Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a long time TSX owner moving up to a bigger car. Need some advice on a CPO 2015 MDX with tech package. It’s a lease returned car. Built in late 2014 and has regular maintenance by dealership.

I already done some research via my cousin who is leasing a 2016 MDX tech. She said she looking forward to returning it because of the bad tranny, unintuitive nav and bad mpg.

In 2015 model has the older tranny which some say it is better. I live in warm weather climate so I don’t think the rear strut noise issue would be a problem. I can’t escape from the unintuitive nav and bad mpg however.

Anything else to watch out for in a 2015 model?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Lots of fans of the '15 model year. If your cousin didn't get the software updates to her '16, then she is missing out on a much improved shift algorithm. Other than a few minutes of firm 1-2 shifts when cold and some reluctance to downshift at speed, the ZF 9 speed is fantastic. The firmness goes away and it will downshift when you mat the pedal, but for 97% of the driving its largely invisible.

I don't think I would describe the GPS as much unintuitive as it is cumbersome, but this has been the case since the beginning of the MDX in 2001 (and most other Honda product). Google maps and Waze are light years ahead of any OEM product so I just rest my phone against the GPS screen in cases where I need turn by turn directions. Until I get a car with AA/CarPlay this my a workaround.

Bad MPG compared to what? Its bad compared compared to a compact crossover...its great compared to a Suburban...I think its acceptable/good for what it is.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lots of info in the forums here, the search engine is your friend and will provide you with ample information on making an informed decision if it is right for you. If it is mileage you are concerned about and the fact it uses premium gas on top of it then it might not be what you are looking for. Bad transmission well you might want to read up on the transmission and what problems individuals are having and if they are being resolved or not to their satisfaction. I can tell you it is not just Honda/Acura that have transmission issues it is a topic in many other forums as well so do your research diligently to satisfy your concerns. A transmission shop is a good idea as they deal with the transmissions on a daily basis and know what goes wrong and what is available to remedy and improve the transmission woes or advise what you might expect from it. This is something you will not get from the dealership guaranteed!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014, purchased in July 2013, which is identical to a 2015 with the exception that the 2015 added a few minor improvements to the Nav, and my 2014 has been flawless.

The 6 speed tranny on it is great and is completely different than the 9 speed tranny on later models, although even with that one I wouldn't generalize a reference to it as 'bad' - if someone has a complaint about it they need to be specific about it and it needs to be understood some issues can be resolved by software updates.

The Nav isn't what I'd call unintuitive any more than many other nav systems. If one has it they should just learn how to use it. Better yet, if they're contemplating getting one and it's an important point for them, one should play with one before buying it. In addition, the Nav owner's manual can be downloaded from Acura's website beforehand and one can learn about it.

The point about 'bad MPG' doesn't even make any sense since the 3rd gen MDX gets 'great mpg' for a vehicle of its size. It out-classes pretty much everything else out there in this category as far as mileage goes. One can't compare it to a tiny lightweight coupe for mileage, of course, but compare it to any other 7 seat SUV out there and see what you think.

Given what you wrote, I wouldn't put much faith in your cousin's opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just came back from test driving the 2015 mdx. First impress was good. The exterior black paint held up well. But not so much for the beige seats and the center console buttons ie. nav, back buttons. Either they were worn or dealer didn’t clean them. It took in account that it is a used car so some wear were expected. The engine did have some ticking noise when it started. Dont know if that normal. The test drive was good. Car was very responsive. I did not hear any suspension noise over bumps. There were some creaking noise coming from the driver car door.

I did program an address on the nav and it was cumbersome compared to 07 TSX’s nav.

Yes I’m totally taking consideration of my cousin’s advise on 2016 9 speed. Im steering clear from that disaster.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just came back from test driving the 2015 mdx. First impress was good. The exterior black paint held up well. But not so much for the beige seats and the center console buttons ie. nav, back buttons. Either they were worn or dealer didn’t clean them. It took in account that it is a used car so some wear were expected. The engine did have some ticking noise when it started. Dont know if that normal. The test drive was good. Car was very responsive. I did not hear any suspension noise over bumps. There were some creaking noise coming from the driver car door.

I did program an address on the nav and it was cumbersome compared to 07 TSX’s nav.

Yes I’m totally taking consideration of my cousin’s advise on 2016 9 speed. Im steering clear from that disaster.

a 2015 should be flawless in the areas you found what I would consider to be extensive wear. Personally I would not buy a car like that. The 2015 transmission is fine. Other than an unintuitive electronics for me at least, a nav that the traffic can't be read, and a rough ride when the pavement is bumpy I have no other complaints - maybe the rear camera is hard to see sometimes when the sun is on it. My 2015 has 38,000 on it, and the CPO full ACURA FACTORY warranty (I paid extra) goes to 100,000 miles or 2022. Recently retired, and tired of working on cars so it is covered until it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bad MPG? Compared to what? I couldn't be happier with the MPG I'm getting.

I went with the 2015 for the tranny as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have enjoyed my 2015 CPO MDX thoroughly. It was a tremendous step up in every respect from my 2004 Toyota 4Runner LTD. I had my choice of a new 2016 or the Certified 2015 MDX Advance awd. I chose the 2015 BECAUSE of the 6 speed transmission. I tow a boat and the proven 6speed turned out to be a better choice than the newer 9speed. I have no complaints.
I do hear a lot of complaints on the 'clunky' NAV system but coming from my 2004 Toyota with no NAV it operates very well. If I need an address entered I normally look it up on my AcuraLink APP and just send it to my MDX. When I start the vehicle I have the option of selecting the incoming address as a destination or saving it to the Address Book and proceeding from there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We've got a 2019 MDX and I still prefer to use waze on my phone instead of the factory nav or even connecting it and running waze on the screen...lol
Same with my car. I'm just more use to using the phone screen I guess...

·
Registered
423 Posts
We have had a 14, 15, and 19 MDX as leases. We also have a 17 RDX lease. Throw in a 16 TLX 4 cylinder lease too, which just went back. Drove all kinds of Acura transmissions.

The 14 and 15 6 speed transmissions are reliable. The technology in those cars are outdated, if that matters to you.

Yes, I agree with you to stay clear of the 16. On my 19, Acura programed the 9 speed to start in 2nd gear unless you are in sport mode. I have to say, now that it has been adjusted, the 9 speed is silky smooth and makes the MDX faster in passing and from a stop. I have friends that have 18 MDXs and they love them too.

So, if budget is an issue, you can't go wrong with a 15. But, if you want Apple Car Play with updated tech...get a used 18 or new 19. The MDX behaves differently (for the best) with the 9 speed when it is programed correctly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have the dealer update the nav software before purchasing it. There was a software update TSB for the the 2015s to improve the nav system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up getting a new 2018 RAV4 LE. It’s the base model with zero gadgets and luxury in it. OTD was $23800.

The 2015 MDX with tech would have cost me OTD $28,500. It has 54k miles on it but it does come with one year CPO warranty.

Im sure the MDX would have held up beyond the one year warranty but buying something newer and cheaper feel right for the moment.

Thanks for the replies. Enjoy your mdx.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ended up getting a new 2018 RAV4 LE. It’s the base model with zero gadgets and luxury in it.
:confused:

Seems like an apples vs oranges comparison, but glad you found your vehicle.

Hopefully you were able to keep your TSX; I still miss my 2008 TSX :crying2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up getting a new 2018 RAV4 LE. It’s the base model with zero gadgets and luxury in it. OTD was $23800.

The 2015 MDX with tech would have cost me OTD $28,500. It has 54k miles on it but it does come with one year CPO warranty.

Im sure the MDX would have held up beyond the one year warranty but buying something newer and cheaper feel right for the moment.

Thanks for the replies. Enjoy your mdx.

Sounds like you took an intermediate step. A BIG jump from a TSX to an MDX for sure. Now you got an smaller SUV you can see if you like. Not a bad move. I have a 2017 MDX, and I don;t have any of the "tranny issues" people complain about. As a matter of fact, I love the 9 speed transmission, WAY faster off the line than a 2016, and I have gotten up to 28 MPG on it, WITH AWD! :surprise:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts