Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did my first oil change today on my 2015 MDX Advance shawd. I bought it as a certified car last October and just now got enough miles on it to hit the 10% mark on the oil. I read several of the posts on here so I was prepared and it went pretty smooth. The only issue I had was removing the old oil filter...WHAT A MESS! I don't care how you do it it is still a mess. I opted for the plastic bag over the filter trick and that worked very well however I was not prepared for a plastic bag full of oil and oil filter above my head. I carefully maneuvered the bag out and down managing to only spill a little oil. Next time I'll be a bit more prepared for this portion of the operation. I'll use a larger/longer plastic bag and that should do the trick. I'll also invest a more suitable funnel for adding the fresh oil. Its a very tight fit and my regular funnels were just too large.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Joebucko:

I don't know if you saw it but I started a thread a long time ago regarding changing the oil -
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/79154-self-done-oil-change-some-tips.html

I ran into the oil mess you described as well and that's when I ended up getting a form-a-funnel. I've now used that in subsequent changes and it's worked out very well and the oil can be changed without spilling a drop. I think I used the same size one 'neoshi' indicated.

The other thing to consider - consider changing the oil filter from the right wheel well with the wheel off - the oil filter is right there fairly in the open from that access point.

As I indicated in the other thread - oil change time is a good interval for tire rotation as well. This makes it more likely you'll have the from right wheel off anyway and you can both change the oil and then go ahead and rotate the tires while you're at it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips mdxstang. I'll get the form-a-funnel. it will make things a whole lot simpler.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree, whoever designed that filter location and the filter itself needs to have his/her hands chopped off. They couldn't find a worst location. For instance my VWs have filters on top and they don't leak a drop of oil when you take them off. Honda take notice.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Is the filter located in any other way different than the past 20 years of Honda V6 Filter location?
My TL-S and my MDX both have holes in the subframe that goes directly below the oil filter for drainage purpose, so honda did thought about it but could do very little to fix it.. I have no problems with spill in either car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
well, this is one crappy design and in 20 years they haven't done a damn thing to improve it. hated every minute of it except the part where I pumped the oil trough the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
With enough experience you can change the oil with ZERO spill or Mess.
The trick is to SLOWLY unbolt the filter so excess oil can leak to the base of the filter and create a steady stream directly to the oil catch pan. Once enough oil has spilled and it started to drip you can use a shop rag and absorb the excess oil from the sides and completely remove it.

My tools for the job are:
- Oil Pan
- Shop Rags
- Disposable Gloves
- Drain Bolt Socket and Ratch
- No tools needed for the Oil Filter If I have worked on the car before (Hand Tight)
If the car has been serviced by the dealer then use an Oil Filter Wrench because that thing is over tighten as hell.
- Specific to the MDX: Funnel, because the engine sits too low into the engine bay and there is hardly any room to maneuver the Oil Quart on top of the Oil Hole by hand.

It is a hassle if you compare it with some other cars but in no way its an impossible task...
The first oil change I ever did to my MDX? Not a single drop to the sub frame.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, the filter was so over tightened that I had a hard time removing it with a filter tool. I have several different ones but the only one I was able to use was a band oil wrench and even that thing was slipping. For everything else there in not enough clearance. I was ready to drive a screw driver trough the filter, I was that pissed until I wrapped a rag around the filer and was finally able to remove it while making a mess all over the subframe and cursing an engineer who designed it.

I didn't say the task was impossible but so inconvenient. This isn't 60's when they were building cars first then thinking things trough, we're in 21st century for God's sake and Honda could've learned a few things already. Again, look at the German cars for instance, I can do my oil change in a suit and tie without ever touching a ground or breaking a sweat. In fact I've done it a few times believe it or not, and if you have a pair of disposable gloves you don't even need to wash your hands afterwords it's that easy.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I know the germans, My Wife has a Bimmer so I know very much the joys of having the oil filter on top of the engine. But also the despair and anger of ATF Changes... Honda got the upper Hand on those (Except the Euro ZF of course).

But Honda transverse layout make it very hard to relocate the filter assembly without a complete redesign of the J Series... That will be HIGHLY Inconvenient for Honda just to make the Oil Changes easier on the V6. Honda might be thinking if you don't like it, take it to the dealership and make them do all the mess and cleaning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts