Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to adjust the tension on the parking brake for a 2015 MDX? I park on a hill and even with the parking brake foot pedal pressed all the way down, my car still creeps.. I've spent quite some time upside down with 2 pairs of reading glasses on trying to see an adjuster nut or screw on/near the brake lever, to no avail. I'm suspecting it is somewhere else..

·
Registered
268 Posts
On the MDX, the parking brake is like a drum design that's contained within the inner portion of the rear brake discs. There's an adjustment wheel in there. When you remove the wheel, you can see a black rubber plug that covers the adjustment wheel. To adjust the parking brake, you have to take out the plug and turn that adjustment wheel up or down with a flathead screwdriver.

I think I've adjusted a parking brake with this design only once, so I don't remember the exact steps. I believe you're supposed to tighten it just until the rotor doesn't rotate, and then back off a few clicks (which I cannot recall the number).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think I've adjusted a parking brake with this design only once, so I don't remember the exact steps. I believe you're supposed to tighten it just until the rotor doesn't rotate, and then back off a few clicks (which I cannot recall the number).
That is correct.

More detail than OP probably needs:

Reactions: flowerspower

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Emmet and p07r0457.
I thought there was an adjuster nut somewhere on the cable where it splits to 2 cables that travel to each of the rear wheels? That way, only one adjustment would need to be made for both wheels. It would just be a question of knowing where this point is, under which section of carpet? There is a part, on the parking brake line (#11) called "nut, adjust", but it is not clear how far it is away from the brake lever, once installed...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some further searching and found the adjuster under the carpet below the driver seat. Taking the front seat off wasn't too hard, just 4 bolts, then just leaned the seat to the rear. Then snapped off some plastic covers so I could peel the carpet up and voila, the cable adjuster. After tightening the single nut on the center bolt (see attached photo), both drums in the rear wheels are tensioned equally, and the foot parking brake is working as it should now.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No issue at all with any air bag. This is what I did:
Snap off the plastic bolt covers at the 4 base attachment points of the seat. Then, un bolt the seat. All the electronics are neatly combined by one cable at the center below the seat but there is enough slack to just lean the seat to the back (you don't even have to lift it up, just lean it back).
The next part, I think you might have openings in the carpet under the seat but I could be wrong, as I had already pulled up the carpet from the foot pedals at this point. You might be able to just access the adjuster through the carpet from here. It might be worth just cutting a little opening.. But, if there is no access here (I already covered it all up), you can do the following to get the carpet up:
Pop 2 plastic covers off on the L, one that surrounds the hood release lever and the other along the L floor along the bottom of the door opening. There is one more panel to the R of the foot pedal area that snaps off, allowing the carpet to be pulled up, starting at the pedals and peel it back and up toward the back of the car. There were 2 spots of the carpet that were fused on the L that I just either broke loose or peeled around the grommets. It doesn't really matter because you can just put them exactly in the same place and they are covered by plastic panels anyway.
When you get the carpet up, you can see where the cable goes, then follow it to the adjuster about center of where the driver seat was. You'll have to bend up a couple of plastic air vents on the floor to get to it, but they are bendable and ready to be repositioned to get to the mechanism.
I tightened the nut a few turns and tested the foot parking brake with my hand until it felt like it was holding tight after 6 clicks.
GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wouldn’t this be covered under warranty?
I wouldn’t think so. Properly used, parking brakes should never actually require adjustment. Most likely this parking brake was abused.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn’t think so. Properly used, parking brakes should never actually require adjustment. Most likely this parking brake was abused.
Nope, not abused. It never really worked on my inclined driveway.
I'm out of the warranty (Basic: 4yr/50Kmi), but this was easy to fix myself anyway.:smile2:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
flowerspower - thanks for posting this detail - it'll come in handy if I ever have an issue with the parking brake on mine. I haven't had an issue with it yet though - 2014 MDX, 5 years old, 53K miles, original brakes still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts