Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, Tiffany Here.
I purchased a new 2014 MDX two weeks ago. There is a noticeable defect with the rubber weather strip around the windows of the rear passenger doors. There is a point at the 3 o'clock position of the window seal that bends roughly 30 degrees. At that point, the seal is popping out. Looks ugly and water can get inside.

I examined all five 2014 MDX on the dealership lot, they all had this same issue. Dealership doesn't know how to fix it, and Honda Canada is asking the design engineer in U.S.

THe 2013 & 2012 MDX have the same 30 degree angle, but no such problem.

I'm asking all affected owners to ask HONDA to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I wonder if this is what the OP is referring to?

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here are some bad pics of the seal. There is in fact a bit of a gap where it should be flush. It seems to be more of an eyesore though. It doesn't seem rain is going to get in.

If you want to see something, check out the frameless windows on a Subaru. They seal purely with surface pressure, but I've never had any rain incursion.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: MDX Window Seal Defect

Here are some bad pics of the seal. There is in fact a bit of a gap where it should be flush. It seems to be more of an eyesore though. It doesn't seem rain is going to get in.

Take a look at the attached picture from my 2014 MDX. It's shockingly bad. This is the same problem found on all new 2014 MDX my dealership had on the lot. You can try patching this by manually pushing the seal in with your fingers, but that won't completely fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skyline and other 2014 MDX owners - strongly recommend that you file a warranty claim with your dealership on this issue. We need to put some pressure on the engineers to develop a fix for this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for pointing out this issue. Yes, you are right. Mine is also having the same problem. The rubber seal isn't smoothly attached.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i took a look at my rear doors. i initially thought it was just the chrome trim but its the black panel, rubber strip and the chrome trim of both rear doors. has anyone gotten this fixed by the dealerships?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine is fine, both sides, just picked it up yesterday ( 3 Sep 13).

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just made a service appt for this Saturday. I wll let you guys know what they say/find. Hopefully this will be a quick fix.
Items to be looked at are on both rear doors:
loose chrome trim
loose rubber strip
loose Black panel

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was in the service dept for other reason but mentioned about the seal as well. I was told this is normal and it should get better over time...
I was there for almost 3 hrs and don't want to wait any longer so I just leave it since there is no leak.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Omg. The service dept said there is nothing wrong with the windows. I checked the other 2 2014 mdx models...they are similar but 1 model on the floor was clearly worse than the other. They said its a "model flaw" and not a defect. So ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They said its a "model flaw" and not a defect. So ridiculous.
...and unacceptable.

Try taking it to a different dealer to see what they say about it. Alternatively, see what the management of that dealership you went through has to say about it - including the general manager of the dealership. Also tell them to check with Acura Tech Support on why it's doing this and see if there are factory fixes or workarounds for it.

I checked mine and while they're not perfectly shaped, they're not nearly as bad as the pictures Tiffany posted so I'm not concerned about them at all (but I would be if they were like Tiffany's).

I'm fairly sure this gasket will be redesigned or sourced from a different supplier and at some point this will no longer be an issue for models newer than that point.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm fairly sure this gasket will be redesigned or sourced from a different supplier and at some point this will no longer be an issue for models newer than that point.
So, these are still rolling off the line with the defect? My truck was built last week. I will sure check before delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tiffany18:

Did you ever take yours to the dealer to fix? What was the result?
Hi Jeff,

Dealership did NOT know how to fix it. I asked them to just glue it back but they refused, probably not a good idea anyways. I filed an official defect notice with Honda directly, and I've been told the MDX design engineer is looking into the problem. It's been 4 weeks but no response. What a joke... A few engineers can't figure out a fix for a weather strip?! Honda told me that MORE pressure from other customers will result in faster action.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This problem is definitely not acceptable or normal. Over time, water will creep into the gap and cause the entire weather strip to peel off, most likely after the vehicle is out of warranty. I am not even sure if the strip can just be replaced or the entire door. I've filed a claim with Honda and they have no idea on the fix yet. I'm starting to regret purchasing a first year vehicle.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This problem is definitely not acceptable or normal. Over time, water will creep into the gap and cause the entire weather strip to peel off, most likely after the vehicle is out of warranty. I am not even sure if the strip can just be replaced or the entire door. I've filed a claim with Honda and they have no idea on the fix yet. I'm starting to regret purchasing a first year vehicle.
Not the entire door. It's the glass run channel, parts #5 and #9 here:

OEM ACURA MDX 2014 REAR DOOR WINDOWS - REGULATOR parts, genuine ACURA replacement parts.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't at least try replacing the run channel as a temporary measure, since the magnitude of the problem seems to vary.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts