Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched previous posts but could not find what I am looking for.

Does someone have photos or a blow up diagram of the rear cargo area? I am thinking maybe someone did a sub install and took photos. I want to remove the interior trim and see if there are any areas where I can install some hooks on the sides.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I haven't but the instructions online for the cargo net add a couple hooks on the side that hold the net. The captured nuts are already there if you know where to place the holes.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Acura sells a cargo net, part number 08L96-TZ5-200, that includes two hooks -- one on each side of the cargo area. These hooks can be used for the net, but are also useful as tie-down points and to hang grocery bags from.

Installation of the hooks does not require removal of any panels.

edit: sgkent beat me to the punch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the cargo net hooks on the floor of the cargo area. However, I need to install hooks for something else on the vertical sides, and wanted to see if there was an area where I could possibly drill holes. I understand I may need to cut part of the trim panels. I want to avoid damaging the panels in the process of removing them.

There is a thread (Title: 09 mdx subwoofer removal) with instructions for a 2007 but I am not able to post the link since I am new to the forum. Looking for something like that for a 2015 model.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have the cargo net hooks on the floor of the cargo area. However, I need to install hooks for something else on the vertical sides, and wanted to see if there was an area where I could possibly drill holes. I understand I may need to cut part of the trim panels. I want to avoid damaging the panels in the process of removing them.

There is a thread (Title: 09 mdx subwoofer removal) with instructions for a 2007 but I am not able to post the link since I am new to the forum. Looking for something like that for a 2015 model.

Did you at least LOOK at the instructions, I posted? The cargo net includes two NEW hooks, that are mounted on the SIDES of the cargo area. These are in addition to the floor-mounted loops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did look at your instructions, and thank you for those. However, I really do need to remove the trim panel.
I am not installing a cargo net. The hooks I am hoping to install are designed for some equipment my disabled father uses.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have you browsed the audio section of the site for possible subwoofer installs?

If no joy, get a $10 one-day subscription to the online service manual, Honda service express. ( Honda and Acura ) It has step-by-step procedures for everything imaginable, including trim panel removal.

I would use pre-engineered anchor points first, as p07r0457 is suggesting. If you feel the need to invent more, I would think about reinforcing the sheet metal instead of just using sheet metal screws.

And try not to drill through the outer body panels. :surprise:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will do that.

And yes, no drilling through outer body panels. I had done a similar thing to his previous SUV. It is not heavy stuff, but holding things in place via the hooks really makes his life easy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
just for the record what the stock cargo looks like installed. I recognize that you indicate it won't work for your application. The hooks use about a M6 bolt that a plastic T cap screws to on the side. 4 tie downs hold the lower end of the net. In these photos the net is flat. It can also be put up. A bolt with some kind of ring could be used instead of the plastic T's but they aren't something you could pull 200 pounds with. Seat belt anchors are also available. Might be something in the owner's manual about a child seat attachment point that would work. I think there are seat belts attached to the roof already that are in little compartments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts