Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Mobil 1 EP or K&N HP cant go wrong with either for full year protection using Synthetic..
If you are planning on MID changes then use any filter.

EDIT: Just realized you said Wrench.. Nevermind my post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I purchased the Genuine Honda Filter Wrench from handa.com. It was a little pricey at $25.00 but works exceptionally well. You can use it either with a ratchet or it has a hex head so you can use a socket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased the Genuine Honda Filter Wrench from handa.com. It was a little pricey at $25.00 but works exceptionally well. You can use it either with a ratchet or it has a hex head so you can use a socket.
Can you tell me the part #? Thanks. I don't mind paying the asking price for this but can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Tbh, these days i just use a Pennzoil adjustable rubber strap wrench. The rubber sticks well to filters. Hasn't let me down in years and works on all my cars. Just an idea since i found myself with a few different wrenches over the years that became useless after the cars are gone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I just use my hands.. No need for tools when you properly hand tight it. I have one of those universal tools collecting dust in my garage, have not use it for around 10 years or so in my cars? only need I have is when I do a friend car that has been tighten to hell.

My rule of thumb is; If you need a tool to undo the Engine Oil filter? you are tighten it too much.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I just use my hands.. No need for tools when you properly hand tight it. I have one of those universal tools collecting dust in my garage, have not use it for around 10 years or so in my cars? only need I have is when I do a friend car that has been tighten to hell.

My rule of thumb is; If you need a tool to undo the Engine Oil filter? you are tighten it too much.
Funny enough I always told myself the same and I hand tighten only, but it's always tighter when trying to take it off (at least too tight to loosen by hand). Hence, one day I had to go get the strap wrench and now just always use it to loosen the wrench each time.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Do you soak with oil the O-Ring before installing? I got also into that situation but then I started to lubricate the O-Ring in the filter and now it doesn´t get stuck.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Perhaps its just a tad too tight? Its not like mine comes out in a breeze without some muscle either but I never need the tool to remove it just have to put some effort into it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No need for tools when you properly hand tight it.
The first time I removed the oil filter from the MDX it actually took a whole lot of effort - the factory tightened it down a lot. Since I removed the filter that time from underneath I used a cap type oil filter wrench to remove it - there was no way to use a strap or pliers type wrench from that position - however - I now remove and install the oil filter from the right wheel well, which is easier, and other types of wrenches can be used.

Even though I hand tighten the oil filter when installing it, I usually need to use a wrench to get it loose so I can take it off - nothing like the first factory removal but they can still need an assist to get it started. This need for a wrench to loosen a hand tightened filter varies with the type of vehicle but with the MDX I think I needed a wrench IIRC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts