Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

First time poster as I just picked up a 2015 MDX last weekend. Extremely pleased so far, but am concerned as to what to do with my dog. The seats are much to nice to have her loose in the car, so I'd like to find some way to keep her in the back of the vehicle.

I've seen some posts here about a separation net that used to exist, but doesn't appear to be made for the newer MDX's. I also saw a link to autoanything as well, but the barrier they are selling is garbage for a larger dog. I had that same metal barrier in my old 4Runner, and my dog knocked it over and then helped herself to the back seat in about 30 seconds. Not to mention the indentations it left in my headliner.........

This barrier looks more flimsy, but at least doesn't dig into your headliner.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apologies, for whatever reason the forum wouldn't let me post links or pics b/c I don't have enough posts.........which is not helpful.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had ( have ) one of those mesh barriers for a 1st-gen MDX, but I bet the side curtain airbags on newer models preclude the side panel attachments that used. FWIW most of the "leather" in these vehicles is synthetic except for what your back or backside are in contact with ( because that's what would feel clammy ).

If the dog likes the back seat, a blanket may be the solution. Or compromise with the 3rd-row seats? Unfortunately, large plastic dog crates don't seem to clear the sloping hatch glass with the second row seats up, but you might be able to find a soft sided crate that would fit. Or if you can fold down the "2/3" side of the second row seats, a large plastic crate might fit, depending on just how big Cujo really is.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I drove coast to coast and back a couple of times with my 80 pound Boxer in the way back. For a road trip I wanted him somewhat secured so I put a harness on him, a regular one some people use for walking a dog although I didn't use it for walking purposes, and then clipped him into the vehicle with a fairly short lead and latch at both ends - to one of the tie down points in the back. He could still stand up and turn around a bunch of times and lay back down, etc. and move within the back area but couldn't get into the second row.

The advantage is that it's safer for the dog for sudden stops, safer for the dog to stop them from jumping out of the car when they shouldn't and possibly getting hit by a car, yet also stops them from jumping into the other areas of the car, which are also unsafe and can damage the other areas.

He was perfectly happy with this arrangement for thousands of miles of travel.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
BTW Acura does sell fitted accessory 2nd row seat covers, but they aren't cheap.
I don't have them and didn't need them because I kept my dog in the way back but I think I remember a thread on here from a long time ago regarding the seat covers staining the actual seat surface. IIRC Acura replaced the stained actual seats and there was a recall on the covers. Acura must have fixed that issue a long time ago by now and I don't recall any recent posts on that issue but you might want to research that thread just for the knowledge of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a dog hammock in my 2015 MDX. It works great and is easy to put in and take out. My back seat looks brand new and I take my Siberian Husky with me almost every day. There are several out there. Just type " Dog hammock for car back seat" in amazon and you will see several choices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts