continually trading their vehicles frequently such that they stay on the steepest part of the depreciation curve for little real feature/function gain in the newer model. Some people can readily afford to do this such that it doesn't impact them, i.e. they just pay cash and it has no significant consequence on their net worth, but others, many others, are leveraging themselves to buy the newer vehicle. Some even roll negative equity into the loan for the new vehicle and find themselves further and further behind. The 'average' car payment is around $500/month now - higher for more expensive vehicles. That's a significant amount of money to many people when the solution is very simple - quit spending more than you have for a vehicle and keep vehicles longer to reduce the total cost of ownership.

If finances aren't a concern then this buying another vehicle is just a question of whether one wants it or not - which appears to be at least part of the OP's question - i.e. if one would rather have the 2018 vs the 2015 albeit at the cost of an additional $16K. To me it's not worth it because the 2 vehicles are too similar and the 2015 isn't that high in mileage and should still feel like a fairly new vehicle. The hybrid would be more of a difference although at a higher cost.

What about the infotainment/navi system, is still the same slow system we have in 14-17 MY or they finally went with Garmin based for 18 MY?
It's different - it has Carplay/Auto.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
As far as I’m concerned. My opinion. Paying cash for a car makes no sense. If you can pay cash then you probably have money in stocks. Considering what the market has done and interest rates still being fairly low. There is much better use of that cash then putting it in into a depreciating asset.
Given the choice of investing 50k at 10% a year. Doable over the last 5 years. And financing a 5year loan at 4 % or so. It’s a no brainer for me.
That’s assuming you are responsible with your money. (Except for cars of course.)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
How different? Is it Pilot like or just a few added features to the existing slow 14-17 model? The one that we have in 16 is a retarded dinosaur compared to what's in the Pilot 16MY+.
The interface is different but faster (Acura claims 30%, but my limited use of it in the loaner didn't feel THAT much faster than a warmed up 2016 infotainment unit) and doesn't require you to put so much force on the screen to sense a touch. Ultimately, most of my gripes with the infotainment system are actually that some controls need to be the traditional knob, button, or rocker for the frequently used items that should be a matter of muscle memory rather than having to look at a screen and push the correct things. This iteration does not solve that for me, so the improvement is limited in total for me.

That being said, the integration still requires use of the big circle button/wheel controller for things like reporting waze incidents and such. I probably should have tested the stock navi as well, but didn't think to, as I was really mostly interested in testing Android Auto and Waze. There are some annoyances that people will not like, such as being limited to certain apps/functionality with Android Auto on.

Having two screens is helpful, as you can continue to control things (they would otherwise use physical switches, buttons, and knobs) that are always needed. One thing I found annoying though is that some of the buttons for the temp and fan speed (and some others) feel smaller. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I felt like I had to be more accurate about my presses, especially given the new sensitivity of the touch screen.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My opinion. Paying cash for a car makes no sense. If you can pay cash then you probably have money in stocks. Considering what the market has done and interest rates still being fairly low. There is much better use of that cash then putting it in into a depreciating asset.
I don't mean to hijack the thread into a financial thread - I just stated my opinion in the context of the OP's question where cost appears to be a factor.

I disagree with your perspective. The market is unpredictable and there's the variable of risk that many people ignore but regardless of your and my practices in this area you can probably agree that car purchases saddle 'many' people (probably not you) and get many people in over their heads in debt - especially those that roll negative equity into new car purchases and end up with payments they can barely afford and that impact their ability to invest for the future. Personally I'd never borrow money on my depreciating car, or my appreciating house, to invest in the stock market. Hopefully no posters on this forum fall into that category but some probably do. Plenty of people got caught up in that around 2008 much to their chagrin as they had their houses foreclosed upon and cars repo'd or found themselves without the budget to support their purchases. But again, you and I won't agree in this area and it's heading off-topic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I have read each reply and am not going to move forward on spending $16k and losing features of my tech/ent. for a base awd model. I am glad that most of you have talked some sense into me in regards to the depreciation curve because I lost a lot of money trading in a 14 MDX tech to the 15 mdx tech/ent package. I guess the I'm spoiled by the convenience of these features I had in a new 2017 CRV Touring. The reason I was contemplating on trading again for a 15' Advance or a 18' base awd was for the lane keep assist which is nice. The dealer told me (which is true), that I can hold off on a newer model such as the 19' or something but my car will also depreciate during that time so now would be the time to trade up. But I don't feel comfortable taking a $7k loss over what I paid for the car and +$16k on top of my existing loan for a ugly front end and a few new features. The inside looks almost identical.

As for the person who asked about the touch screen, it is much quicker than my 15'. It is very responsive and the layout is different. I didn't mess with the Navi but it still looks old/outdated. The apple car play is not as colorful and high contrast as I have seen in other vehicles which is smooth. If your screen is slow, I believe there was a TSB out for it to upgrade to the newest software (not navi maps).

I forgot to mention, I did test drive a 2018 Honda Pilot Elite.

Pros:
Panoramic Sunroof for the rear- This brightens up the interior and if you have kids this would be great
Car looks like it sits higher so it looks like a bigger vehicle and it would be easier to do oil/fluid changes on

Cons:

Unless you get the elite model, you don't get the blind spot indicators. You get the lame Honda lane watch which is a camera on the right mirror and if you use the turn signal, it comes up on your screen. It's lame because you have to use your turn signal for it to work and it's only on the right mirror for right turns only.

Quality- The steering wheel is not as thick, the leather on it feels cheaper and the interior is full of plastics. Overall you can tell the refinement is not there.

Transmission- I noticed the lack of acceleration due to the too many gears it has to shift through. Also when accelerating, the car shifts too much so the rpms are always low and the moment you give it more gas in traffic, it downshifts CONSTANTLY which is annoying and will probably contribute to more wear and tear. This is just like the 18' mdx.

Style- The style is not too bad but not as refined as a MDX. When I asked about someone's opinion who has no car knowledge, they said the MDX looks more classy which is true. The Elite model was approx. $44k while the base SH-AWD 18'' is also the same price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2014 Canadian Elite, so it has all the bells and whistles. The LKAS is not as smooth or as effective as the similar feature I tried in a GM Denali pickup. GM really seems to have their software nailed down.

You're truly (in my humble opinion) not missing anything by not having it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
[ LKAS ] You're truly (in my humble opinion) not missing anything by not having it.
Agree.

Car looks like it sits higher so it looks like a bigger vehicle and it would be easier to do oil/fluid changes on
Not true. Pilot is taller, but undercarriage and overall ground clearance are the same. The main difference is roof height.

Agree with other comments. But infotainment, especially NAV, is better in 3rd-gen 2016 Pilot Touring than 3rd-gen 2014 MDX Tech ( we have both ). I can't imagine getting another Acura with the dual screen infotainment interface. And I can't imagine getting another vehicle with the ZF 9-speed transmission. So I wait... :frown2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
. The dealer told me (which is true), that I can hold off on a newer model such as the 19' or something but my car will also depreciate during that time so now would be the time to trade up. But I don't feel comfortable taking a $7k loss over what I paid for the car and +$16k on top of my existing loan for a ugly front end and a few new features.

the in.
The salesman is playing you. But that’s what they do. Yes your car will depreciate. But less per year then it already has. Also,you wil have paid down more on your loan. If you were upside down on the loan,in a year you may even have equity. It almost always makes more sense to wait. Also,at the end of the year the discounts will be larger for the previous year model.
I don’t always follow my own advice.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The dealer told me (which is true), that I can hold off on a newer model such as the 19' or something but my car will also depreciate during that time so now would be the time to trade up.
A salesperson will always say something like that because they're trying to sell you a car. If you don't leave there in a different vehicle the salesperson doesn't make money. Don't believe anything that comes out of the salesperson's mouth at face value. They have only their own interest in mind - not yours.

While your vehicle is depreciating, so is the new vehicle but the new vehicle is depreciating at a much faster rate than your vehicle. This is why churning vehicles ends up costing a lot more than hanging onto a vehicle for a longer period of time before selling it and buying a new vehicle - it's all about the slope of the curves relative to each other. Even if you bought the 2018 I can pretty much guarantee the 2019, 2020, 2021 will have features/functions that'll be an improvement over the 2018 - probably including a whole new gen design (4th gen) somewhere in there. It's a rabbit you could chase endlessly and some people do - at a cost.

I'm quite content with my 2014 MDX - tech/shawd. I wouldn't mind having some features/functions in some of the more recent model years but it's not worth it to me to chase those trivial (in comparison to the rest of the vehicle) items. I'll likely wait until this one has at least 100K miles on it and the replacement vehicle being more significantly different than this one before I replace it. In the meantime, I'm happy with what I have.

·
Registered
622 Posts
We are born with a large bag in our hand that money falls into. Only God knows how much will go into it during our lifetime. But guaranteed, almost every other creature on this planet wants a piece of the money in that bag. If someone wants to give up some of theirs for a new 2018 MDX that is awesome. Personally I was only willing to spend for a low miles 2014 or 2015 MDX. Just don't know how much money is in my bag and God isn't telling me, beyond "trust me & faith." My friends tell me the 9 spd is still not a wise investment.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My vehicle progression was a '13 MDX AWD base to a '15 RDX AWD Tech - both with 6 speed autos. I found both to be pretty decent. When moving to my '17 MDX AWD Tech, it was my first experience in something with more than 6 speeds. The first week or so was "let's get used to this new thing, and not draw immediate judgement" (although it was not necessarily something I liked). After 3.5 months and 3K miles, I'll admit I'm pretty happy with it. Once you get used to what it does, it's not bad at all. You end up adjusting the way you drive to the way the MDX shifts, and it behaves pretty well once you get over that hump. My wife's '12 TL AWD has the 6 speed, and it does very well in her car. My son's '17 ILX has the 8 speed auto, and frankly that one is geared in a way that doesn't leave me happy after driving it - much different concept than the MDX. So from a transmission standpoint, I'm more than OK with the 9 speed.

But I will say that the concept of moving from an Acura w/Tech package to an Acura base model is something i almost did this time, but my wife knocked me up the side of the head and said I'd regret it if I did it (which is sort of why I moved from the '13 MDX base to the RDX w/tech). Cost was the thing driving me to an MDX base, and I ended up taking her advice and getting the '17 Tech and am certainly glad I did. You get a lot more moving from the base to the tech than you do moving from the tech to the Advance (IMHO) for a smaller amount of change.....

andy

·
Registered
41 Posts
We upgraded to a 15 Tech from an 08 Tech/Entertainment. We figured we don't need the Entertainment system anymore because the kids are bigger now and they all have iPads that they can do their things on if they need to.

The step up from the 08 to the 15 was pretty significant. From the 15 to the 18, not so much, I think. The technology progression is incremental, aside from the driver's assistance features which i am not fully convinced with yet. I did have the chance to try out the 18 when we took our 15 for a service, and though the driver's assistance package was interesting, I wouldn't trust it 100% with the way other drivers on the road drive.

There was a white 18 sport hybrid in the showroom when we had our car serviced, and overall I found the redesign pleasing to the eyes although I just can't get used to the new schnoz and i prefer the old grille. Acura really doesn't know what to do with their design language. I think their car designs are pretty ho-hum especially in this time of cutting edge designs. The MDX's design though is pretty pleasing ho-hum and for me has aged pretty well compared to some of the other designs out in the market today.

Having said all that I wouldn't trade in my 15 for an 18 especially with a redesign in the pipeline. The cost/benefit ratio is not worth the trade, especially if you're trading down to a lower trim level. I would rather just save the money and the payment until a new design comes along and at that time make a decision on whether I like the new design better than the current one and whether the technology upgrade is worth the trade. For a car company whose selling point is technology, I find Acura behind the curve compared to some other companies. Maybe they'll take a quantum leap with the next MDX. The decision to trade your current one in would probably be worth the wait.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts