Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Navigation system map display started continuously spinning about one month ago. It doesn’t matter whether a destination is entered or not, the map rotates constantly, even when the car is stopped. Any ideas on how to resolve?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My Navigation system map display started continuously spinning about one month ago. It doesn’t matter whether a destination is entered or not, the map rotates constantly, even when the car is stopped. Any ideas on how to resolve?
Unless you are still under warranty,just switch to a different screen. It’s almost useless anyway.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How do you conclude the NAV system is useless?

Mine has worked very well and without flaw.
You have a 2020. It's a different head unit and OS. Totally different animal in terms of usefulness. 2014-2017s have a crap system.

OP, It's hard to say if this is a software issue, or perhaps you might even have a malfunctioning GPS antenna. Never really seen this problem reported before.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
How do you conclude the NAV system is useless?

Mine has worked very well and without flaw.
I said ALMOST useless. The maps are old. Even if you update,the maps will still be old. The voice commands to do a POI is ridiculous. Occasionally it loses its way. That’s really helpful. In 4 years of owning a 14. Then 2 years in a 17,it has never rerouted because of traffic. Even though it is supposed to have that feature. I knew it was bad before we got my Bmw. With the BMW now. The MDX Nav seems like its from a different century.
When we take trips,I put a garmin on the dash.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I said ALMOST useless. The maps are old. Even if you update,the maps will still be old. The voice commands to do a POI is ridiculous. Occasionally it loses its way. That’s really helpful. In 4 years of owning a 14. Then 2 years in a 17,it has never rerouted because of traffic. Even though it is supposed to have that feature. I knew it was bad before we got my Bmw. With the BMW now. The MDX Nav seems like its from a different century.
When we take trips,I put a garmin on the dash.
I have used voice command in Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and multiple Ford trucks and none work well for me and I no longer even try.

Only thing I use my phone for is to send destinations to my MDX.

·
Registered
673 Posts
does the compass spin too or just the screen? That might be a clue what is going on.

Also there are two modes on the NAV, one is N is up and the other follows the direction of the car. If you can't stop it you might just put N up and see if that will help you work around the problem since it is likely out of warranty. I don't know if the extended warranty covers that kind of issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses from those trying to help. It’s really sad that a vehicle manufactured by Acura hasn’t been able to get a good navigation system for what sounds like quite so,e time.
To answer you question, the car symbol continuously spins with the N up setting...the entire screen/map spins if not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pull the fuse, not sure if it has residual power so give at least 1/2 hour and reinstall. Don't know if it will help but it's easy and cheap.

You could also disconnect the battery, both cables, let it sit over night and then touch the cables together before reconnecting to the battery.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Try resetting your gps. Discount the battery let it sit for 10 minutes and connect again.

Start the car and the gps will calibrate. If it still happens you probably have some issue not worth fixing.

I never use the GPS like we never use the DVD player. Two entirely useless features today. I couldn’t even believe my 2015 had a DVD player. It wasn’t even blue ray. Who has DVD’s anymore?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Try resetting your gps. Discount the battery let it sit for 10 minutes and connect again.

Start the car and the gps will calibrate. If it still happens you probably have some issue not worth fixing.

I never use the GPS like we never use the DVD player. Two entirely useless features today. I couldn’t even believe my 2015 had a DVD player. It wasn’t even blue ray. Who has DVD’s anymore?
we use the CD player to load them into the Hard Drive - it is a great feature especially when out in the boonies where there is no cell reception. XM-Sirius sucks these days for us. I believe that the DVD player to watch movies was only on the Advance with Entertainment, and you had to choose that option and pay for it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
In the dash thru the steering wheel is the display that has mileage on it. One of the screens is a compass and street location. Does it spin too?

I would make a guess it is a gyro problem. I Googled it but could find nothing on where the gyro is, or if it is replaceable. You might call your service writer at your dealer and ask him to investigate what a repair might involve. There was an article that said things magnetic on the roof rack near the antenna could interfere with the NAV unit. That said 2017 units had a weird wandering problem with NAV.

·
Registered
542 Posts
we use the CD player to load them into the Hard Drive - it is a great feature especially when out in the boonies where there is no cell reception. XM-Sirius sucks these days for us. I believe that the DVD player to watch movies was only on the Advance with Entertainment, and you had to choose that option and pay for it.
CD like a music CD? Or are you loading movies?

When reception is limited I tell my kids to count the cows and anyone who confirms a fox sighting gets $5.

I haven’t turned on the navigation screen in 3 years. It’s waze or google maps. I know when I am going into boonies I preload the destination in google maps which caches it. In a pinch I’ll connect to a WiFi to get the destination loaded to cache it. I haven’t had an issue but it is good to know I can almost use the car nag if needed but I have t neeeded it.

Funny thing - the map upgrade marketing mail listed “no cell reception” as the #1 reason to pay to upgrade the map.

I remember using mapquest print outs. How caveman like.

·
Registered
673 Posts
we are in california - you get caught looking at your cell phone and it will be a ticket. The 2015 doesn't mirror so you can't mirror your phone on the screen.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just for L👀KING? I understand touching but I can’t see looking at your GPS app?

You can just get some adapter to clip it to your vent next to the steering wheel. That’s what I do.

·
Registered
673 Posts
touching / holding. My eyes can't focus on small letters and maps anymore. The NAV screen works perfect for me other than I can't easily see the traffic on the freeway lines during the day.

·
Registered
399 Posts
touching / holding. My eyes can't focus on small letters and maps anymore. The NAV screen works perfect for me other than I can't easily see the traffic on the freeway lines during the day.
I am totally agreed with you, I really hate that tiny hairline shows traffic in the map

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
In Virginia, if teen, you are prohibit to use cell phone even as GPS device. Only time allows when it is emergency and car is lawfully parked / stopped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts