Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mechanic told me that my left shock absorber has failed and I need to replace both.
Acura dealer is a rip off. Hence I was looking out for an alternative.
1. Website to source oem?
2. Aftermarket alternative?
3. Will Honda shocks work? If so which model?

looking Forward to some insight.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dang. How many miles do you have on your car?

·
Registered
662 Posts
For what reason would you want to install the wrong part on your MDX?

The Pilot and MDX have different part numbers for the front shock absorber units, which indicates to me that they are not identical. I do not know what the differences are, but they could be different attachment points, different sizes, or even different damping rates - the latter will alter how the car behaves dynamically.
The MDX shocks are $30 USD more than that of the Pilot's. For such an insignificant amount of money, why take the risk?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I've purchased parts (not shocks) from oemacuraparts.com. They sell at a discount and are an actual Acura dealer with genuine Acura parts and were easy to order and the parts showed up a few days later.

I wouldn't fool with trying substitute a non-Acura part for the shock - part of the reason many of us bought the MDX was for the handling characteristics and changing to something else, even if something was available, could compromise that. If you buy another set of Acura shocks you probably won't need to buy them again for another 88K km by which time you might not even have the MDX anymore.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had my fronts replaced at 87k miles. No aftermarket available. Just checked Rock Auto for struts for late model Pilot/Ridgeline, not available as well.

OemAcuraParts.com has good price but you'll have to pay shipping cost. It's located in AZ, so if you find one somewhat close to you cheaper shipping cost. Strut assembly isn't available, so you'll have to buy the sticks and swap the springs from current ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what reason would you want to install the wrong part on your MDX?

The Pilot and MDX have different part numbers for the front shock absorber units, which indicates to me that they are not identical. I do not know what the differences are, but they could be different attachment points, different sizes, or even different damping rates - the latter will alter how the car behaves dynamically.
The MDX shocks are $30 USD more than that of the Pilot's. For such an insignificant amount of money, why take the risk?
I live in kuwait. The difference between the parts here is very significant 400 usd for honda 880 usd for acura.
Hence my reason to look around for an alternative

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.