Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2014 MDX with 30K miles. I have been really happy with the car so far, the only thing I am not happy with is that the car pulls to the right. I had an alignment done and it stillfeels like i have to keep the wheel turned ever so slightly to the left in order to drive straight. If i don't help the wheel, it pulls significantly to the right.

Looking at the alignment data, this is what the front shows after adjustment :

Left Front Right Front
-1.8 -0.8 Camber
3.6 3.7 Caster
-0.03 0.02 Toe
Steer Ahead = -0.03

To those who know a bit more about alignments - does this make any sense? I would expect the car to pull to the left with the greater camber, but it definitely pulls to the right. Does anyone know what a "normal" camber should be? I believe the service manager told me that -2.0 would be out of spec - i'm guessing they would replace it under warranty in that case?

I drove my wife's car down the same road and drove perfectly straight so it isn't the pitch of the road.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Negative camber on LF (top of tire inside bottom) exceeding RF wheel negative camber would cause a R lead. Usually the LF wheel slightly exceeds RF to compensate for road slope (center to outside slopes down).

Camber was not adjustable on earlier MDX models. If this car is under warranty, it should be corrected. If values are in degrees, it's out of spec based on my 03-06 MDX manual. In any case a right lead is expected.

good luck

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've had issues with my sh-awd 08 RDX and 11 MDX. It could be more than just alignment:
- check alignment, balance, road force balance
- check suspension parts
- how much tread is left on tires and is it the same on all four tires. As you get close to the wear bars, less traction is available. Like wearing one dress shoe and one running shoe in the snow if front/rear and side/side treads are at different levels (MDX is still mostly fwd in sh-awd form).
- check PSI, may have to even it out and/or up or lower the PSI depending on the tires. I need to up my PSI to 36-37 on my Conti DWS to smooth out the ride and track better at 80 mph because 34 PSI felt too soft.
- check conditions of tires (poor alignment could wear the tread unevenly causing it to pull)
- rotate tires or cross rotate to help smooth out tire imperfections and promotes even wear. Cross rotation can even out a bumpy ride and help the vehicle track better
- Note road conditions asphalt compared to concrete, newly paved compared to weathered, worn/grooved roads because of 18 wheeler traffic, etc... Does it pull the same with all the different road conditions. On my 7 mile drive to work, I hit new asphalt, grooved concrete, and weathered/worn asphalt with 18 wheeler grooves and the RDX/MDX behaves differently with each road surface (also have old school hydraulic steering, which is very good at feeling road surfaces with the steering wheel).

Usually for me, rotation/cross-rotations solves the problem most of the time if everything else checks out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I picked up a 2014 MDX with 30K miles. I have been really happy with the car so far, the only thing I am not happy with is that the car pulls to the right. I had an alignment done and it stillfeels like i have to keep the wheel turned ever so slightly to the left in order to drive straight. If i don't help the wheel, it pulls significantly to the right.

Looking at the alignment data, this is what the front shows after adjustment :

Left Front Right Front
-1.8 -0.8 Camber
3.6 3.7 Caster
-0.03 0.02 Toe
Steer Ahead = -0.03

To those who know a bit more about alignments - does this make any sense? I would expect the car to pull to the left with the greater camber, but it definitely pulls to the right. Does anyone know what a "normal" camber should be? I believe the service manager told me that -2.0 would be out of spec - i'm guessing they would replace it under warranty in that case?

I drove my wife's car down the same road and drove perfectly straight so it isn't the pitch of the road.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
here are the recommended specs for front wheel alignment per Acura Service manual;

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 16 MDX with the exact same issue. Although, it seems to have manifested after a rear end collision.

5 alignments done by 3 different acura dealerships by master technicians, as well as an alignment done by a reputed shop.

BUT still drifting to the right. I have to (ever so slightly) pull the wheel a degree or two to hold the car to go straight. NOBODY CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON. ANy resolution here? See my previous posts for more info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 16 MDX with the exact same issue. Although, it seems to have manifested after a rear end collision.

5 alignments done by 3 different acura dealerships by master technicians, as well as an alignment done by a reputed shop.

BUT still drifting to the right. I have to (ever so slightly) pull the wheel a degree or two to hold the car to go straight. NOBODY CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON. ANy resolution here? See my previous posts for more info.
Did you ever identify the issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts