Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4C59lHXD1ZPRVVYOW1qMExOYVk

So this has happened to my vehicle before, at least on three separate occasions. I know similar stuff has happened to some others here as well with no cure. This 'problem' has always disappeared itself within a few hours. Taking it to a Dealership has yielded zero results, as the issue was self-fixed by the time the car got there and naturally my videos / photos ain't proof enough.

Anyhow, this time the Christmas tree isn't going away and my car isn't starting. :frown2:

...will be towing it to a dealer far away on Monday that I like more than the ones nearby .... but any feedback / suggestions / advice in meanwhile? Really needed the car this weekend - what a continuous turn off Acura ownership has been !

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess the only bright side is that they can't say they can't reproduce the error. Hopefully they have some answers for you and the issue finally gets fixed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you really want to use the vehicle this weekend, have you tried disconnecting the battery, waiting 5 minutes, then reconnecting it to see if the issue disappears? Note that this will also likely erase any error codes so you might not want to do this but it's something to try if you want. I don't know that it'll fix it and have never had this problem myself in the 4 years I've had my 2014.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the only bright side is that they can't say they can't reproduce the error. Hopefully they have some answers for you and the issue finally gets fixed.
If you really want to use the vehicle this weekend, have you tried disconnecting the battery, waiting 5 minutes, then reconnecting it to see if the issue disappears? Note that this will also likely erase any error codes so you might not want to do this but it's something to try if you want. I don't know that it'll fix it and have never had this problem myself in the 4 years I've had my 2014.
Well, low-and-behold, the car powered up couple of hours ago and as always, the warnings are gone and it's as if nothing ever happened.

Now I can drive it to the dealer on Monday and have them diagnose only to say there's nothing wrong...or save myself the headache all the while continue to worry when this may happen again.

LoL. Sucks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's too bad. Not that it started up, but that the dealer won't be able to see what's happening.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I never understand why these errors must be seen happening rather than just reading stored codes. Or is our mdx so poorly designed that errors aren't logged?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree that Acura never seems to be able to do anything if they don't see the alerts. You'd think they'd be stored somewhere.

There was a similar issue on a few TLXs on another forum and it was battery related. Not sure if this is the same thing or related.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that Acura never seems to be able to do anything if they don't see the alerts. You'd think they'd be stored somewhere.

There was a similar issue on a few TLXs on another forum and it was battery related. Not sure if this is the same thing or related.
Apparently they are stored (as per a tech) but it's raw-data and 'no good' to them to decipher the problem. All nonsensical stuff, really.

Would you have a link you can point me to about the TLX issue? Wouldn't mind reading up on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Apparently they are stored (as per a tech) but it's raw-data and 'no good' to them to decipher the problem. All nonsensical stuff, really.

Would you have a link you can point me to about the TLX issue? Wouldn't mind reading up on it. Thanks.
If you do a Google search for "TLX battery issue", you'll get a few hits that should show what I was referring to.

Reactions: CodeAdam10

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does advance or autozone still loan scanners? I have my own so I am unsure if they still do. Might be worth making a run to just pull any generic codes it may have thrown.

Could a bad ground cause this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many of the early-production Gen-2 Honda Ridgelines had a similar issue. It turned out to be water getting into a wiring harness connector, for which there is now a recall/TSB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys.

On my drive to the dealer two days ago for some fluids change (transmission, case, RDF, engine oil) my 'Emissions System Problem' light came on. Haha. Perfect time, right!? Well they checked everything and found 'nothing wrong'. They cleaned the throttle plates for me as a courtesy and reset the light. Well, 3 hours later the light came back on and it's been on for the last 2 days. The car is driving perfectly normal. I did add some Techron to my tank earlier today just to see if it may help. I'm so sick of these behavior issues with my MDX! Is there any way for me to reset the light myself without going back to the dealer? I know what their answer will be ... nothing's wrong ... Acura techs sadly don't seem to know anything unless they have a TSB in front of them or a known error code. Wondering what could be causing this warning or the car is just simply misbehaving as always.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You could connect an OBD II scanner to the vehicle and see which specific codes are set, which might point to a faulty sensor. If you don't have one you can go to a place like Autozone and they'll likely check it for you for free.

Also, sometimes not putting the gas cap back on correctly and tightly can cause an indication like this.

The problem here though isn't the light coming on - it's what's 'causing' the light to come on.

I don't think adding some fluid to your tank will have any effect on something like this - and generally none of those additives are worth buying and using in the first place - i.e. they're not needed and are just a waste of money and effort.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The auto parts stores usually scan your car for free. I went so far as to buy a scanner. It is a bluetooth dongle that was less than $15 and software on my tablet or phone called "Torque".

You can make a list of the stored codes and present them to the dealer. You can also reset the CEL yourself.

It is my understanding that cars have short term memory for codes that reset with the battery disconnect. There is also a long term memory that has to be reset with a scanner like I bought. The long term memory is there to show a technician a problem that has come and gone so you don't need to repeat the problem b/c they can see the code.

You can Google the codes and get detail about what ever the car's computer is complaining about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much mdxstang and Joe Average ... do you have recommendation for which OBD II to buy?

Yesterday the ESP light went off but came back on half an hour later LoL.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
These scanners are readily available at Autozone, O'Reilly, Amazon, etc. The one I have is an inexpensive ($60) self-contained unit something like this one -

Innova OBD2 tool with emission readiness monitors 3020 - Read 2 Reviews on Innova #3020

Note that I've not used it on the MDX though. In the 4 years I've had it the MDX hasn't set the check engine light.

Remember that you can always just go to an Autozone and ask them to read the codes.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I would bet a few bucks its the battery or ground cable...
You would be amazed what a bad battery ground connection can make to Honda/Acuras.. One time I had an issue with my TL-S ground cables and my tach and speedo would bounce off every minute while driving then the car would not start since there wasn´t any ground to the starter.. I manually started the car (Jump started it directly to the Starter armature) went home replaced the ground cables and the car was like new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would bet a few bucks its the battery or ground cable...
You would be amazed what a bad battery ground connection can make to Honda/Acuras.. One time I had an issue with my TL-S ground cables and my tach and speedo would bounce off every minute while driving then the car would not start since there wasn´t any ground to the starter.. I manually started the car (Jump started it directly to the Starter armature) went home replaced the ground cables and the car was like new.
You know ... all these issues with my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree randomly / car not starting and now this ... it all started happening soon after I had my first dead battery replaced by an Acura dealer last spring (under warranty, at the time.)

I have always wondered if the battery or connectors have something to do with my problems. I know this is simple stuff for most of you, but not for me, so pardon me for my simple questions:

- Would any mechanic shop / autozone be able to replace my ground cables? Or is the ground cable vehicle-specific and something I need to order in advance? I would love to try this and see if it helps.

- Also, there are 2 ground cables right? Should I get both of them replaced and also ask them to clean my battery terminals?

- Any idea of what I should expect to pay?

Will appreciate you guys feedback. I'm a dummy when it comes to cars but I'm learning slowly. I even change my own filters now ... for me that's a big deal! :p

These scanners are readily available at Autozone, O'Reilly, Amazon, etc. The one I have is an inexpensive ($60) self-contained unit something like this one -

Innova OBD2 tool with emission readiness monitors 3020 - Read 2 Reviews on Innova #3020

Note that I've not used it on the MDX though. In the 4 years I've had it the MDX hasn't set the check engine light.

Remember that you can always just go to an Autozone and ask them to read the codes.
Thanks. Maybe I can go to Autozone and have them check the codes and reset it (will they reset it?), and perhaps have them replace the ground cables if that's a good place to get this kind of work done?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Autozone's not a mechanic shop, they're a parts seller, so they likely wouldn't replace the ground cable but it's highly unlikely the ground cable needs to be replaced since it's not something that would wear out or 'go bad' unless it was damaged somehow. What's more likely in that area would be if the dealer didn't connect one of the battery cables correctly. It doesn't matter if it's the ground or the positive - either one not connected securely would have an identical effect.

If it was my MDX I'd simply check the cables myself to make sure they're installed correctly and securely - not a difficult thing to do. If you don't want to do that then I suggest you take it back to the dealership and have them inspect the cables. Tell them this problem started just after they replaced a defective battery and you want to make sure the battery was installed correctly and the cables are secure. They might have simply neglected to tighten one of them securely. OTOH, it might not be the cables at all and they might find something else. Simply telling you to ignore this is an unacceptable answer. If nothing else, take it to a different dealership where they might have more competent mechanics.

Note - If you're not comfortable messing around with the battery cables then don't do it yourself since if you accidentally connect a wrench between positive and any ground (any metal part of the engine or frame), sparks will fly. If you do want to mess with it, always disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last to avoid an accidental positive to ground wrench short.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everyone / mdxstang...

I stopped by a local shop and they pulled up the codes for me ... P2096 and P0420 ... I googled them but I don't know if the vehicle was displaying a different code at the dealership last week or they did check for issues with the catalytic converter but didn't see anything of concern so they reset it. Hmm...

Any ideas / suggestions on what I should do from here? I did have the shop reset the codes so let's see how long before it's back on (hopefully never!)

Thanks for your help all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts