Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a barely used 2015 MDX SH-AWD with Tech package. Love it so far for many reasons, but have a few complaints/questions that I wanted to ask those that have owned these for longer then I have.

1) Preset seat/mirror settings: My wife is shorter then I am, but also drives this vehicle the most, so she is setting 1. When I get in, I have to set it to my setting (setting 2) before I can get in or else it is a tight fit trying to sit in my wife's setting. However, the first time I stop and get out, and then go to get back in again, it first moves everything back to setting 1 as soon as I open the door. Then I have to stand there and press my setting again before I can get in - everytime. This is incredibly annoying. I have owned cars in the past that seem to understand to stay on the last selected seat setting until another one is selected. So is this normal operation, and if so - WTF. Is there a way to override it wanting to always revert back to setting 1 every time the door is opened?

2) Display screen brightness at night: I have also owned cars with navigation/info screens that can auto detect when it is getting dark and dim themselves. This MDX appears to require the user to manually dim the display by pressing the button that has a moon or something on it. Again, WTF. Everytime you go to drive at night, you have to manually set that? Is there a display setting somewhere I am missing that does this automatically?

3) Driver Mirror Edge: The driver side mirror has a line on the far left side of the mirror. Everything to the left of that line is basically unusable mirror - i.e. it just blurs images. Was this some half-assed attempt to make the edge of the mirror convex so that you can see more area in your blind spot? If so, it is a huge fail. The visibility in that part of the mirror is really just terrible and unusable. What's the deal with that.

That's all I have for now. Just trying to understand some of the things that seem to be different or annoying compared to previous vehicles I have owned. Thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some of those driver 1 vs driver 2 settings issues should be available to set in the 'vehicle' settings or 'system' settings. On ours, we select 'easy exit' which also moves the seat way back when we turn off the engine. Then when we get in and start, the seat moves up to either driver 1 or 2. Can you download the whole owners manual and whole navi manual? There should be some answers there. Good luck

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The mirror/seat setting are tied to the key FOB. If you are using the driver 2 FOB, it should move into your settings. Yes there is a setting to have the lighting auto adjust. Read the online manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I tried the key FOB thing (found the second FOB that said driver 2 on the back), and that seems to work, though I think that is a stupid way of doing it. I guess I will learn to live with it though. I'd prefer to just have one set of keys/FOB for the family as a whole, and the second one is a backup FOB for the event that the first is lost. Now we have to actually use 2 separate FOBs depending on who the driver is. This is an example of making something technologically complicated for no purpose other then making something technologically complicated, even when the end result is stupid.

I could not find anything in the manual on how to make the top screen dim automatically based on ambient lighting condition. When I press the button to do it manually, I get 3 options: bright, night, and off (I don't recall the exact words on the screen, but that is the jist of the 3 options). Again, how ridiculous is it that every single time I am driving and the ambient light starts to get dark, I will have to MANUALLY adjust the brightness of the screen? Or when I get in the car at night, again have to manually adjust that. That is absolutely dumb and annoying from the users perspective.

I really love the car for many things, but some of the technology they give you is just poorly thought out in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
My wife has her key and I have mine. When I drive,it adjusts to me. When she drives,it adjust to her. You can’t please every one. Since the key never leaves her purse,it works.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My 11 has auto day night settings for the nav etc, I’m sure the newer ones do to. Read up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just purchased a barely used 2015 MDX SH-AWD with Tech package. Love it so far for many reasons, but have a few complaints/questions that I wanted to ask those that have owned these for longer then I have.

1) Preset seat/mirror settings: My wife is shorter then I am, but also drives this vehicle the most, so she is setting 1. When I get in, I have to set it to my setting (setting 2) before I can get in or else it is a tight fit trying to sit in my wife's setting. However, the first time I stop and get out, and then go to get back in again, it first moves everything back to setting 1 as soon as I open the door. Then I have to stand there and press my setting again before I can get in - everytime. This is incredibly annoying. I have owned cars in the past that seem to understand to stay on the last selected seat setting until another one is selected. So is this normal operation, and if so - WTF. Is there a way to override it wanting to always revert back to setting 1 every time the door is opened?

2) Display screen brightness at night: I have also owned cars with navigation/info screens that can auto detect when it is getting dark and dim themselves. This MDX appears to require the user to manually dim the display by pressing the button that has a moon or something on it. Again, WTF. Everytime you go to drive at night, you have to manually set that? Is there a display setting somewhere I am missing that does this automatically?

3) Driver Mirror Edge: The driver side mirror has a line on the far left side of the mirror. Everything to the left of that line is basically unusable mirror - i.e. it just blurs images. Was this some half-assed attempt to make the edge of the mirror convex so that you can see more area in your blind spot? If so, it is a huge fail. The visibility in that part of the mirror is really just terrible and unusable. What's the deal with that.

That's all I have for now. Just trying to understand some of the things that seem to be different or annoying compared to previous vehicles I have owned. Thank you.
1- the setting is called Memory position link, just put it in Off and your driver 1 or 1 setting will stay until you manually push the setting buttin no matter what fob you are using

2- it should adjust on it's own. As far as I remember it might not if your instrument panel brightness is set to the max, try reducing it a bit.

3- yes for convex mirror

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think the linked fob feature is fantastic, I don't see a downside. My wife and I settings and preferences are polar opposite.

The owners manual is the first thing I read when I bring a car home, lots of good info and insight into the logic/programming of the car.

Reactions: sacanada
1 - 8 of 8 Posts