Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from Florida last week and got off highway by my house. Heard a knocking sound as I idled at the light which grows louder when I accelerate. No warning lights, no smoke, no other indication other than the knocking that there was a problem. Made an appointment for Monday morning. Took car in, long story short the service advisor said you do have a knock but we don't know where it is coming from but it is deep in the engine. He goes on to say the my MDX is having a heart attack and glad we made it home. I take it to this dealership for all my maintenance (regularly) since I bought it a little over a year ago. The advisor says that the powertrain warranty should cover the repair or new engine, which they are trying to firgure that out. I bought this MDX a year ago and can't believe this happened. I came from a 2008 Honda Pilot that had 320,000 mile with really no problems to this. Hopefully this will go smoothly but when dealing with dealerships it cause get rough real quick. I bought an extended warranty because I keep cars til the wheels fall off so hopefully I'm good one way or another.
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
ANY mechanical device can fail at any time. Engines whether their assembled by hand or by a robot can have an oops simply due to the many components. A 1% failure rate is one in a hundred. How many MDX motors do you think were built in 2015? Automobile manufacturers have done a fantastic job of reducing their failure rates to way less than 1 percent. Let Acure repair or replace the motor and go. Heck if someone has reason to complain it might be me. My 2018 has spend a month so far out of 11 months in the shop trying to fix it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I haven't seen any other posts on this forum regarding a 3rd gen MDX with a symptom you describe.

As stated above, you can pick any manufacturer/model and there'll always be some that have some issues. This includes 2008 Pilots. In addition, you may not know how your vehicle was maintained and whether the oil was changed regularly, whether the oil filter was changed as it should have been, whether the oil was kept at the appropriate level, whether engine overheated, whether someone raced the engine in some way, etc. Perhaps none of these things were a problem in your vehicle and there was still an issue due to some defect.

The good news is that it appears that this'll be covered under warranty so it'll get fixed and little to no cost to you and you can then move on.

Please let us know how it turns out and what they find was wrong and perhaps the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ANY mechanical device can fail at any time. Engines whether their assembled by hand or by a robot can have an oops simply due to the many components. A 1% failure rate is one in a hundred. How many MDX motors do you think were built in 2015? Automobile manufacturers have done a fantastic job of reducing their failure rates to way less than 1 percent. Let Acure repair or replace the motor and go. Heck if someone has reason to complain it might be me. My 2018 has spend a month so far out of 11 months in the shop trying to fix it.
not complaining just seeing if anyone experienced the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts