Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2015 Acura MDX AWD. I am trying to do a DIY transmission fluid drain and fill. I can see a dip stick with a ring handle for filling the transmission fluid but where is the drain plug? Is the dip stick only way to refill? I would appreciate anyone that can show me where it is, a picture would be even better. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Those pics are from the SH-AWD Diff though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drain plug is located beneath the aluminum shim under the car, closer to driver side. You will want to remove that metal cover to locate the transmission drain plug. I took a picture of mine. The plug has 3/8 square socket head.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the post, it does not show where the transmission fluid drain plugs are. Are they under the MDX and opposite the engine oil drain plug?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is almost right under the transmission dip stick. It looks different from all other bolts that are just assembly bolts that hold transmission parts together. And it has a square nest head for using a 3/8 wrench on it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Exactly..
OP You cant go wrong or miss it, The Drain Plug has a 3/8 hole in it which means your 3/8 ratchet will plug in to it. "Dreamcar" already gave you a picture.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No, you do not need to refill the transmission through the dip stick tube, as there is a fill plug on the '15 models. Some people like to fill through the dip stick tube because the fill plug isn't the easiest thing to remove.

For as long as I can remember, I believe most of Honda's/Acura's transmissions mated with their V6's had a fill plug on top of the transmission case, located in front of the firewall and behind the battery and intake. There are probably a few exceptions, like the ones from 12 or so years ago that had an oil jet kit inserted in the fill hole as part of a recall, and the newer ZF9 transmissions. I don't have a picture of the one on my '15, but if I recall correctly it might even have the letters "ATF" on top of the fill bolt. There are a few hoses and wires around the area that may hide it a little, but it's there. The fill bolt head is a little bit on the larger side, 17mm I think.

Just a few words of advice: both the fill and drain plugs on Honda and Acura seem to be installed by a 700 lb. gorilla on the assembly line. Since this is probably the first time they'll be opened, be prepared for a little bit of a fight. A hot transmission and a long breaker bar or cheater pipe will be your friend when trying to break them loose.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
^ ah yes the bolt on top with a serial bar code nearby kind of straight down from the brake booster. Man i forgot about that. I think you can find a few pictures of it around the older 2g forum and odyssey forums too. Like others have said, test remove that bolt first using a breaker bar and a long extension before the drain bolt. But if you can't get it off in the end, that dip stick tube is your alt, albeit a very slow fill alt iirc.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for the helpful information. Dreamcar and Emmet thank you. I was able to find the transmission drain fluid and I am going to refill through the dipstick if I cannot figure out the filler bolt.

If I may ask another question. I looked at the Acura manual and it says for B123 service, I need to do "transmission and transfer fluid". It is not for all models, how do I know my model needs that changed and where is the "transfer fluid" drain and fill bolt. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you very much for all the replies.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thank you everyone for the helpful information. Dreamcar and Emmet thank you. I was able to find the transmission drain fluid and I am going to refill through the dipstick if I cannot figure out the filler bolt.

If I may ask another question. I looked at the Acura manual and it says for B123 service, I need to do "transmission and transfer fluid". It is not for all models, how do I know my model needs that changed and where is the "transfer fluid" drain and fill bolt. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you very much for all the replies.
Do you have a FWD or SH-AWD?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I have 2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD
Sorry about making you answer that again. I should really look back at the OP. Getting really careless in your thread lol :crying2:

Ok, SH-AWD, yes you will need to change the transfer case fluid (you might as well do your rear differential too if you haven't already).

Can't find a 3G pic online at the moment (as you can probably tell, this is not a very big DIY community), and this is the closest I can find to what our transfer case looks like, since Honda pretty much uses the same setup in all their AWD cars:

The drain bolt is on bottom and the fill bolt is the one on the side. IIRC, there is a crush washer. Oh, found another view from another old gen:

Fluid is Acura/Honda (or if you choose, another brand of your choice since the Honda/Acura stuff is dino oil I've heard) HGO-Type 1, which is your run of the mill GL5 75w-85 gear oil, about a half quart. Use of the transfer pump like you see in the pic is really helpful (recommend you get one for the rear diff and one for the transfer case. I also have one for the tranny fluid, but that has more to do with the ZF preferred fill bolt on the 16+ models.

Am I forgetting anything guys? lol oy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
neoshi - Thank you.

How do you differentiate between transmission fluid drain bolt to transfer fluid bolt. It seems they are all under the same general vicinity. Any visible or markers on the bolt? Where can I get the information? Any pictures out there. Thank you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I haven't gotten under my MDX yet, but generally the ATF drain bolt on Hondas/Acuras with an AWD setup is closer to the front of the vehicle. The transfer case is more towards the back of the transmission, close to where the driveshaft (or prop shaft) runs from there back to the rear differential.

Once you get yourself under the vehicle, it should be pretty straighforward. For the transfer case and rear differential fill and drain bolts, they require the 3/8" square head of a socket wrench (and sometimes a short extension) in order to remove and reinstall them. Like I mentioned earlier, I believe that the same gorilla at the Honda factory gets assigned the task of installing these bolts as well.

I'd also recommend to pick up the metal crush washers for at least the drain plugs from the dealership or online. I'd try get the ones for the fill plugs as well, but they don't seem quite as important; a few dealerships I've bought parts from said that the techs don't replace the fill plug washers, and they usually don't have them in stock either.

If you do end up changing the fluids, please snap a few pics for us and post them up to share with others here who may have the same questions and concerns as you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts