Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got a 2015 MDX 3 months ago, I brought it to the dealer to replace all kind of fluid, it's pretty good I met some cool service advisers in the dealer when I told them I want to change tranny fluid, they go for the service bulletin, so I got a free tranny flush(change fluid 3 times instead), and they also replace a new torque converter for me under warranty, but still have the following problems,

1, When decelerating, the car will have a kickback feeling at 35mph and 20mph, I only have this feeling at these 2 points, the rest is smooth, I tried not stepping on the brake, just let go of gas at 40mph, it still happened.

2, When accelerating from a complete stop or less than 4mph in traffic, the car jumps forward as I let go of the gas pedal, but it is totally fine if I am only pressing the gas very very lightly.

3, When the car is accelerating from 50mph to above, the RPM is kind of weird, if I am slowly pressing the gas, the RPM stays there, but the MPH will go up, if I am normally pressing the gas, the RPM will suddenly go up 1k or MORE, the RPM is acting the same when I press hard on the gas pedal, the RPM won't go linear after 50mph.

As per my service advisor, the second and third issue should go away after they replaced the torque converter, but I took a road trip before and after they replace the torque converter, it is still the same, so he advised me to brought it back to the dealer, he said he might need to replace the tranny, my car has been sitting in the dealer for almost 3 weeks, but the adviser said they are still waiting for the warranty company to respond, sign:frown2::frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would actually agree with the SA and say just wait for the response. It does indeed sound like you might need a new transmission. Welcome to the Honda world, where transmissions die young. Is this a third party warranty company?

·
Registered
713 Posts
did you in the process of testing yours get an opportunity to drive another 2015 to see if it did the same thing? Also what mode were you in?

·
Registered
962 Posts
1. In colder weather it is normal to have harsher shifts. Maybe that's what you are feeling.

2. As mentioned above, try driving in all 3 IDS modes and see if your symptoms lessen.

3. Your description sounds like fairly normal operation based on my 45K miles experience with my 2014. Some people are more sensitive to various operations of different transmissions.

4. You may also be feeling the operation of the VCM system, which can make operation weird at times.

5. If you can find an employee in sales, service, or parts at the dealership who has driven a 2014 or 2015 regularly, maybe they would be willing to drive your MDX for a day or two and give you an opinion as to how they feel about the operation.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would actually agree with the SA and say just wait for the response. It does indeed sound like you might need a new transmission. Welcome to the Honda world, where transmissions die young. Is this a third party warranty company?
It is the OEM warranty, SA told me he submit all the possible cause to Acura, waiting for them to reply.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. In colder weather it is normal to have harsher shifts. Maybe that's what you are feeling.

2. As mentioned above, try driving in all 3 IDS modes and see if your symptoms lessen.

3. Your description sounds like fairly normal operation based on my 45K miles experience with my 2014. Some people are more sensitive to various operations of different transmissions.

4. You may also be feeling the operation of the VCM system, which can make operation weird at times.

5. If you can find an employee in sales, service, or parts at the dealership who has driven a 2014 or 2015 regularly, maybe they would be willing to drive your MDX for a day or two and give you an opinion as to how they feel about the operation.
Hi, I tried all 3 IDS modes in my both road trip, the RPM is acting the same in Comfort mode and normal mode. For the jerky feeling in the stop and go traffic, I tried to convince myself that I might actually release the gas at the point of gear switching, that cause the jump forward, so I tried in all 3 modes, same, the IDS is supposed to change the shift point. I am pretty sure the mechanic knows the car better than me, so I just told the SA my experiences, and let them test drive to see if it is normal or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts